IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TMNT 2!

BeaIank

36 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I mean, technically yes, but for this purpose I would say beating a boss and having a screen change would constitute a level.  Though @BeaIank should probably clarify what counts as a level for progression, I would go with the in-game breakdown (found via the stage select code):
Level 1 - Duh
Level 2 - The first half of scene 1 (streets)
Level 3 - The sewers
Level 4 - First half of scene 3 (snow section)
Level 5 - Parking lot
Level 6 - First half of scene 4 (bridge)
Level 7 - Skateboard section of bridge
Level 8 - Scene 5 (after crash)
Level 9 - Scene 6 (dojo)
Level 10 - Scene 7 (Technodrome)

See Basil, cheats do serve a purpose 😉

The game tells you when there is a scene change, and specifically numbers them, so why would you/we renumber everything ourselves?  Everyone has posted so far based on Scene (except Nesfiend); why make it confusing?  Just use the levels as they are numbered by the game itself - called "scenes."

EDIT - and once again, why bring cheats into the argument?  This competition is not using cheats; why would we bring the cheat menu into the equation to muddle the issue?  The game explicitly tells you what scene you are on - no need to use cheats...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The game tells you when there is a scene change, so why would you/we renumber everything ourselves?  Everyone has posted so far based on Scene (except Nesfiend); why make it confusing?  Just use the levels as they are numbered by the game itself - called "scenes."

I always considered it by the numbers.  And the game itself has 10 stages by it's own internal breakdown.  Frankly, if I beat Bebop, I would've numbered it as level 3 as well, before such a breakdown was necessary.  That said, I think literally everyone here knows how progress should be tracked, and if someone got to the sewers, they would be a higher level than someone who didn't.  I have to ask - if you had died on Bebop, and I managed to kill him but died on the first enemy on stage 3, giving me 132 points to your 133, would you think it was fair to have me ranked below you due to the sewer technically being part of scene 2?  I think not.  Basically, whether you number them as the game does behind the scenes, or broken down (scene 2 part 1 being the street and scene 2 part 2 being the sewer), they are functionally identical and 100% equivalent regardless of the naming conventions used.

In other words, break it down like so:

Level 1 - Scene 1
Level 2 - Scene 2, Part 1
Level 3 - Scene 2, Part 2
Level 4 - Scene 3, Part 1
Level 5 - Scene 3, Part 2
Level 6 - Scene 4, Part 1
Level 7 - Scene 4, Part 2
Level 8 - Scene 5
Level 9 - Scene 6
Level 10 - Scene 7

With that handy dandy conversion chart, anyone can figure out how far they've progressed.  Though I think additional breakdowns on scene 7 for the separate boss fights (so Level 11/Scene 7-2 for the Krang fight and Level 12/Scene 7-3 for the Shredder fight) should also be used as checkpoint markers, as bosses are pretty tough in this game overall, although those distinctions are entirely at @BeaIank's discretion.  Regardless, there is no need for anyone to conform to a numbering system - use the scenes or use the levels, it really isn't important, as long as progression can be identified.

32 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Which turtle do you guys prefer use? 🐢

Well, unlike the third game, I can't really tell if there's even a difference between the turtles other than cosmetically.  I just switch it up periodically for a change of pace.

Anyway, edited in the unofficial scoreboard on the first page (my first post after my score) if anyone wants to take a peek. 

26 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I always considered it by the numbers.  And the game itself has 10 stages by it's own internal breakdown.  Frankly, if I beat Bebop, I would've numbered it as level 3 as well, before such a breakdown was necessary.  That said, I think literally everyone here knows how progress should be tracked, and if someone got to the sewers, they would be a higher level than someone who didn't.  I have to ask - if you had died on Bebop, and I managed to kill him but died on the first enemy on stage 3, giving me 132 points to your 133, would you think it was fair to have me ranked below you due to the sewer technically being part of scene 2?  I think not.  Basically, whether you number them as the game does behind the scenes, or broken down (scene 2 part 1 being the street and scene 2 part 2 being the sewer), they are functionally identical and 100% equivalent regardless of the naming conventions used.

In other words, break it down like so:

Level 1 - Scene 1
Level 2 - Scene 2, Part 1
Level 3 - Scene 2, Part 2
Level 4 - Scene 3, Part 1
Level 5 - Scene 3, Part 2
Level 6 - Scene 4, Part 1
Level 7 - Scene 4, Part 2
Level 8 - Scene 5
Level 9 - Scene 6
Level 10 - Scene 7

With that handy dandy conversion chart, anyone can figure out how far they've progressed.  Though I think additional breakdowns on scene 7 for the separate boss fights (so Level 11/Scene 7-2 for the Krang fight and Level 12/Scene 7-3 for the Shredder fight) should also be used as checkpoint markers, as bosses are pretty tough in this game overall, although those distinctions are entirely at @BeaIank's discretion.  Regardless, there is no need for anyone to conform to a numbering system - use the scenes or use the levels, it really isn't important, as long as progression can be identified.

Dude, we don't need a chart from a cheat code to track this!  It's progress first and you have to provide a photo, so there is literally no situation where you need to use a cheat code to find out who's gotten further.  If I beat Bebop and you don't, I'm on Scene 2 part 2, so I'm further, regardless of points.

