IGNORED

Double Down Throwdown 2023 -- Sign Ups Open!

darkchylde28

Events Helper · Posted

I was told by a professor in college, who studied and specialized in kidney function, that the amount of sodium doesn't matter as all the excess is processed through the kidneys.  Yes there are certain circumstances, but you urinate out all the excess sodium you take in!

10 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Well, if you have ONE, like maybe once a month, and eat an otherwise healthy diet, it's not going to kill you.

I mean, we can debate how it tastes, as that's a subjective thing, but it's not like you take one bite and suddenly your heart goes "TOO MUCH SODIUM, MUST EXPLODE!"

Well, the only people that would be in that situation either know already and are very careful with what they eat or are totally in the dark and basically spinning the cylinder on their revolver then putting the gun to their head and pulling the trigger every time they eat.  For the latter ones, they most likely know without having been officially diagnosed, but just don't care.

4 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I was told by a professor in college, who studied and specialized in kidney function, that the amount of sodium doesn't matter as all the excess is processed through the kidneys.  Yes there are certain circumstances, but you urinate out all the excess sodium you take in!

Well, it depends on how healthy your heart and cardiovascular system are.  If you're in danger of or in heart failure, then it absolutely matters, as every extra bit of sodium you take in will slightly increase your blood pressure, putting more strain on everything as it goes.  However, if you're healthy and generally conscious of what you're putting in your body, then yeah, absolutely, it all goes out, so you'll generally be ok as long as you don't overdo it all the time.

57 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I'm willing to bet that if you listed out for us everything that you eat or drink in a day, you, just as most, are also well over your daily allotment of sodium. 

For lunch, as I was writing that, I had falafel balls dipped in hummus and a few small pieces of naan bread. I admit I'm not the target audience here.

49 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Assuming you intake enough water to process it. Do you know how much water you'd need to drink to process 2 grams of sodium?

That's like saying you can drink as much alcohol as you want because your kidneys will just filter out the excess, it doesn't work like that.

Events Helper · Posted
57 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Well, the only people that would be in that situation either know already and are very careful with what they eat or are totally in the dark and basically spinning the cylinder on their revolver then putting the gun to their head and pulling the trigger every time they eat.  For the latter ones, they most likely know without having been officially diagnosed, but just don't care.

Well, it depends on how healthy your heart and cardiovascular system are.  If you're in danger of or in heart failure, then it absolutely matters, as every extra bit of sodium you take in will slightly increase your blood pressure, putting more strain on everything as it goes.  However, if you're healthy and generally conscious of what you're putting in your body, then yeah, absolutely, it all goes out, so you'll generally be ok as long as you don't overdo it all the time.

I did say there are situations.

11 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

For lunch, as I was writing that, I had falafel balls dipped in hummus and a few small pieces of naan bread. I admit I'm not the target audience here.

Assuming you intake enough water to process it. Do you know how much water you'd need to drink to process 2 grams of sodium?

That's like saying you can drink as much alcohol as you want because your kidneys will just filter out the excess, it doesn't work like that.

drink your daily need and you are good.  

We did a study where we held our urine and we all seen that our healthy kidneys processed out the excess sodium.  I did say there are circumstances that it would not be good to eat a shit ton of sodium, I'm not condoning it, but the reality of this all is......sodium is in everything you eat, you may get more sodium in your diet than you think.  😉 

13 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

You're right, it doesn't.  Your liver is what breaks down and filters alcohol😉

As for excess sodium, yeah, it can work like that.  You drink at least 12 glasses of water in a 24 hour period and try to take in extra potassium, as that will also help neutralize and flush out the sodium.  Average daily recommendation is actually ~2300mg, or 2.3g, with the minimum being ~1500mg or 1.5g.  If you overdo it one day but still take care of yourself and don't continuously overdo it, barring any serious health conditions, you'll be fine.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

You're right, it doesn't.  Your liver is what breaks down and filters alcohol😉

As for excess sodium, yeah, it can work like that.  You drink at least 12 glasses of water in a 24 hour period and try to take in extra potassium, as that will also help neutralize and flush out the sodium.  Average daily recommendation is actually ~2300mg, or 2.3g, with the minimum being ~1500mg or 1.5g.  If you overdo it one day but still take care of yourself and don't continuously overdo it, barring any serious health conditions, you'll be fine.

I'm a dummy, you are right. 

I want to be in on this and just might if I can find time to make my way over there.  I know it re-launches on the 6th, but how long is it running?  I didn't get one the first time around and I wish I had at least once.

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

My wife and I stayed at a really nice B&B about 6-7 years ago.  During our stay, there was a gentleman who was there who was the lead researcher for the cardiological research department for one of the most prestigious medical research universities in the US.

