IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Super Mario Bros!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, @guillavoie and proudly present the 2023 VGS NES Weekly contest, continuing with the tradition that is over a decade long!

We will have a shorter season this year to not burn out our players with games usually focusing on fast and furious rulesets to allow our competitors to quickly try again and again to get that winning score!
Expect too see fierce competition, drama, epic rivalries and great scores all through the season! Our skilled players will put the best of their skills to the test!

And what a better game to start this season than the classic of all classics SUPER MARIO BROS? DO THE MARIO!!!

Without further ado, here are the rules for Super Mario Bros:

• Beat World 1 in one life and take your picture at the start of World 2-1
  • You are only allowed one loop of turtle hoping. You must hop the turtle or beetle till you get the 1up then stop and not repeat it. Anyone caught doing more than one loop of turtle hoping will have their score disqualified.
  • Highest score wins.
  • In case of a score tie, highest amount of coins wins. 

It is good to be back! Let's have a grand season!
"Faster than a vanishing clog! More powerful than an electric drainsnake! It's Super Mario!"

The contest ends Sunday, 02/04/23 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Events Team · Posted
1st PII 148,150
2nd BlackVega 146,050
3rd Gloves 144,750
4th Dr. Morbis 132,750
5th JamesRobot 129,350
6th Richardhead 125,450
7th docile tapeworm 125,300
8th NESfiend 121,950
9th RH 114,850
10th nesmaster14 109,750
11th Krunch 105,700
12th mdb39 104,200
13th TriHart 103,300
14th Abner Stomps 102,400
15th TWarwick07 100,650
16th SuperJimtendo 99,550
17th Murray 67,050
18th G-type 66,700
19th a3quit4s 65,550
  • Like 2

Do the Mario indeed

skinny’s scoreboard

1. Pizza pie - 144500

2. Ti83- 126900

3. James “robot” jones - 123100

4. Obedient poop eater - 118650

5. Initial here, here and here - 108200

6. I’ve got an nes jones - 103250

7. Whoa Oh abner is the color of your energy - 102400

8. Jimmy ❤️ - 99550

9. Might g my type - 66700

10. #’s in my n4m3 - 65550

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3

Events Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, RH said:

And @BeaIank, just to be clear, we play stages 1-1 to 1-4, no death allowed.

I assume if we die we can take a photo from the stage we are on when it resets?

Nay.

If you die your run is invalid. You MUST make it to 2-1 for your score to be valid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I'm curious as to where any turtle hopping to run up the score to the point of a 1-up is in world 1.  I know there's the classic/traditional spot in world 3-1, but nothing equivalent in the first one.

My guess is, maybe, the turtle at the end of 1-3. There is one you can knock into a wall, but I thought you had to do the 1-Up trick on steps. Maybe it was a general rule to avoid points pressing.  Although, I’d also be 100% fine with allowing it.  There’s always a timer ticking down so if you’re good enough to hit the 1-Ups, then go for it because you have to eventually stop so you can beat the stage.

With that said though, I never payed attention to the score when I played this game in the past.  I was surprised to see that 1-Up mushrooms do not affect your score . Is the same true for 1-Up turtles? I don’t know?

Edited by RH

148,000       [obsolete]

147,050       [obsolete]

146,050       [obsolete]

145,650       [obsolete]

144,500       [obsolete]

141,900       [obsolete]

122,400       [obsolete]

148,150.png

Edited by PII
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, RH said:

Be prepared to be wowed by my mediocrity!

Score: 69,150

I just wanted to get a score on the board.  I’m pretty sure this is a good baseline for everyone. Also, I only got fireworks once. 😕

F9C43689-187B-423C-A02F-CC1056E1742D.thumb.jpeg.8949b39f7eb151019d555bf4ad5d4a42.jpeg

And @BeaIank, just to be clear, we play stages 1-1 to 1-4, no death allowed.

I assume if we die we can take a photo from the stage we are on when it resets?

59 minutes ago, Abner Stomps said:

Can anybody post a score?  Was there a sign-up?

W1-SMB.thumb.jpg.7cf55d60d287fe2e73742714064b8f0d.jpg

42 minutes ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Whoa same device 

I just want to say that I wasn't (and I'm still not) feeling well yesterday and knowing that I had a billion games loaded on my Analogue Pocket, I'd throw up my first score from the device.  I really want to play these games on the original hardware (when possible) but man, this device is solid, responsive and just plays great.  I can't say some final score won't be submitted from this thing, from me.

And welcome aboard @Abner Stomps.  I assume you're new, because I'm too lazy to check your profile to see if you're someone who's simply changed their name. 😛

21 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

I'm curious as to where any turtle hopping to run up the score to the point of a 1-up is in world 1.  I know there's the classic/traditional spot in world 3-1, but nothing equivalent in the first one.

@BeaIank I assume this behavior is what you're trying to ban?  I just wanted clarification.  Technically, this WR holder for most points in 1-1 isn't doing the 1-up trick but it's close and the same general idea.  (Sorry, I couldn't find a YouTube video.  Skip to about 30 seconds to see what this guy does.)

https://recordsetter.com/world-record/highest-score-level-1-1-super-mario-bros-nes/33194

Events Team · Posted

5 minutes ago, RH said:

@BeaIank I assume this behavior is what you're trying to ban?  I just wanted clarification.  Technically, this WR holder for most points in 1-1 isn't doing the 1-up trick but it's close and the same general idea.  (Sorry, I couldn't find a YouTube video.  Skip to about 30 seconds to see what this guy does.)

https://recordsetter.com/world-record/highest-score-level-1-1-super-mario-bros-nes/33194

If I don't ban the turtle hoping loop, then this week will become a bore fest of turtle hoping instead of level optimization that tries to achieve lightning fast completion while maximizing point scoring opportunities.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RH said:

Sorry, I couldn't find a YouTube video.  Skip to about 30 seconds to see what this guy does.)

That is a Youtube video, lol. See the Youtube logo in the corner? Click it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xNOLZ5H8bg4

42 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That exact princess TV is on display at the local video game store, but they won't sell it to me 😞  It's sitting beside a yellow Spongebob TV, but the princess one actually looks way better...

When you adjust the volume Ariel “swims” left to right with bubbles behind her representing the volume level. When you change the channel Cinderella accompanies the number. It’s pretty cool.

• Like 2