IGNORED

You can own 1 arcade cabinet..

Nintegageo

1 minute ago, Link said:

👀 Is that in the dipswitches, or can I get to it on a public machine? 

What I've heard is it's a button combo.  I don't think it's dipswitches.  Let me see if I can find an article.  I think it's something like pressing the arrow keys in a specific combo at the game select screen and then hitting start.

• Like 1

Ok, this is weird.  The Tiny Arcade cab does, in fact, have Dig Dug.  I just verified it.  I could have sworn that I read when it first came out people were curious if it had Dig Dug "like the other cabinets", and then it did.

Well, according to what I'm finding (and the details are obscure on this one) the arcade machine actually has Pac-Man on it as the third option rather than Dig-Dug.

This is really weird to me because there are slight variations to the ROM on my machine (the game selector has a border, for instance) so this is definitely a different/updated ROM.  Anyway, I found a video of a guy showing how to enter the code for Pac-Man.  He's a tad annoying to me, so I queued up right before he enters it.  It's not Dig Dug, but heh, a hidden game on an arcade cab is still a hidden game!

Probably since everyone has their favorites.  I said that one, because durability of the platform and long term interest because of what it had and the design worked for an easy vote (and choice of ownership as my only cabinet.)  Had it never existed I probably would have thrown out Super Dodgeball, Galaga, or Ms Pac-Man (or as a cheat the ms pac+galaga combo cabinet.) 😄

8 hours ago, Koopa64 said:

I’m surprised the most common answer isn’t the Neo Geo MVS. Gotta love interchangeable cartridges and a huge library. Maybe it’s all the re-releases and game compilations? 

You don't need an MVS cabinet for that though. Even with the MVS specific pinout for stereo sound, you can easily run it in a standard JAMMA cab, but of course there are plenty of MVS boards that are just plun-n-play with the JAMMA standard.

But your basic point still stands though - if you can only have one arcade cabinet, you'd be crazy to pick a dedicated cab that can only realistically be used to run one game. 🙂 

• Agree 1

Very true, despite the swapped setup for audio leaving you with mono if I remember right, you can drop in many other jamma style stuff even into a NeoGeo cabinet just fine and largely you'll be set with the 4 button array to run much of what that format was capable of outside of your 6button fighter games pretty much.

I couldn't quite remember the details, never was interested in doing it, but I found it on hardmvs.

Q: Will the motherboards work in a JAMMA cabinet?
A: They will all work, but are not 100% JAMMA compliant

Q: What does that mean?
A: The 1 slot boards are the closest to JAMMA, but have the addition of a 4th button. Some of the 1 slot boards have an external connector to run Stereo sound instead of the mono JAMMA sound.

Q: What about the other boards?
A: The 2, 4, and 6 slot boards are wired to what I would call the MVS standard. It is almost the same as JAMMA, but have the additional 4th button, a select button, and Stereo sound out of the harness instead of an external connector. The test switch is also in a different location than the JAMMA test switch.

Q: Can I plug other JAMMA PCBs into my dedicated MVS cab?
A: Maybe. The MVS wiring does not have a -5V line, so if your PCB requires -5V it won't work

Q: Can I add a -5V line to my MVS harness without harming my MVS PCB?
A: Yes, see the Project section.

Edited by Tanooki

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to spend some time playing them to make a final choice, but it would definitely come down to The Simpsons 1991 or X-Men 1992 (6 player cabinet). So many great memories doing everything I could to avoid actually skating at the skate rink.

Simpsons.thumb.jpg.3c68030a18c62b8323ce9f58447b2bd4.jpg

891c5e28f0f3f46171ddb985ea0261f3.thumb.jpg.a88b93871aac997dd70c72fac3790639.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

48 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

That would be me in grade school, playing Double Dragon and Yie Ar Kung Fu instead of repeatedly falling on the skating rink.

Yie Ar Kung Fu is a great game. I played it a ton as a kid, but I couldn't find anyone that had even heard of it until it was on that Konami arcade collection for the Game Boy Advance. Obviously I think Double Dragon is awesome and played it a lot in the arcade. I always preferred the Genesis version to the NES since it's basically a straight port of the arcade game.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug