IGNORED

Double Down Throwdown 2023 -- Sign Ups Open!

darkchylde28

2 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Dude, if there are McDonald’s that have “legacy” menus, I am sooooo finding one and planning a trip around it. 
I think the reason I loved the pizza so much is it seemed to taste like black pepper.  I mean, you can put pepper in and on anything but when you cook it, it’s different.  It had an uncooked pepper flavor from a cooked pizza and it was amazing to me.

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

...what?  Thanks to Gloves, we're basically having a family reunion.  Everybody gets together, eats chicken, and shoots the breeze.  Except in this case, instead of everybody getting together to visit one another and happening to all bring fried chicken (seriously, both sides of my wife's family were notorious for this), we're all getting fried chicken and getting together because of the chicken.  😎🐔🍗  You know you want to be part of Double Down Throwdown 2023!

You can never have too much fried chicken, especially at a family reunion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
4 hours ago, Gloves said:

We should all "sign up" in this thread like "I'm gonna go get one on DayX" and we all agree to go on the same day and then post photos of our Double Downs and eat 'em together like the buds we are.

I'll see if there's one close to Skyline so I can really punish my intestines.   (And the work toilets)

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I'll see if there's one close to Skyline so I can really punish my intestines.   (And the work toilets)

So does this mean we should count you in for the forthcoming "event?"

24 minutes ago, G-type said:

This was KFCs take on chicken cordon bleu

I could see that interpretation, and looking at it that way, I think they completely succeeded.  As far as non-homemade versions of the dish are concerned, KFC's blew everyone else out of the water, IMO.

Well folks, when I got up this morning and got logged into my email, I discovered this:

spacer.png

Then, when I attempted to use the link after all the local stores opened at 11, I was disappointed, as it kept going to a page that said something along the lines of, "Oops, this store doesn't offer this item, please select something else from our menu," which was fairly infuriating.  I kept at it, though, and either KFC's folks finally updated their website to work correctly with the link they provided, or I simply managed to figure out exactly what order I had to do things on the site (sign in, tell it I wanted to place an order for pick up, select a local store), but I finally got it to go to the page for the long lost Double Down, with "Secret Recipe Fries" listed below it as an option.  It turns out that the link couldn't get the KFC app to ever load, instead going to the "Oops" page every time, so I ended up duplicating my desktop results in the browser on my phone so I'd be able to get my order placed when it was time.

I ordered pizza for everybody else, then rushed out to get it, picked it up, rushed home, got everybody settled, then set off for my quest.  Since my brother had been involved the last time I had tried to pick up such a sandwich, I gave him a ring, woke him from a sound sleep, then asked him if he wanted me to order one for him as well, since the page allowed me to bump the quantity I wanted to order past 1.  As soon as he understood what I was asking, he came fully awake, gave me a bleary eye "yes, absolutely," then confirmed that he, too, wanted to give the accompanying fries a shot.  Then we ended up talking for like an hour before I managed to get off the phone and place the order.  But it got placed!  The website said it would be ready in about 5 minutes, but I took my time driving across town.  By the time I got to the restaurant, something closer to 15 minutes had passed.  I could hardly wait!

So, I pulled into the entrance, noticed the parking lot was half full (at nearly 2:00 PM on a Sunday), but the drive thru was empty.  "This should be quick," I thought.  I pulled up, was promptly greeted, then advised that I was there to pick up an online order.  "The Double Downs?"  'Yep, that's me,' I confirmed.  "Please pull ahead," I was advised.  So I did.  When I pulled up to the window, the lady running drive thru popped open the window to tell me that it would be about 5 minutes or so, as they were having to get the bacon out and get it prepped and asked that I pull forward so they could bring it out to me when it was ready.  I advised that I would, then did so.  Approximately 5 minutes later, the same woman came to up to my window, but alas, her hands were empty.  "It's actually going to be about another 15 minutes, we don't even have the patties, but I've got someone pulling them right now.  Will that be ok?"  Well, what choice did I have?  I got picked as a participant in KFC's promotional "contest" specifically so I could get a shot at the Double Down early, so I was kind of held hostage.  I let her know that was fine and advised I had a couple of other things I needed to do, so I'd do that and come back.

