IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Super Mario Bros!

BeaIank

4 minutes ago, RH said:

I updated my score before the buzzer. I was really hoping to get one more to bump me up a ranking, but oh well.  I’m happy where I am.

I was trying last minute and didnt get there. Honestly, my "perfect run" wouldnt add much more. That damn @docile tapeworm did though kicking me down to 8th. Crazy stiff competition this week! I am excited to see what I was missing here. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

How? My mind is blown

Like I said, I'll make a video.  In the meantime here's some figuring I did for the maximum possible point accumulations for each level and the grand total for World 1

1-1)       54,200

1-2)       59,650

1-3)      29,000

1-4)      7,200

So the most points a player could have after 1-2 is 113,850

The most points a player could have after 1-3 is 142,850

and the highest grand total possible after 1-4 would be 150,050

Additionally, the first 3 stages would have to be finished with the following times left on the clock:

2:86

2:56

2:16

...and we all know that time doesn't not, not matter on 1-4 😉 

think it might be possible to squeak out another 50 points on level 1-1 but that theory is untested at this juncture.  If it proves possible then the total possible would be 150,100...

Edited by PII
  • Wow! 2

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

How? My mind is blown

The first two turtles, let them go past you to the left, then knock them to the left to bounce off the wall and run your ass off to the right. Slide under the bricks and take a hit from the turtle on the right and keep running (taking advantage of the momentary invincibility) to just past the goombas (which you want to let the turtle shell chasing you hit). After the shell has hit all the goombas, jump on it to stop it, which will give the other 3 goombas time to fall down. Then jump over the turtle (to the left of it) and send it on its way to the right again to mow down the 3 extra goombas. The score multiplier continues despite the shell being stopped, so you get the 2000, 5000, and 8000 point rewards from the last 3 goombas.

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The first two turtles, let them go past you to the left, then knock them to the left to bounce off the wall and run your ass off to the right. Slide under the bricks and take a hit from the turtle on the right and keep running (taking advantage of the momentary invincibility) to just past the goombas (which you want to let the turtle shell chasing you hit). After the shell has hit all the goombas, jump on it to stop it, which will give the other 3 goombas time to fall down. Then jump over the turtle (to the left of it) and send it on its way to the right again to mow down the 3 extra goombas. The score multiplier continues despite the shell being stopped, so you get the 2000, 5000, and 8000 point rewards from the last 3 goombas.

71ab4a2e-9c5b-41e4-ac17-8e8759082a5b_text.gif

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gloves said:
2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

How did you guys figure that out? @Gloves @PII

I watched old world record high score videos. (there's nothing new about any of the techniques used this week, to my knowledge)

I also watched a couple of these and figured out a few tricks of my own.  That is how I came up with the figures above.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, PII said:

I also watched a couple of these and figured out a few tricks of my own.  That is how I came up with the figures above.

Yeah, I spent a lot of time optimizing the timing, hitting extra/fewer blocks to account for the up to 500 points from not having to wait for the clock to roll down for the pole jump.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Yeah, I spent a lot of time optimizing the timing, hitting extra/fewer blocks to account for the up to 500 points from not having to wait for the clock to roll down for the pole jump.

I certainly did something similar.  I generally went for all the blocks I could get, but, mostly on level 1-1 would skip certain blocks if I was significantly behind on time.  But (if I understand you correctly) rather than trying to focus on cotrolling my timing as I went, I tried to do everything as fast as possible and then came up with 2 or 3 different ways of jumping up the stairs at the end depending on how much time I had left to get into position.

Edited by PII
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, PII said:

I certainly did something similar.  I generally went for all the blocks I could get, but, mostly on level 1-1 would skip certain blocks if I was significantly behind on time.  But (if I understand you correctly) rather than trying to focus on the time as I went, I tried to do everything as fast as possible and then came up with 2 or 3 different ways of jumping up the stairs at the end depending on how much time I had left to get into position.

