IGNORED

What is the best movie from the year you were born?

OptOut

Moderator · Posted
On 7/14/2022 at 1:20 AM, RpgCollector said:

1974 checking in with The Sting! Love that movie.

The Sting is a classic, but it’s 1973. 1974 is one of the greatest movie years in history though with Godfather 2, Chinatown, The Conversation, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein amongst others. 

Events Helper · Posted
17 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

1996 doesn’t have many standout movies to choose from...

I’d personally give the nod to Disney’s Hunchback of Notre Dame for the animation alone, but VGS strikes me as more of a Space Jam crowd.

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.15e2282f293513821be63e93ed7d4ff6.jpeg

While i know you are an animation guy ❤️  You forgot the following:

Independence day
Happy Gilmore
Twister
Jack<---wholesome movie
The Rock
Down Periscope
The Cable Guy
The Ghost and the Darkness
Kingpin
Dragonheart
From Dusk til Dawn
Dunston Checks In

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2022 at 6:55 PM, Link said:

Alien is pretty great, but may I also submit for consideration of 1979... The Warriors

On 7/10/2022 at 12:25 PM, Tabonga said:

Streets of Fire is pretty impressive.

On 7/10/2022 at 2:19 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Fun fact: Walter Hill just happened to produce Alien and work on Aliens

Had to revive the thread to say that Walter Hill is making another Western and it has a strong cast. As I said before, I think most of Hill's films are pretty bad, but he has experience with the genre and a few certified hits under his belt. Despite most of his recent output being terrible, I'm still cautiously optimistic.

image.thumb.png.84d6571c795668ff1cc329d7055db19b.png

Also, if you like Westerns, I highly recommend the limited series Godless starring Jeff Daniels on Netlix. It's superb and very under the radar. Probably one of the best series of the streaming era.

On 7/16/2022 at 10:23 PM, DefaultGen said:

Good Will Hunting, Jackie Brown, LA Confidential, Titanic, Starship Troopers, Scream 2, Cube, The Game, Fifth Element, Gattaca, Face Off, Austin Powers, Event Horizon, Con Air, Liar Liar, Princess Mononoke, Perfect Blue, Men in Black, Funny Games. It’s probably the best year of all time, not to mention Good Burger!

Damn, what an incredible year. Starship Troopers alone puts it above most other movie years out there.

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2022 at 11:38 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Shout out to Fargo, Trainspotting, Swingers, Bottle Rocket, Beavis & Butthead, Scream, Bound, Hard Eight (Sydney), Waiting for Guffman, and other stuff

FreeWellinformedAldabratortoise-size_restricted.gif

I don't think I'd be the man I am today without Trainspotting! I think I've seen it over 40 times on VHS when I was a tween. It's basically the perfect movie ever made for teaching you how NOT to live your life, and for that I am eternally grateful! 😇

On 7/21/2022 at 11:12 PM, Jeevan said:

While i know you are an animation guy ❤️  You forgot the following:

Independence day
Happy Gilmore
Twister
Jack<---wholesome movie
The Rock
Down Periscope
The Cable Guy
The Ghost and the Darkness
Kingpin
Dragonheart
From Dusk til Dawn
Dunston Checks In

The cable guy, YES! Actually disturbing if you rate it alongside the other 90's Jim Carrey movies, because it cuts deep on some genuine issues... Not to mention a sic soundtrack!

Plus, did I mention that Independence Day is like my favourite movie of all time? I don't care what people say, that's like the pinnacle of cinematic entertainment as far as I'm concerned! 😋

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
38 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I don't think I'd be the man I am today without Trainspotting! I think I've seen it over 40 times on VHS when I was a tween. It's basically the perfect movie ever made for teaching you how NOT to live your life, and for that I am eternally grateful! 😇

I like to think Trainspotting accurately captured your Limey Scot upbringing.

• Wow! 1

Social Team · Posted

Lots of classic movies but I was surprised not to find a cult classic comedy from the 80's.  I'm not saying National Lampoon's Vacation is cult classic, it's straight up a classic.  John Candy had a dud movie in 1983.  So that leaves me with one clear winner....

Spoiler

• Like 1