I pulled away, a bit disappointed, but still determined.  I pulled out onto the highway, then drove three doors down to a gas station, then went inside and picked up a couple of 2-liters that my brother had requested I grab and bring along with me, hopped back in car, then made my way three doors down the other way and parked in the back of KFC's lot.  I shut off the car, set a timer for 10 minutes (the rest of the time I'd been advised to wait), and sat back and enjoyed all the sunshine and warm weather.  When the timer went off, I backed out, headed back to the drive thru, and repeated the first part of my previous encounter.  "Oh, we've only just dropped your patties, it'll be another 12 minutes or so."  Oh boy.  So this is how the day was going to go.  "Is it ok if I just pull around the building and park in the "Quick Pickup" spot while waiting for you to bring it out" I asked.  "Absolutely" the cashier confirmed.  So I let off the brakes, swung the car a little further out from the building (since I was going to be doing a 180 through the turnaround just in front of it) and started down past the drive thru again.

"Hey honey, wait!" I heard as I passed, so I hit the brakes and backed up.  It was the same lady that I'd talked to twice before, and had assumed I'd talked to on the box just moments before.  She called back to someone inside, "Is that the Double Downs?"  I assume she received an affirmative response, as she was handed a plastic bag, then turned to me to apologize and advise that the woman running the drive thru radio didn't realize there had been a previous online order (mine) or that it was ready.  She then handed the bag over, and recited the normal parting drive thru pleasantries.  I thanked her and was on my way!  It only took about 5 minutes to drive to my brother's house, and less than another to make it up the steps and into the house.  Another couple of minutes had us settled, drinks poured, and ready for me to pass out the bounty which had been so long awaited.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I paused to take a couple of pictures, and tried a few fries (fantastic, compared to the potato wedges they normally served, and paired wonderfully with the Double Down, as I would soon discover), while my brother unwrapped his and tried to figure out how to hold it without making a total mess.  This was somewhat of a feat, as the warm mayo had been so generously applied that it oozed out of the rear and toward the back of both sides of each sandwich, stopping only because of the thin, wax-paperish wrapper that they were packed in inside their foil baggies.  I picked up my sandwich, folded up the corners of the wrapper in order to hold back any spilled sauce, and lifted it up.

We both ended up taking our first bite or two at pretty much the same time, and I can only assume that the look of satisfaction on my face matched the one I saw on my brother's.  The flavor was everything I remembered.  A few more bites in, and we began to talk about it as we ate.  I pointed out that whatever cheese was used paired perfectly with the chicken, as one enhanced the flavor of the other, and I wasn't sure which was doing it, but they paired perfectly.  The bacon was good, and it was there, but when the chicken and cheese came through together, it was forgotten about more or less completely.  Surprisingly, with skillful use of the wrapper, it wasn't very messy to eat at all, save for what bits of sauce kept getting stuck in the edge of my mustache and upper lip just below it, and the handful of napkins KFC provided proved more than worthy of the task.  We both savored the experience, and, unlike most fast food fare, we both took our time before finishing, and then moved on to our fries.

As it turned out, they weren't really necessary, as neither of us was really hungry after the Double Down, but the fries proved to be great, so we each enjoyed our small box while chatting some more about the experience.  My brother thought it could be improved by serving it with ripe tomato inside as well, and perhaps lettuce, then changed his thought to wrapping it in a large lettuce leaf, so as to both provide the flavor and experience that non-shredded lettuce lends to a sandwich as well as make for an easier grip.  I thought that it was fine as-is, but thought that tomatoes wouldn't a bad addition at all for folks who liked them, recalling our previous experience with our custom Bojangles Double Down clones.  By the time our fries were done (boxes somewhere in between the size of a small and medium at McDonald's), we were both completely full, and both noting a feeling of utter satisfaction and contentment about the meal.