Why are you trying to make this ridiculously complicated? Look at the posted scores of the guys who made it to Scenes 5 & 6 - what level did they list their deaths on??? Come on, man, don't tell me Bea wants to make us all look up a cheat code chart to list our progress. I mean, really, come on.  Look back on your last couple of posts and tell me you're not needlessly obfuscating something that is literally a non-issue to begin with...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I almost have Bebop's pattern down so hopefully I can reach stage 3.

I think you'll find stage 3 to be easier than both stages 1 and 2.  Easier (easiest?) boss, less chaotic fights and the obstacle avoiding parts are pretty easy.

23 minutes ago, Krunch said:

I think you'll find stage 3 to be easier than both stages 1 and 2.  Easier (easiest?) boss, less chaotic fights and the obstacle avoiding parts are pretty easy.

I can't say I'm a fan of the snowmen that take a lot of hits and have homing missiles.

And what's with there being almost no health drops? I keep hoping there's going to be a pizza and nope.

13 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I can't say I'm a fan of the snowmen that take a lot of hits and have homing missiles.

And what's with there being almost no health drops? I keep hoping there's going to be a pizza and nope.

Later on they start putting health drops right at a few of the bosses.  But anyway, I'm shocked you're having trouble with this game since you're so good at the double dragons.  I suck at the dd's, but Turtles 2 seems so much easier by comparison.  We're all built a little bit differently, I guess...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

21 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Later on they start putting health drops right at a few of the bosses.  But anyway, I'm shocked you're having trouble with this game since you're so good at the doubl dragons.  I suck at the dd's, but Turtles 2 seems so much easier by comparison.  We're all built a little bit differently, I guess...

It's probably that I have so much more experience with the Double Dragons and other NES beat em ups. This isn't my favorite beat em up although it's growing on me a little.

EDIT: The lack of health refills threw me off as well. You don't usually have to be so careful about conserving health in the first stage of a game like this.

Edited by mbd39

11 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@mbd39 what’s your top favorite beat um ups

i got battletoads, tmnt 2/3, dd 1/2, Batman returns, renegade, king fu (beat um up?).

mighty final fight and river city arent as good as most people say imo

Good question!

My top spots for the NES go to the Double Dragons, Battletoads and Kung Fu. Those are the classics. And then the lesser ones that I enjoy such as POW and RollerGames. I like Bayou Billy but that might be because I'm decent at it. Not sure how I'd rank the turtles games. TMNT3 seems good enough but I only played it for the one contest, and TMNT2 is growing on me.

Also the first two Streets of Rage and Golden Axe on the Genesis.

I've actually never played RCR.

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

My bad, I meant the sewer level, the snow level is a bit tricky but it becomes one of the easier ones in the long run.  

For the snowmen I usually just try to push one or both of them onto the side, you can spam them with just the basic attack if theyre stuck this way.  Usually i jump kick them into the side. If need be you can manage the missiles by destroying them.

But my advice also rests a bit on the fact that I don't mind taking dmg at this part.  The boss is pretty easy if you stay on one horizontal line and just keep trying to jumpkick his shins so he drops the iceball, which then also won't damage you as you're resetting your position.

The pizza definitely gets more generous in the late game... I wonder if it's because that's where the game starts to variate more from the arcade version?  It makes the late game run more smooth and the game more fair.

Events Team · Posted
On 5/10/2022 at 9:49 PM, NESfiend said:

Leo. Pretty sure don is better, but its a tradition that cant be broken 

23 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Donatello for life.  I don't think I've even ever tried Raph or Mike; I might have tried Leo once or twice...

Hate to break it to you but April loves Raph the best.

7jfJfXJ.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

On 5/10/2022 at 2:14 AM, Krunch said:

Scene 5, 533, before the robotic laser arms

429C7FA2-367C-4166-881B-EBF344F25903.jpeg

Does before laser arms matter? Im updating to just after them, but have fewer points. I assume progress score is just based on how many levels you beat. 

I had to pause at the beginning of that level and assumed I just came back cold. Seeing you also didnt reach the boss, wondering if foot clan difficulty ramps up there? Either way, what freakng fun this game is. 

Finally, for those conspiracy theorists (morbis) thinking hey, i thought he had to work tonight? I did. The case I had set for hearing tomorrow and have been sweating too long was dismissed. Even with spare time, could really only get one run. Hour a game, not much room for error

25 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Does before laser arms matter? Im updating to just after them, but have fewer points. I assume progress score is just based on how many levels you beat. 

I had to pause at the beginning of that level and assumed I just came back cold. Seeing you also didnt reach the boss, wondering if foot clan difficulty ramps up there? Either way, what freakng fun this game is. 

Finally, for those conspiracy theorists (morbis) thinking hey, i thought he had to work tonight? I did. The case I had set for hearing tomorrow and have been sweating too long was dismissed. Even with spare time, could really only get one run. Hour a game, not much room for error

No, i was too specific, maybe being at the boss would be farther? but otherwise same level.

At any rate I have a better pic already. And even that ill improve on soon.  I played with all continues a bit tonight, so I could practice Shredder and Krang.