IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TMNT 2!

BeaIank

24 minutes ago, PII said:

@the_wizard_666 did you frighten the skateboard girl in level 2?

Actually, I did.  Does that deduct points?  That would adjust the theoretical max on the Bebop fight to 136 then assuming you and the good Doctor didn't do that and used all three manhole covers to kill those enemies.

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Actually, I did.  Does that deduct points?  That would adjust the theoretical max on the Bebop fight to 136 then assuming you and the good Doctor didn't do that and used all three manhole covers to kill those enemies.

It adds a point, I think.  I did not use any manhole covers for my killing.

9 hours ago, PII said:

It adds a point, I think.  I did not use any manhole covers for my killing.

In fact, it does.  So the maximum number of points when appearing at Bebop is 134, as I just confirmed.  Looks like both you and @Dr. Morbis killed every soldier manually rather than with the manhole, where I killed all 3, but I happened to make up one point by attacking the woman on the skateboard.  Not sure why they made attacking a civilian worth a point but not killing the Foot Soldiers with their own weapons though...

How the fuck is everyone so good at this? I can't even get to the first boss on one life. It's hard to avoid all the enemy attacks so my life bar keeps decreasing and there are NO health refills on the first stage. It's fucking ridiculous. I must be doing something wrong because this is an easy game for everyone else.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

How the fuck is everyone so good at this? I can't even get to the first boss on one life. It's hard to avoid all the enemy attacks so my life bar keeps decreasing and there are NO health refills on the first stage. It's fucking ridiculous. I must be doing something wrong because this is an easy game for everyone else.

Stick and move.  Whether you jump kick in and out, or you just walk up and down, the Foot Soldiers are briefly invincible after taking a hit, allowing them to hit you before you can get the second shot in.  So hit, move away, and hit again.  If you can get them to bunch up together, all the better, but just get away before they can hit you, then move in for the kill.  The Roadkill Rodneys can be tricky, but they're a LOT easier overall, as long as you don't let them get away from you.  If you can trap them on the edge of the screen, and get them bunched up, they're cake, as their invincibility window is shorter than their attack animation.  They do take a bunch more hits though.  Just play it safe and you'll get there.  The bosses are where the real effort comes into play.  I've only managed to beat Rocksteady once without dying, and that was more luck than skill imo, so I'm probably done with the game.  Just don't rush and you should at least be able to get to him reasonably consistently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Stick and move.  Whether you jump kick in and out, or you just walk up and down, the Foot Soldiers are briefly invincible after taking a hit, allowing them to hit you before you can get the second shot in.  So hit, move away, and hit again.  If you can get them to bunch up together, all the better, but just get away before they can hit you, then move in for the kill.  The Roadkill Rodneys can be tricky, but they're a LOT easier overall, as long as you don't let them get away from you.  If you can trap them on the edge of the screen, and get them bunched up, they're cake, as their invincibility window is shorter than their attack animation.  They do take a bunch more hits though.  Just play it safe and you'll get there.  The bosses are where the real effort comes into play.  I've only managed to beat Rocksteady once without dying, and that was more luck than skill imo, so I'm probably done with the game.  Just don't rush and you should at least be able to get to him reasonably consistently.

Thanks. I've been trying hit and move strats but still taking way too much damage. I probably just need more practice.

3 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Not sure why they made attacking a civilian worth a point but not killing the Foot Soldiers with their own weapons though...

I'm sure this is a matter of programming. The skater is in the same entity class as an enemy, while hitting a soldier with an environmental object doesn't count because you don't make direct contact.

3 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

In fact, it does.  So the maximum number of points when appearing at Bebop is 134, as I just confirmed.  Looks like both you and @Dr. Morbis killed every soldier manually rather than with the manhole, where I killed all 3, but I happened to make up one point by attacking the woman on the skateboard.  Not sure why they made attacking a civilian worth a point but not killing the Foot Soldiers with their own weapons though...

Yeah, that is odd.  I don't recall the Turtles being bullies in favor of hazing the locals...

23 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Wtf dude turtles brah cowabonga 

cmon man get with it

I'm struggling to even get participation this week.

How are you not having your entire health bar chipped away before you get to the boss? I'm trying to hit and move but the enemies are fast and they keep grabbing me from behind and other cheap shit. And there's a huge amount of enemies and NO health refills.

How is this easier than Bayou Billy? Yeah the enemies in Bayou Billy require more hits but at least there's far fewer of them and they drop health refills. This is bullshit.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

How are you not having your entire health bar chipped away before you get to the boss? I'm trying to hit and move but the enemies are fast and they keep grabbing me from behind and other cheap shit. And there's a huge amount of enemies and NO health refills.

How is this easier than Bayou Billy? Yeah the enemies in Bayou Billy require more hits but at least there's far fewer of them and they drop health refills. This is bullshit.

Are you dodging left and right or up and down?  I find it's easier to get out of range if you move up and down rather than side to side.  And don't forget about jumping away when you start getting surrounded.  Basic strategies I know, but they're also the easily overlooked ones.

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Are you dodging left and right or up and down?  I find it's easier to get out of range if you move up and down rather than side to side.  And don't forget about jumping away when you start getting surrounded.  Basic strategies I know, but they're also the easily overlooked ones.

I'm dodging up and down as well as jump kicking away. I still keep taking  damage here and there that adds up.

I've no deathed the first two Double Dragons. I've beat Double Dragon 3. I can beat Battletoads. I can't even reach the first boss in TMNT2 without dying, and this is supposed to be the easy mainstream beat em up. Maybe it seems easy to others because they've played it a ton since they were kids. I did play it, but not enough, I guess.

42 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Jumping in the air and then kicking those dastardly foot soldiers in the face is a super safe way of dispatching pretty much every enemy in Stage 1 - it takes a lot longer, but if you're at wit's end, you may as well give it a shot...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Yes, although I can't pull it off every time.

Then only one more truly important lesson remains...

...aside from ordering another pizza, that is...

...GIT MORE GUDDER AT TURTLE DANCIN'!

Edited by PII
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, NESfiend said:

A true first effort. I played this one a lot when I first started collecting. I was a few hits away from downing that snowy bastard. Hopefully I can find time somewhere. Will be working next two nights unfortunately

Level 4 - 259 points

Edit: surely that @Bearcat-Dougguy shows up for this one. I have a feeling he could destroy us in a half asleep run...

20220509_233334.jpg

That's actually Scene 3 (Level 3), as the sewers are still part of Scene 2...

24 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That's actually Scene 3 (Level 3), as the sewers are still part of Scene 2...

I mean, technically yes, but for this purpose I would say beating a boss and having a screen change would constitute a level.  Though @BeaIank should probably clarify what counts as a level for progression, I would go with the in-game breakdown (found via the stage select code):
Level 1 - Duh
Level 2 - The first half of scene 1 (streets)
Level 3 - The sewers
Level 4 - First half of scene 3 (snow section)
Level 5 - Parking lot
Level 6 - First half of scene 4 (bridge)
Level 7 - Skateboard section of bridge
Level 8 - Scene 5 (after crash)
Level 9 - Scene 6 (dojo)
Level 10 - Scene 7 (Technodrome)

See Basil, cheats do serve a purpose 😉

• Like 1