The breakfast table had many fascinating conversations but I found his discussions to be most interesting.  In general, as a tenured, long time cardiological research doctor his conclusions on eating (and smoking) has become simply this--all things in moderation. 

Seriously, after decades of research on various dietary studies and the affects on the heart, his adamant belief was that the body was remarkably resilient.  Regarding the stuff we consider consumable, in moderation nothing is excessively damaging.  You can either occasionally consume it or even binge in a rare session, just don't make it a habit.  Fat, cigarettes, salt... just don't be obsessive all the time and by and large, our bodies can and do take care of what we throw at it and you can enjoy whatever you want.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm a dummy, you are right. 

Nah, you're not, just not as persnickety with wording as some of the rest of us.  Overall you're right, it's not good for you, but then again, neither is candy.  But a little bit once in a while is just fine, and tastes great as well.

1 hour ago, RH said:

I want to be in on this and just might if I can find time to make my way over there.  I know it re-launches on the 6th, but how long is it running?  I didn't get one the first time around and I wish I had at least once.

It's supposed to last 4 weeks, a month, so unless you're just outside civilization for that long, you should be able to snag at least one.

40 minutes ago, Gloves said:

We should all "sign up" in this thread like "I'm gonna go get one on DayX" and we all agree to go on the same day and then post photos of our Double Downs and eat 'em together like the buds we are.

You joke, but I think that's actually a pretty cool idea.  Maybe not necessarily synchronizing eating them, but posting photos of our individual "catch," maybe us eating them, and posting thoughts on them afterward would be great.

25 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I love me some KFC, but that does not look appetizing. That’s gonna be a no for me dawg

It did look weird to me too the first time, but afterward I didn't care.  If you've ever eaten a chicken club, it's literally the same thing, just minus the bun and with another patty.  Think of it as almost a Big Mac with the top & bottom buns left off.  Plenty of people ate burgers like that during the Atkins craze, and nobody batted an eye.  Definitely worth one try, even if it looks bizarre.

Edited by darkchylde28

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

You joke, but I think that's actually a pretty cool idea.  Maybe not necessarily synchronizing eating them, but posting photos of our individual "catch," maybe us eating them, and posting thoughts on them afterward would be great.

I wasn't joking. 😞

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I wasn't joking. 😞

All the better, then!  It's Game Night this weekend, why don't we try to pin down anyone who would want to participate, and then do all synchronized tastings that evening?  If we make this a thing, I guess the real question becomes do I start recording "sign ups" at the bottom of my original post here, or do we create a separate thread to sign up, and then share our Double Down conquests in?

Edit:  Got all excited about us having an already-in-place event to get together for synchronized enjoyment, then realized the sandwich won't be fully available until Monday.  😔  Still, if anyone/everyone wants to do synchronized tasting, we can certainly try to work with everybody's schedules to set something up.

Edited by darkchylde28

37 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I wasn't joking. 😞

33 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

If we make this a thing, I guess the real question becomes do I start recording "sign ups" at the bottom of my original post here, or do we create a separate thread to sign up, and then share our Double Down conquests in?

🤷‍♀️sure, I'm down for the Double Down Throwdown. 

Put it in the OP with a title edit, imo

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
36 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

All the better, then!  It's Game Night this weekend, why don't we try to pin down anyone who would want to participate, and then do all synchronized tastings that evening?  If we make this a thing, I guess the real question becomes do I start recording "sign ups" at the bottom of my original post here, or do we create a separate thread to sign up, and then share our Double Down conquests in?

Edit:  Got all excited about us having an already-in-place event to get together for synchronized enjoyment, then realized the sandwich won't be fully available until Monday.  😔  Still, if anyone/everyone wants to do synchronized tasting, we can certainly try to work with everybody's schedules to set something up.

I think as long as we all eat it and give our thoughts on the same day it makes for a fun and flexible "event" in and of itself! 

#notSponsoredByKFC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Well, if you have ONE, like maybe once a month, and eat an otherwise healthy diet, it's not going to kill you.

I mean, we can debate how it tastes, as that's a subjective thing, but it's not like you take one bite and suddenly your heart goes "TOO MUCH SODIUM, MUST EXPLODE!"

I would like to point out that this is essentially what happened to my father, after a dinner at Captain D’s 🤢.   

1 hour ago, Mega Tank said:

Absolutely would not have this KFC "sandwich" again.

McDonald's needs to stop playing around and bring back the snack wrap. It's not very healthy, but it's better than the other stuff they sell.

I want McD to bring back one thing and one thing only--their pizza!