IGNORED

Double Down Throwdown 2023 -- Sign Ups Open!

darkchylde28

• The title was changed to Double Down Throwdown 2023 -- Sign Ups Open!

Well folks, it's unofficially official!  We're doing it!  Anybody interested in participating in a communal sampling of KFC's most outrageous sandwich should feel free to @ me and let me know that you're officially signing up.  Any thoughts, opinions, etc., regarding when this all should take place would be welcomed and appreciated as well.

Thank you to @Gloves for suggesting such an event, and to @Link for inadvertently providing the name!

Looking forward to more interactions with fellow "WTF did I just eat, OMG it's actually good" enthusiasts!

22 minutes ago, Rhapsody98 said:

I would like to point out that this is essentially what happened to my father, after a dinner at Captain D’s 🤢.   

Did he have the otherwise healthy diet though?

Uhh @darkchylde28 you can sign me up... are you still allowed though? Is there gonna be a discussion when everybody gets home? 😂 

Just now, Link said:

Did he have the otherwise healthy diet though?

Ehh...he ate what he wanted, which was sometimes healthy, but more often than not, pretty crappy.  He also had a massive, serious heart condition that he hadn't disclosed to everyone at the time of his death, so it didn't exactly come out of nowhere, even if we all felt that it was too soon.

2 minutes ago, Link said:

Uhh @darkchylde28 you can sign me up... are you still allowed though? Is there gonna be a discussion when everybody gets home? 😂 

lol, yeah, I'm good to go.  She was the first person I told this morning when I discovered the good news, and kept her up-to-date when the possibility of a community "event' first got brought up.  So far I've gotten a smirk and a bit of an eye roll, so I figure I'm locked in.  😎

7 minutes ago, Gloves said:

@darkchylde28 I'm in, assuming it comes to Canada at the same time.

I would hope so, but nothing I've been able to find about the current re-release says one way or another.  One thing I did find, though, was that you sneaky Canucks got a Canadian-exclusive return of the Double Down in October of 2021!  How could you!  😭

Seriously, though, I can go ahead and add you to the list now while we try to find out for certain.  I'm on hold with KFC right now, just waiting through horrendous hold music to ask, lol.

5 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

Here's my review from what I remember. Too much chicken. If I were to want to even try this sandwich again, I'd only eat half, if that.

Hey, if that's your sole issue with it, feel free to sign up, grab one, and dig in on only half when we all (virtually) get together and chow down!

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Ehh...he ate what he wanted, which was sometimes healthy, but more often than not, pretty crappy.  He also had a massive, serious heart condition that he hadn't disclosed to everyone at the time of his death, so it didn't exactly come out of nowhere, even if we all felt that it was too soon.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, haha. I generally watch what I eat so I'm ok with 200% sodium for one day or whatever and there will be no one bite heart-explodey. (Sorry for your loss you & Rhap)

38 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

So far I've gotten a smirk and a bit of an eye roll, so I figure I'm locked in.  😎

😎😂 

• Thanks 1

@Gloves, just got off the phone with KFC US and then their Canadian Corporate/Media line and couldn't get an answer.  Neither place had been made aware by HQ that the Double Down was coming back, but supervisors in each place took a look and saw it starting to blow up all over social media.  The super nice lady on the US line got audibly excited when I mentioned our informal "event," and let slip that it's supposed to be a $5 (USD) sandwich, which isn't at all bad given what fast food tends to cost these days.  I left my name, number, and email with both numbers, and they're supposed to each run my question up the chain and get us an answer.  I'll ping you and post it here once I get some sort of answer about whether the re-release is continent-wide or not.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Link said:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, haha. I generally watch what I eat so I'm ok with 200% sodium for one day or whatever and there will be no one bite heart-explodey. (Sorry for your loss you & Rhap)

😎😂 

Thanks man.

It would only be 200% if you ate like normal day-of, then ate a Double Down in addition to everything else.  Once we get a game plan together on getting together, so long as we're all mindful of what we're eating, we could potentially all stay at or under the recommended sodium for the day, which is ~2300-2500mg.  Still, totally blowing it for a single day (minus any serious health issues) shouldn't be so bad.

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

@Gloves, just got off the phone with KFC US and then their Canadian Corporate/Media line and couldn't get an answer.  Neither place had been made aware by HQ that the Double Down was coming back, but supervisors in each place took a look and saw it starting to blow up all over social media.  The super nice lady on the US line got audibly excited when I mentioned our informal "event," and let slip that it's supposed to be a $5 (USD) sandwich, which isn't at all bad given what fast food tends to cost these days.  I left my name, number, and email with both numbers, and they're supposed to each run my question up the chain and get us an answer.  I'll ping you and post it here once I get some sort of answer about whether the re-release is continent-wide or not.

