IGNORED

Double Down Throwdown 2023 -- Sign Ups Open!

darkchylde28

IT'S BAAAAAAAACK!!

spacer.png

Who remembers these?  I do!  Nearly 10 years ago, when my wife was first pregnant with our son, she was diagnosed with gestational diabetes.  This, as a result, changed what and where she could eat.  We used part of our FMLA (yes, our FMLA, because we both worked at the same place, government rules forced us to share the same 12 weeks versus giving us each our own) for the OBGYN appointments, and as such would usually stop someplace to grab lunch on the way so as to note use up too much time, nor have to skip lunch entirely.  KFC happened to be at the top of the list so far as sugar/carbs were concerned, so we ate there a good bit.

The first time or two that we visited, I recalled all the hubbub about the Double Down, so I looked at the menu, didn't see it, then asked the cashier if it was still available.  They didn't know, called for their manager, and the manager came up and let them know that while it wasn't officially on the menu anymore, it was still in the register, and all the things to make them had always been carried in the store, so anyone who wanted one just had to ask.  So, I ordered first Double Down (of many), enjoyed it thoroughly, and continued to order one every time we visited, up until the birth of my son, at which point eating out so much fell out of style since we didn't have the time nor inclination to deal with it.

A few years later, I was out with my brother, we were reminiscing about various foods we'd loved in the past, and the Double Down came up.  My description was so stirring that he immediately sought out the very same KFC that I'd eaten at so many times before in search of such a delight.  Sadly, management had changed, and despite the fact that KFC still stocked all the ingredients in-house in order to make such a delight, they were no longer inclined to, regardless of how we asked, pleaded, or tried to special-order a sandwich still on the menu.  Feeling defeated and disappointed, my brother and I got back in the car and proceeded to leave.  As we were getting ready to turn into traffic, I suddenly told my brother to turn the opposite way, and proceeded to direct him to go to Bojangles.  I explained that while KFC had dug their heels into the sand, there wasn't any reason to believe that we couldn't try to custom order a version of the Double Down at another chicken sandwich restaurant.  We got there quickly, and I spent the next 10-15 minutes at the counter explaining several times to both the cashier, and later his manager, exactly what I wanted.  Finally, they understood, and the manager explained to the cashier how to ring it in--club chicken sandwich, extra patty, then special instructions to the kitchen to skip the bun, use the patties as bread, and put the club bits and condiments in between the chicken.  We each ordered one and were not disappointed when they were brought out to our table a short while later.  While my brother was amazed at what he was tasting, I knew that it wasn't quite the same as the real thing, and felt that while the Bojangles version was good, it wasn't quite as good as the KFC original.

Well, as of Monday, I'll have my chance to find out.  Anyone else planning to head out to KFC on the 6th and hit them up for a Double Down as soon as the doors open?  Sadly, these are only supposed to be available for 4 weeks (as the original release was, which ended up actually sticking around for closer to a year), so get out there and get one while you can!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:  Well, it appears that this discussion has spawned an informal event.  If interested, please sign up somewhere in the thread, and make sure to @ me so that I definitely know you're signing up!  The current plan is for everyone participating to obtain and consume a KFC Double Down on the same day, then share photos of what they bought and/or them eating it, as well as their thoughts on the food and overall experience further on in the thread.  The date has yet to be determined, but will be posted here with the other "event" info as soon as it's determined.  A list of folks signed up to participate will be listed below.  Looking forward to "seeing" as many like-minded folks as possible!

"Official" Unofficial Sign Up List:

1.  darkchylde28
  2. Link
  3. Gloves
  4. MagusSmurf
  5. Murray

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Code Monkey said:

I have never had one of these and I can't imagine why any individual would want to consume that. How many grams of sodium and fat are in that?

There's nothing wrong with trying something for fun. It's not like eating a single one of these very over-indulgent things is going to result in a drastic life-altering turn for the worst. Live a little!

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I have never had one of these and I can't imagine why any individual would want to consume that.

There was (and maybe still is) a restaurant called the Heart Attack Grill that marketed food worse than that. I remember Quest4NES also thought one of P.F. Chang's high sodium dishes was "delicious."

7 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

How many grams of sodium and fat are in that?

https://fastfoodnutrition.org/kfc/double-down-with-original-recipe-filet

Total Fat 37g 57%
Saturated Fat 11.0g 55%
Trans Fat 1.0g  
Cholesterol 150mg 50%
Sodium 1880mg 78%

🤯

Edited by Tulpa

Events Helper · Posted
16 minutes ago, Gloves said:

There's nothing wrong with trying something for fun. It's not like eating a single one of these very over-indulgent things is going to result in a drastic life-altering turn for the worst. Live a little!

I am on a new diet to get healthier.....might be a cheat day in the future before this disappears 😆 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

37g fat, 1880 mg sodium. Only 610 calories!

And people wonder why heart disease is the leading killer of people in America. The recommended daily intake of sodium is 1.5 grams and that doesn't include the fries that probably come with this. So statistically speaking, you are consuming about 2 days worth of sodium in a single portion of a single meal in one day.

I can't imagine anyone looking at this and thinking it's a good idea but I guess people smoke too so I don't really get it.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

I have never had one of these and I can't imagine why any individual would want to consume that.

At first, for the sheer curiosity.  Afterward, because the taste, texture, etc., are amazing.

1 hour ago, glazball said:

I'd prefer to live a lot, tyvm.  This is garbage.

Yep.  Hot, delicious garbage!

2 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

And people wonder why heart disease is the leading killer of people in America. The recommended daily intake of sodium is 1.5 grams and that doesn't include the fries that probably come with this. So statistically speaking, you are consuming about 2 days worth of sodium in a single portion of a single meal in one day.

I can't imagine anyone looking at this and thinking it's a good idea but I guess people smoke too so I don't really get it.

Yeah, it's unhealthy.  But so are 90%+ of what most people eat every day.  I'm willing to bet that if you listed out for us everything that you eat or drink in a day, you, just as most, are also well over your daily allotment of sodium.  Regardless of how careful you are with sodium, cholesterol, etc., it can be incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to be at or under the daily recommended dosage of everything, even if you're only eating "good," "healthy" stuff.

Everybody splurges sometimes, and for me, that's what this is--a splurge that I used to get once every couple of weeks, and now, nearly a decade later, maybe a time or two more before it vanishes again for however long (if not forever).

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Well, if you have ONE, like maybe once a month, and eat an otherwise healthy diet, it's not going to kill you.

I mean, we can debate how it tastes, as that's a subjective thing, but it's not like you take one bite and suddenly your heart goes "TOO MUCH SODIUM, MUST EXPLODE!"