IGNORED

What is the best movie from the year you were born?

OptOut

Here's a fun topic! Pick your favourite movie and/or movies from the year you were born!

I'll go first, I was born in 1986, and DEFINITELY the best movie released that year IMO was Aliens!

I think most people will agree that it's a toss up between this and the first Alien film as to the best in the franchise, and actually I go back and forth on that myself, but this movie really is absolutely awesome, especially the Director's cut!

Other than that there are a few other good movies from 86 I like. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is an absolute classic, love that one.

Platoon is hardcore, great war movie, probably my favourite Vietnam movie all together.

The Fly with Jeff Goldblum also came out in 86, that was decent, and then there's Flight of the Navigator, which isn't exactly the greatest movie ever, but it was always a fun watch as a kid.

Probably the biggest movie this year I HAVEN'T seen is Top Gun, so might have to give that a watch, see what I make of it.

Okay, so go for it, what's your favourite movie from the year you were born? 🙂

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Alien, baby!  '79 checking in.

That's awesome lol, nice symmetry there! 😄

Which is your favourite, Alien or Aliens? I THINK the first one is the best, as more of a straight up horror thing, but Aliens just cranks up the action to 11, really builds so well on the first, it's really hard to pick between them honestly!

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to go with Raiders too for 1981, which was the best year to be born in--right at the start of The Reagan Years.

Highlights for me that I see from 81 are:

• Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Clash of the Titans (Legit, I thought this was an older film!)
  • The Fox and the Hound
  • Cannonball Run

Honestly, Raiders seems to be the only epic film from that year for me.  Seems like it was boring otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Events Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Which is your favourite, Alien or Aliens? I THINK the first one is the best, as more of a straight up horror thing, but Aliens just cranks up the action to 11, really builds so well on the first, it's really hard to pick between them honestly!

I can't really choose.  Kinda like the first two Die Hards.  They're both perfect.  

Gun to my head, I'd say Alien.  I still remember my first watch.  Not really knowing what to expect, the atmosphere and tension were exquisite. 

With Aliens, you already have an idea of what to expect going into it.  Not that Aliens doesn't exceed in every way, but the experience is ever so slightly contaminated by preconception.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, RH said:

We do need someone to pop in here from 80 and give us all ESB on our bingo card, cause come on, we all agree that ESB is the BEST Star Wars film.

I think Estil was born that year.

I got the original sewed up. 🙂

starwars.jpg

Annie Hall and Close Encounters of the Third Kind (which I'm not that big a fan) were the same year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JamesRobot said:

I can't really choose.  Kinda like the first two Die Hards.  They're both perfect.  

Gun to my head, I'd say Alien.  I still remember my first watch.  Not really knowing what to expect, the atmosphere and tension were exquisite. 

With Aliens, you already have an idea of what to expect going into it.  Not that Aliens doesn't exceed in every way, but the experience is ever so slightly contaminated by preconception.

I kind of feel the same way. Alien is the better horror movie.

Aliens is an action movie with monsters. Sure, there's some tense moments, and the Queen is impressive, but it has you going "Fuck yeah!" most of the time, whereas the first you were curled up in a ball peeing yourself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I kind of feel the same way. Alien is the better horror movie.

Aliens is an action movie with monsters. Sure, there's some tense moments, and the Queen is impressive, but it has you going "Fuck yeah!" most of the time, whereas the first you were curled up in a ball peeing yourself.

I think Terminator is a better comparison than Die Hard in that regard.  Terminator is the better horror movie and T2 is a straight action popcorn flick.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Comedy -- Monty Python: the meaning of life
Horror -- Cujo
Fantasy -- Return of the Jedi
Action -- War Games/Scarface/Octopussy
Drama -- The Outsiders

I like all these movies, so...... 🤷‍♂️

Scarface would be my pick of those, absolutely, excellent movie! Lots of good flics from the year of Jeeve! 🤩

36 minutes ago, RH said:

We do need someone to pop in here from 80 and give us all ESB on our bingo card, cause come on, we all agree that ESB is the BEST Star Wars film.

Hmm, not so sure of that dude, maybe it used to be, but it's kinda hard to watch some of those scenes with Han getting all rapey these days... 😕

I have sort of settled on the original being the best Star Wars film, certainly it is the most complete story in and of itself, even discounting any of the less comfortable aspects of ESB. I'd still put Empire in my top three tho, for sure.

Gotta go with "Erotic Nights Of The Living Dead."  

Or "Empire Strikes Back."

I simply cannot decide.

If only there were some way to have Luke take on these creatures with a purple lightsaber...

Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 10.47.10 AM.png

Edited by PII
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Annie Hall and Close Encounters of the Third Kind (which I'm not that big a fan) were the same year.

I wish more young people would watch Annie Hall. It holds up incredibly well.

None of my all-time favorites came out in 84, but there were a few bangers. Ignoring the directions of OP to choose just one, my top three are:

1. Ghostbusters
  2. Terminator
  3. Beverly Hills Cop

Check behind the spoiler tag for some other noteworthy movies from the year of my birth. On a side note, the movies of 1984 feel super 80s in the best way possible. The cheese, the music, the styles, the consumerism... they just ooze 80s charm.

Spoiler
  • Gremlins
  • Last Starfighter
  • Neverending Story
  • Temple of Doom
  • Karate Kid
  • Nightmare on Elm Street
  • This is Spinal Tap

Great topic, @OptOut. Super fun to scroll through everyone's posts and wax nostalgic.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, PII said:

Gotta go with "Erotic Nights Of The Living Dead."  

Or "Empire Strikes Back."

I simply cannot decide.

I just checked, don't forget Blues Brothers, and Airplane, and Caddy Shack! Seems to have been a bumper crop of comedies that year too! 😄

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DoctorEncore said:

I wish more young people would watch Annie Hall. It holds up incredibly well.

None of my all-time favorites came out in 84, but there were a few bangers. Ignoring the directions of OP to choose just one, my top three are:

1. Ghostbusters
  2. Terminator
  3. Beverly Hills Cop

Check behind the spoiler tag for some other noteworthy movies from the year of my birth

Hide contents
  • Gremlins
  • Last Starfighter
  • Neverending Story
  • Temple of Doom
  • Karate Kid
  • Nightmare on Elm Street
  • This is Spinal Tap.

Great topic, @OptOut. Super fun to scroll through everyone's posts and wax nostalgic.

Whoa... I think we got a potential winner for the best year of movies here dude, 84!

Gremlins, Ghostbusters and Terminator alone put it up there, but that's just a butt-ton of all time classics in that list...

Amadeus is an amazing film as well, that was 84, I would recommend that movie to anyone if you haven't seen it!

• Like 1