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

...what?  Thanks to Gloves, we're basically having a family reunion.  Everybody gets together, eats chicken, and shoots the breeze.  Except in this case, instead of everybody getting together to visit one another and happening to all bring fried chicken (seriously, both sides of my wife's family were notorious for this), we're all getting fried chicken and getting together because of the chicken.  😎🐔🍗  You know you want to be part of Double Down Throwdown 2023!

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, darkchylde28 said:

...what?  Thanks to Gloves, we're basically having a family reunion.  Everybody gets together, eats chicken, and shoots the breeze.  Except in this case, instead of everybody getting together to visit one another and happening to all bring fried chicken (seriously, both sides of my wife's family were notorious for this), we're all getting fried chicken and getting together because of the chicken.  😎🐔🍗  You know you want to be part of Double Down Throwdown 2023!

I will see what i can do, what is the date we are planning to choke down all the sodium?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

And people wonder why heart disease is the leading killer of people in America. The recommended daily intake of sodium is 1.5 grams and that doesn't include the fries that probably come with this. So statistically speaking, you are consuming about 2 days worth of sodium in a single portion of a single meal in one day.

I can't imagine anyone looking at this and thinking it's a good idea but I guess people smoke too so I don't really get it.

I have a random pack of instant noodles at my desk (it did a trip to America and back again, don't ask). It contains 1962 grams of sodium...

IMG20230303083958.jpg

21 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I will see what i can do, what is the date we are planning to choke down all the sodium?

No formal or suggested date yet.  I initially was going to suggest Saturday, since it was Game Night, then realized my error in suggesting a date that was 2 days before wide-release, lol.  Maybe the following Game Night (3/18/2023)?

10 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

@darkchylde28  

Holy fuck, with that calorie amount, that is almost the majority of my caloric intake for the day 😆.

The Double Down weighs in at 950 calories

Damn, son, you started all the way at the bottom with dieting versus working your way down, didn't you?  😁

Events Helper · Posted

No formal or suggested date yet.  I initially was going to suggest Saturday, since it was Game Night, then realized my error in suggesting a date that was 2 days before wide-release, lol.  Maybe the following Game Night (3/18/2023)?

uh, sure......i will fast all day until dinner....... 😆

Events Helper · Posted

Damn, son, you started all the way at the bottom with dieting versus working your way down, didn't you?  😁

No, i have more than that, but if i don't want to starve all day, right now i am just doing the calorie count via an app.  I am eating a lot less and am feeling ok so far 😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

lol, yeah, I'm good to go.  She was the first person I told this morning when I discovered the good news, and kept her up-to-date when the possibility of a community "event' first got brought up.  So far I've gotten a smirk and a bit of an eye roll, so I figure I'm locked in.  😎

If I remember from this morning, you asked me if *I* wanted one, which leads me to believe you might have some sort of life insurance policy out on me that I know nothing about.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Jeevan said:

uh, sure......i will fast all day until dinner....... 😆

Or you could do what I did the last time I dieted to lose weight--figure out the caloric rate that extra stuff you have to do anyway works out to and factor that in as positive calories.  I went for like 6 months straight, dropped around 50lbs, and didn't have a single cheat day.  If I got to the point where I felt I NEEDED something else, I'd go figure out something that needed doing and work at it (go mow a lawn, hand wash a bunch of dishes, etc.).

4 minutes ago, Brickman said:

I love KFC but could never bring myself to eat one of these when they were here. They also released a Pizza one here which was two zinger fillets with pepperoni, pizza sauce and cheese. 

Also, everyone needs to watch the KFC movie if they've never seen it 😆

WTF did I just watch?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rhapsody98 said:

If I remember from this morning, you asked me if *I* wanted one, which leads me to believe you might have some sort of life insurance policy out on me that I know nothing about.

Hey, I also pointed out what your doctor did, that splurging every once in a while wasn't the end of the world, it just couldn't be a common thing.  And that's how you got to be able to eat normal Thanksgiving every year.  😘

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, darkchylde28 said:

Or you could do what I did the last time I dieted to lose weight--figure out the caloric rate that extra stuff you have to do anyway works out to and factor that in as positive calories.  I went for like 6 months straight, dropped around 50lbs, and didn't have a single cheat day.  If I got to the point where I felt I NEEDED something else, I'd go figure out something that needed doing and work at it (go mow a lawn, hand wash a bunch of dishes, etc.).

i am not gonna go off trying to boost my bonus calories 😆.  I am going off of what i am supposed to be burning and just eating less, i will figure it into my alloted calorie count, if i do anything extra that is good, but i ain't eating extra because of it lol.