IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Super Mario Bros!

BeaIank

15 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

🙋🏻‍♂️ I have a question about the rules. Is what link presented a legal technique? The “1up” never comes into play.

Here's where I'm at with it: There's not actually anywhere in World 1 to do the turtle-hop-repeatedly-for-a-1up, but the rule says you can only do it once.

We're not supposed to be doing what the guy in that video is doing either because it becomes all about that instead of optimizing the run for as many points as possible in as quick of a time as possible.

Putting those 2 points together, I've been figuring that it's ok to pick 1 turtle, jump on it, send it flying and when it rebounds jump on it and send it flying one more time; but doing it over and over repeatedly is forbidden.

Administrator · Posted
42 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

🙋🏻‍♂️ I have a question about the rules. Is what link presented a legal technique? The “1up” never comes into play.

I too am curious what the call is here. Cuz it's either (IMO) as interesting score racking session where you blend speed with technique, or turtle hopping. 

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

For the sake of not burdening you with a turtle hopping technique contest, we're going to forbid continuous turtle hopping, so what is shown in the video posted by link would be forbidden.

You can use a turtle or beetle to make extra points throughout your run as you wish while advancing in the level (even if you actually hop on a same turtle twice or thrice), but you can't take a single turtle in order to hop on it numerous times while killing the clock.

@BeaIank can you second me on this please?

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, guillavoie said:

For the sake of not burdening you with a turtle hopping technique contest, we're going to forbid continuous turtle hopping, so what is shown in the video posted by link would be forbidden.

You can use a turtle or beetle to make extra points throughout your run as you wish while advancing in the level (even if you actually hop on a same turtle twice or thrice), but you can't take a single turtle in order to hop on it numerous times while killing the clock.

@BeaIank can you second me on this please?

This is correct. You can't hop on a turtle or beetle continuously. Doing it twice or thrice is fine, but you can't keep killing the clock while racking points with the hop.
Without that ruling, this week would become a hop bore fest.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

Having trouble getting any higher than 108k points, not sure what I could do to supercharge my score tbh. I'm not abusing the turtles whatsoever, I hop on em and send em on their way. I get 6 fireworks every time no prob, 5k on the pole, etc.. 

I have a couple of ideas that might squeeze out a couple extra 1ks but my problem is I can never align a perfect run for me.  I either miss a pole jump or lose my Fire Power in 1-4.  But, 108k feels within the realm of possible if I could ever find more than 10 minute sessions to play.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Gloves I wonder if I’m underestimating the value of time left on the clock

Possibly, but keep in mind that you need to hit the pole at a specific count to get the 6x fireworks.  Since it's specific to the timer being on xx6, you can have a bit of fudge to the time. For instance I usually get to the second from the top step on 1-1 by 300, if I'm fast, I can get there before 310 and if I'm super lucky, I can get there at 320 with no time to spare.  If I just from that point with good timing, I'll hit 296/316/326 and get the fireworks plus the extra time bonus for the 10-counts that are saved.

Note, it's critical that you hit the 5000 point jump or what's the point?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@RH yes I knew about the fireworks. They are the best. I just wonder if the 1k stuff isn’t as valuable as I think.

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, well, that's part of the trade off.  If you know you can get to the end by, say, 305, that gives you 5 counts until you need to make your jump to get 5000+fireworks, based off of timing.  If you can snag an extra flower power in those 5-counts, then yes.  I sped-ran at least 1-1 to see what my optimal speed would be.  It's tough but I can make that 320 if I really, really push.  IMHO, for me, it's worth going for some extra 1ks with the 10 extra counts I get by dropping down to the 310 range.  And actually, that's tough to get too, but it is doable.

But, that's my strategy so far for 1-1.  I can't give all my secrets. I think I could actually be legit competitive on this one if I had a chance of hitting all of the points and optimizations I've counted in these 4 levels.

Also, what's the deal with not getting a timer bonus on 1-4?!  Again, I never paid attention to the points in this game until now.  I feel soooo robbed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RH said:

I can't give all my secrets.

Also, what's the deal with not getting a timer bonus on 1-4?!  Again, I never paid attention to the points in this game until now.  I feel soooo robbed. 

Nobody likes a share bear @Bearcat-Doug 😁

yes time does not matter in 1-4 as far as points.

Administrator · Posted
17 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@RH yes I knew about the fireworks. They are the best. I just wonder if the 1k stuff isn’t as valuable as I think.

50 points per "second" on the clock at the end, so 20 "seconds" = 1000 points. If you can nab the fire flower and it not  lose more than 20 "seconds" on the clock, it's worth it.

• Like 1