IGNORED

You can own 1 arcade cabinet..

Nintegageo

I actually own just one arcade cabinet, which is original Mario Bros.  It's not flashy, but it has infinite replayability.  Even now, after learning everything there is to know about the game, it can still surprise me.

It's also hard to marathon, since it only gives you one bonus life early in the game (at least on the US version).  Most of the early classics are either really short or else easy to marathon once mastered, which makes Mario Bros stand apart.

• Like 1

I kind of feel like multi-cades are a bit cheating BUT if I had to pick one, it'd definitely be the Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga combo, which also has Dig Dug in it if you enter a certain code at the game select screen.  Not bad for an official 3-in-1 that's not like the MVS or Nintendo multi-game cabs.

If it legit has to be one game, if anyone has somehow found a way to mod Guitar Hero to be less laggy and sucky, I'd probably want a Guitar Hero cab.  However, something about that port is terrible and I only gave it a couple of tries before being super disappointed with it.  So long as it can be patched to be fun, I think I'd want that.

And if neither of the above are possible, it'd be a tough call but I'd spend a lot of time playing different shmups to try to find one I appreciate.  Probably a Rayden game but I can't say that for sure.  There are too many I've not played that might get my attention better than those.

If I could have any particular one I wanted, I think I would want the Primal Rage set-up that my local arcade had back in the mid-90's. It was one of those that had the oversized screen that was detached from the control deck (can't find the Google-Fu to locate a picture of the kind of thing I'm talking about). For the time, it was mind-blowing to be able to play on a screen that large, especially in a public arcade. It was probably about the equivalent screen size to a 50" TV today.

If I could adapt that set up to any game I wanted, I might go with Killer Instinct or Killer Instinct 2 over Rage...but I'd still be happy either way and having it actually be Primal Rage, complete with light-up marquee and all, would be a serious shot to the nostalgias.

If not that, I'd love to own a sit-down Space Harrier cab with full hydraulics.

spacer.png

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

Tough choice, if I had to chose without thinking it'd probably be Galaga as it's just so classic/replayable/nostalgic.  Very close nostalgic fun pick would also be Time Crisis. 

With that said, as a collector/enthusiast and tinkerer, SEGA Missile (1969) electro-mechanical or SEGA Jet Rocket (1970) would be pretty cool as it's not really something you can emulate.

• Like 1

I'd get whatever the latest Pump it Up mix is. I've never played any arcade games I owned enough to justify the space they consume, so I replaced them all with much-more-replayable pinball machines. A dance cabinet I'd play for the exercise though.

Daytona USA is one I've owned that I played a bunch. Maybe an OutRun or OutRun 2 would be cool to own, but still probably wouldn't justify the space.

NtGAbZE.png

• Agree 1

Until recently I would have said the original Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-Move, but after years and years and YEARS of that version not being available on anything, it FINALLY got ported to the Switch. The only other arcade game I played a lot of in the 90s was Snow Brothers, so I guess that's the one I'd pick. I'd rather it just get ported to Switch than ever own an arcade cabinet though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Wth is wrong with you people?….

696698D8-919E-4AD7-BC97-6C5A579B28DF.jpeg

That's mostly fun with multiple people; having to beg guys to play with you (after the novelty wears off) would get annoying pretty fast... 😛

There's a reason the golden era of one player "endless" arcade games have remained so popular over the years: yeah, TMNT and Simpsons and Golden Axe are cool, but how many times can you run through the same game with your buddies before you've had enough???

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That's mostly fun with multiple people; having to beg guys to play with you (after the novelty wears off) would get annoying pretty fast... 😛

There's a reason the golden era of one player "endless" arcade games have remained so popular over the years: yeah, TMNT and Simpsons and Golden Axe are cool, but how many times can you run through the same game with your buddies before you've had enough???

I got friends in low places.

galaga/Mrs pac man gang 💪🏻

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lynda Monica said:

Until recently I would have said the original Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-Move, but after years and years and YEARS of that version not being available on anything, it FINALLY got ported to the Switch. The only other arcade game I played a lot of in the 90s was Snow Brothers, so I guess that's the one I'd pick. I'd rather it just get ported to Switch than ever own an arcade cabinet though.

Not sure if it has an arcade mode, but there is a limited run style of release of Snow Bros for the Switch that's either coming out or recently out, I didn't pay a lot of attention other than seeing it was a thing.

And Bust-A-Move I do own on that Neo Geo I have, and BAM Agaain (bust a move 2) which is equally if not more amazing.

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Simpsons? Forever! Golden Axe and TMNT would be killer as well.

31 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

If I had to pick one original, single-game arcade machine, I'd probably go with Dig Dug.

(I used to have a Namco Legacy Edition Arcade 1-Up machine that I loved, but I sold it when I moved just a few months ago...)

-CasualCart

Dig Dug is "hidden" in the Galaga / Ms. Pac-Man official dual-cade Namco put out.  Unless part of the reason is the aesthetic, might as well "cheat" with me on your choice and get three great games in one!

Fun fact, Tiny Arcade made the combo unit a couple of years ago and, sure enough, you can play Dig Dug on it as well.

Graphics Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, RH said:

Dig Dug is "hidden" in the Galaga / Ms. Pac-Man official dual-cade Namco put out.  Unless part of the reason is the aesthetic, might as well "cheat" with me on your choice and get three great games in one!

Fun fact, Tiny Arcade made the combo unit a couple of years ago and, sure enough, you can play Dig Dug on it as well.

Oh wow - that's awesome! Seems like the Galaga / Ms. Pac-Man cab is a great choice for quite a few of us.

-CasualCart