It was the first thing that we'd eaten for the day, so it wasn't terribly surprising that it was filling, and sated our hunger.  However, I ended up spending the rest of the afternoon and evening over there, only heading home around 11:00 PM.  I got home, took care of a few things that needed doing, then sat down to try to get in my post before the clock slipped over from Sunday into Monday.  I've obviously failed, as looking at the clock on my PC, it now says it's nearly 12:30 AM.  However, I'm still completely sated, and not hungry in the least.  For folks worrying about eating a Double Down and then eating a ton of other calories for the day, I urge them to give it a shot, as they may very well just not need or want anything else the rest of the day, circumventing any worries about or dangers of seriously overeating for the day.  Another thing to note is that while I felt completely full, I didn't feel stuffed like one does at times during big meals like Thanksgiving, and subsequently lacked any sort of grogginess, drowsiness, or "food coma" that can occur after such experiences.

To those folks who have signed up for the Double Down Throwdown, I believe you will absolutely enjoy it, and am really looking forward to doing this again with all of you.  For those folks who are on the fence, I urge you to give it a shot, even if it's just once.  I think most who haven't tried it but generally enjoy KFC's fare will thoroughly enjoy it and not regret the experience, save perhaps the feeling of needing to go back and get another one.  😁

For the curious, it turned out that, at least in my neck of the woods (in between TN & VA), the Double Down was not, in fact, a $5 sandwich as the lady I spoke to in corporate had suggested, but retails at $8.99.  The order of "Secret Recipe" Fries ran $2.98 a serving.  So, depending on what taxes look like in your area, probably expect to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-11 for the sandwich, or $13-14 for the "meal" (although they are supposed to be offering the two together with a drink as a combo once it officially launches tomorrow/Monday 3/6).  Not really cheap, but if most folks have the same reaction that I do from the Double Down, it's not much for so satisfying a meal that ends up leaving you sated for the whole day.

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention for everybody who's interested in the Double Down.  Apparently KFC will be releasing both a regular, "original recipe" version that's true to the original (what I had in my above post), as well as a "spicy" version that they didn't have previously.  I do intend to try the spicy version as well at some point, but figured I'd let everybody know so that they were aware ahead of time.  In my experience, spicy chicken sandwiches can be hit and miss, with only a few actually having an actually spicy fillet (Bojangles, Wednesday), while everybody else just uses their normal fillet but slathers it with some sort of not-great spicy sauce (Burger King, Chik-fil-A, Popeyes, McDonald's, etc.).  If you're only going to give the Double Down one shot, I'd recommend going with the regular/original version, as it's fantastic as-is, to folks who love spice as well as those who hate it, whereas the spicy version is, at least for the moment, an unknown to our small circle.  Should I get a chance to try out the spicy version pre-Double Down Throwdown, I'll record my thoughts and share them as requested.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

I'm down, but I have no idea where the hell I'd get one of these

KFC?  I recall that you're abroad, but not sure where.  The Double Down is definitely slated for a US re-release (starting 3/6), and possibly a Canadian one (most like the same day, if it's happening in both countries), but I'm not so sure it's available elsewhere.  With that being said, regular KFC locations do keep all of the ingredients required to make one in the store at all times, as they're used to make various other offerings, so should you be able to get to a KFC and they don't offer it, you can always ask them to customize a similar sandwich (and hopefully they'll comply, unlike my local restaurant back before it was brought back).

I was gonna go today, since I get around by bike and this is the nicest weather we'll have all week by at least 10°. But some people decided to provide lunch for us at work today, so I already ate 3 tacos, instead of my usual simple bowl of vegetables. I'll probably go on my day off Wednesday or Thursday. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

The real question I have for you is which is the main course and which one is the desert?

Probably both at the same time?   Could get a Shamrock Shake for dessert.

As a hilarious side note, I have a Cologuard test here that I haven't taken yet.   That day might be the day, and my doctor might get a super panicked phone call when they analyze it!

• Haha 2