My problem in the end was being able to actually do the thing. I'm not THAT great at platformers, so having some small mistake here and there would get me every time. I'd have a good run but take a hit on level 1-3 or something silly. My submitted high score is actually from a run where I fucked up the pole jump and got 2000 points instead of 5000. Now that was upsetting.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

My problem in the end was being able to actually do the thing. I'm not THAT great at platformers, so having some small mistake here and there would get me every time. I'd have a good run but take a hit on level 1-3 or something silly. My submitted high score is actually from a run where I fucked up the pole jump and got 2000 points instead of 5000. Now that was upsetting.

Yeah, If I had a nickel for every killer run I was having when some ridiculous blunder occured, SHEESH!  I wish I could make a blooper reel of just all the things that can go wrong in like the first 10 seconds of 1-1.  Maybe I'll figure that out one of these days... Anyway, for a guy who claims to be "not THAT great at platformers", you did quite well..., ya know...., for a Calculator 😉 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PII said:

Yeah, If I had a nickel for every killer run I was having when some ridiculous blunder occured, SHEESH!  I wish I could make a blooper reel of just all the things that can go wrong in like the first 10 seconds of 1-1.  Maybe I'll figure that out one of these days... Anyway, for a guy who claims to be "not THAT great at platformers", you did quite well..., ya know...., for a Calculator 😉 

I thought I had smb3 in the bag the first year gloves played. I had placed second to “erizisto” the time before. 
this gloves guy shows up and figured out 1-1 like the first or second day. I was like ffffuuuuuuu

its funny though @Gloves you aren’t as good at other platformers as you are at the SMB games. It’s how the game controls though. It’s like a good shooter. It feels so good to hit the run perfect….

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I thought I had smb3 in the bag the first year gloves played. I had placed second to “erizisto” the time before. 
this gloves guy shows up and figured out 1-1 like the first or second day. I was like ffffuuuuuuu

its funny though @Gloves you aren’t as good at other platformers as you are at the SMB games. It’s how the game controls though. It’s like a good shooter. It feels so good to hit the run perfect….

The format this year especially man... it's addicting hah.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PII said:

Yeah, If I had a nickel for every killer run I was having when some ridiculous blunder occured, SHEESH!  I wish I could make a blooper reel of just all the things that can go wrong in like the first 10 seconds of 1-1.  

I've said this before, when we first got our Nintendo in 1989 or whatever, my father gave the whole console a try exactly one time. He immediately ran into the first goomba and handed the controller back, sort of chuckling at his ineptitude, and never ever had any interest whatsoever in giving it another try. My mother was even less into any of it than that. 

6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I could easily see this fact being integral to a number of strategies on later levels, though I've not bothered to look. 

It's definitely a quirk of the programming, like I'm pretty sure not intentional. Yet also not a glitch in the way wall clipping to the minus world is. Could it have to do with timing? Or the shell counts as [enemy] regardless of its apparent function? 

2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Rule should have been once a turtle hits a wall you can only kill it 

I don't know, honestly.  On the one hand, keeping things "pure" makes it a raw game of skill, but many of these little glitchy flourishment's separates the men from the boys, but even then, our scores aren't THAT far apart.  If I had another week at this, maybe I could have broken 125,000 and if the top is theoretically 152,000, I'd be happy being about 25k from the top.

@BeaIank I know a lot of this specific competition is great due to the games deisgn, but these simple rules for just the first four stages, with the nerfing of the turtle-hopping really made this an awesome week!  I just want to say thanks.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, RH said:

I don't know, honestly.  On the one hand, keeping things "pure" makes it a raw game of skill, but many of these little glitchy flourishment's separates the men from the boys, but even then, our scores aren't THAT far apart.  If I had another week at this, maybe I could have broken 125,000 and if the top is theoretically 152,000, I'd be happy being about 25k from the top.

@BeaIank I know a lot of this specific competition is great due to the games deisgn, but these simple rules for just the first four stages, with the nerfing of the turtle-hopping really made this an awesome week!  I just want to say thanks.

I am glad you all had fun this week. The idea was to make it fast to do so no large time commitment was needed, and to spice things up so people could find spots and mechanics they could exploit to achieve a higher score.

I will work on keeping things like that in many of the games we will be running this year.

• Like 2