IGNORED

What is the best movie from the year you were born?

OptOut

4 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I went through 1989 releases and it did not strike me as a great year for movies.

My person favorites are probably Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan, Star Trek V, Batman, and UHF.

1989 looks like a great year to me. You also have:

Dead Poet’s society

Parenthood

Uncle buck

When Harry met sally

Say anything 

kiki’s delivery service

Do the right thing

Harlem nights

lethal weapon 2

the wizard

All solid titles in my book.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Who's representing 1982?

I am.

Most people my age will probably pick E.T., but I have to go with Wrath of Khan.  I always enjoyed E.T., but it was never my favorite movie, and I don't think I've seen it more than twice.  I've re-watched Wrath of Khan more times than I could count.  

Special mention to the following movies that I also like a lot from my birth year:

• Rocky III
  • Porky's
  • Fast Times at Ridgemont High
  • Airplane II: The Sequel
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

This thread makes me wonder where I would fall if we listed all members in order of age.  I'm curious if I'm one of the older or younger ones.  

Not recent data, and I can see the upper range isn't represented at all. But maybe the average is close, in which case you fall slightly older.

On 7/12/2022 at 4:31 AM, Brickman said:

1989 looks like a great year to me. You also have:

Dead Poet’s society

Parenthood

Uncle buck

When Harry met sally

Say anything 

kiki’s delivery service

Do the right thing

Harlem nights

lethal weapon 2

the wizard

All solid titles in my book.

AGREED!!! Tyler is wrong... As usual... 😛

89 kicks fucking ass for movies. Batman alone destroys most years tbh. The Abyss is a FINE ass movie right there Cameron on top form. An early hit for Tom Hanks with The 'Burbs as well, probably one of the better 80's comedies that doesn't get quite as much love as it should these days.

Then you have like the really important contributions to all time classic series, like BTTF2, the Last Crusade, Ghostbusters 2, and among the BEST Bond movies ever, License to Kill...

Christ, even the Little fucking Mermaid... you really gonna shit on Ariel obsessing over her epic collection of useless human junk, singing a song about it and all that?

@DefaultGen you gotta rep WAY harder for 89, my man, I mean that was actually legit the last year of history, after all. Everything since has been like endgame shit tbh! 😅

3 hours ago, OptOut said:

AGREED!!! Tyler is wrong... As usual... 😛

89 kicks fucking ass for movies. Batman alone destroys most years tbh. The Abyss is a FINE ass movie right there Cameron on top form. An early hit for Tom Hanks with The 'Burbs as well, probably one of the better 80's comedies that doesn't get quite as much love as it should these days.

Then you have like the really important contributions to all time classic series, like BTTF2, the Last Crusade, Ghostbusters 2, and among the BEST Bond movies ever, License to Kill...

Christ, even the Little fucking Mermaid... you really gonna shit on Ariel obsessing over her epic collection of useless human junk, singing a song about it and all that?

@DefaultGen you gotta rep WAY harder for 89, my man, I mean that was actually legit the last year of history, after all. Everything since has been like endgame shit tbh! 😅

How many sequels did you guys just list that are inferior to the originals! If 1989 isn’t a bad year, what do you think is? Whatever year you pick I’ll cherrypick the few recognizable movies out of it and call it a great year. So many years have all time bangers from all genres, not “Ghostbusters II, the okay sequel to the beloved Ghostbusters!”

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Eyeroll 1

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

How many sequels did you guys just list that are inferior to the originals! If 1989 isn’t a bad year, what do you think is? Whatever year you pick I’ll cherrypick the few recognizable movies out of it and call it a great year.

1997 was pretty miserable overall. 

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

1997 was pretty miserable overall. 

Good Will Hunting, Jackie Brown, LA Confidential, Titanic, Starship Troopers, Scream 2, Cube, The Game, Fifth Element, Gattaca, Face Off, Austin Powers, Event Horizon, Con Air, Liar Liar, Princess Mononoke, Perfect Blue, Men in Black, Funny Games. It’s probably the best year of all time, not to mention Good Burger!

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Good Will Hunting, Jackie Brown, LA Confidential, Titanic, Starship Troopers, Scream 2, Cube, The Game, Fifth Element, Gattaca, Face Off, Austin Powers, Event Horizon, Con Air, Liar Liar, Princess Mononoke, Perfect Blue, Men in Black, Funny Games. It’s probably the best year of all time, not to mention Good Burger!

Not to mention a certain greatest movie of all time...

Not that Gloves would know since he RENEGED ON HIS END OF A MOVIE WATCHING DEAL

• Haha 2
  • Angry 2

36 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

How many sequels did you guys just list that are inferior to the originals! If 1989 isn’t a bad year, what do you think is? Whatever year you pick I’ll cherrypick the few recognizable movies out of it and call it a great year. So many years have all time bangers from all genres, not “Ghostbusters II, the okay sequel to the beloved Ghostbusters!”

I only listed one and those sequels don’t suck anyway. Ghostbusters 2 and BTTF 2 are fantastic movies.

The movies I listed are great movies, if you haven’t seen dead poets society I recommend checking it out. Some of Robin Williams and Ethan Hawkes best work. 

Also the wizard! Who doesn’t love a movie advertising SMB3 and the NES!? I still love watching that movie every few years.

• Like 1

1989 is mine too.

The year looks decent enough. I've seen Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Batman, Last Crusade, Little Mermaid (albeit probably 20+ years ago by now), Lethal Weapon II, and Kiki's Delivery Service. Some cultural touchstones and good movies, maybe even great ones, but nothing I'd probably call an all-timer? Maybe Last Crusade, so like, I guess that's my pick?

The first Patlabor Movie was pretty good but there's a better movie also directed by Oshii even just within that franchise. I remember thinking Ghostbusters II was, like, fun enough, but it'd be pushing it to say it counts for much here. I certainly saw Honey I Shrunk the Kids but it was so long ago I remember basically nothing and there are of course several others that weren't that good or that I don't have strong enough memories of to judge.

Admittedly I've never seen Back to the Future II. First one yeah, several times, never got around to the sequel. And I'm not much of a film buff so your deeper cuts or more mature or artsier fare generally aren't gonna be stuff I'd likely have seen. But what I have seen looks fine but doesn't necessarily scream that the year's an all-timer.

also I gotta know what movie did Gloves welch on seeing?

Edited by MagusSmurf
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, MagusSmurf said:

Admittedly I've never seen Back to the Future II. First one yeah, several times, never got around to the sequel.

You owe it to yourself to watch BttF2.  I'd be really interested in a fresh take since you've seen the first one.  I definitely view it through a nostalgia lens and 2 is probably my favorite of the trilogy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

SOMEONE has clearly never seen The 'Burbs... For shame! 😂

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Among the best Corey movies too. 

yes-burbs.gif

I’ve been meaning to watch it for years but never have gotten around to it so didn’t list it. I think I need to get onto it. I love how we’re all trying to defend a year we weren’t even born in 🤣

If someone from ‘81 came in here and said “guys I’m not a horror fan so I think ‘81 is pretty meh” I’d say yeah ok you have a few hits but a lot after that lies in the horror genre so fair enough. But ‘89? Nah can’t let that year get canned. 

• Agree 1