IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TMNT 2!

BeaIank

56 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

EDIT: Never mind. Game works better as a low score contest or that speedrun thing.

Totally agree.  I got so sick of killing mousers that my time spent point-scumming was getting shorter and shorter with every attempt as I would say "fuck it!" earlier and earlier.  I also think it takes more skill to kill Baxter asap without wasting time on any mousers, so a low score 1-life contest would be more skill-based, I think.

4 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I was looking at Gamefaqs and a couple of the guides say that he's very easy or even the easiest boss in the game. I wonder which samurai they were fighting. I like that he doesn't have much health compared to other bosses but the head always fucks me up.

There's no time limit so maybe it is  a good plan to just keep dodging the head and only attack when it's attached. It'd take forever though, especially if the head comes off quick.

I think I usually just kinda keep fighting through the head moving, and watch the head mostly, just trying to get as many kicks in as possible.  Maybe with enough health you could smash him with your special a couple times before the head comes off again, even if you take a bit of damage for it.  Cant believe this is what sunk me

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Totally agree.  I got so sick of killing mousers that my time spent point-scumming was getting shorter and shorter with every attempt as I would say "fuck it!" earlier and earlier.  I also think it takes more skill to kill Baxter asap without wasting time on any mousers, so a low score 1-life contest would be more skill-based, I think.

I sort of agree that low score 1 life is the way because you avoid this, and also it adds a bit of strategy into lots of the mob fights, wherein you have to use projectiles etc to kill enemies for 0 and it's quite hard to get all that perfect.  But it's still not hard to do most of them, and IMO it's fun because using the projectiles is sheer fun

1 minute ago, Krunch said:

I sort of agree that low score 1 life is the way because you avoid this, and also it adds a bit of strategy into lots of the mob fights, wherein you have to use projectiles etc to kill enemies for 0 and it's quite hard to get all that perfect.  But it's still not hard to do most of them, and IMO it's fun because using the projectiles is sheer fun

Yeah, I didn't even think about that - plus you'd try to set up the bombs in the barrels to go off at the right times to kill as many footsoldiers as possible.  1-life, low score is starting to sound better and better...

4 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I can't believe I thought this game is so hard. It only really starts to get hard at scene 5 or 6. But even scene 5 is pretty easy for me now.

Yeah, the Samarai and Krang are literally the only hard parts for me now.  I've killed Shredder without getting hit more than once or twice numerous times this week, and I even finally beat the Samarai on my first life once, so really, Krang is the only sticking point for me to no-deathing the game, but at this point I'm done with it.

Also, it's funny that on the first page of this thread you couldn't even get through the first level without dying and were begging for early pizzas!!!  The difference between this game and every other beat'em up ever is that this game doesn't have brawling: either you 1-shot each dude with your special attack, or you take damage - period.  It's all about timing and positioning on the screen: fist fights are pretty much banned if you care at all about your health...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, the Samarai and Krang are literally the only hard parts for me now.  I've killed Shredder without getting hit more than once or twice numerous times this week, and I even finally beat the Samarai on my first life once, so really, Krang is the only sticking point for me to no-deathing the game, but at this point I'm done with it.

Also, it's funny that on the first page of this thread you couldn't even get through the first level without dying and were begging for early pizzas!!!  The difference between this game and every other beat'em up ever is that this game doesn't have brawling: either you 1-shot each dude with your specail attack, or you take damage - period.  It's all about timing and positioning on the screen; fist fights are pretty much banned if you care at all about your health...

Yeah. This plays so differently from other beat em ups that I'm good at such as Double Dragon and POW. I just had to get used to it. And now I can see what the fuss is about with the turtles games when I didn't care for them at all. Now I should just beat the game because I haven't done that yet.

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah. This plays so differently from other beat em ups that I'm good at such as Double Dragon and POW. I just had to get used to it. And now I can see what the fuss is about with the turtles games when I didn't care for them at all. Now I should just beat the game because I haven't done that yet.

Then give TMNT III a try, because it's actually better than this game.  The only major difference to the gameplay is that the special move now costs you a life bar, so it's really only useful if you're desperate (or down to one life bar, since it won't take away your last bar, so it becomes free to use at that point).  It seems like a minor change, but it completely changes the gameplay since TMNT II is all about spamming the special move into oblivion...

I'm not really sure why, but the couple of times I'd slotted this game in the past I'd gotten the vibe that it wouldn't be anything terribly great in spite of its popularity.  Glad I decided to get into it though.  Aside from a few short-comings it's pretty unique and the fight took on a really slick rhythm once I knew what I was doing. 

• Like 1

Anyone else still have some issues with Bebop? I like to keep jump kicking him when he's shooting, but sometimes he'll immediately break into a charge right after shooting which fucks me up. He can be really easy or he can give me trouble depending on if he behaves.

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Anyone else still have some issues with Bebop? I like to keep jump kicking him when he's shooting, but sometimes he'll immediately break into a charge right after shooting which fucks me up. He can be really easy or he can give me trouble depending on if he behaves.

I always jump-kick him right after he shoots and then jump back to where I was and repeat, always watching for the charge.  Been pretty close to a no damage fight that way.

Just now, PII said:

I always jump-kick him right after he shoots and then jump back to where I was and repeat, always watching for the charge.  Been pretty close to a no damage fight that way.

Yeah, same strat. But sometimes I'll jump kick right into his charge with nothing I can do about it He has some unpredictability that's annoying.

6 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah, same strat. But sometimes I'll jump kick right into his charge with nothing I can do about it He has some unpredictability that's annoying.

Initially, I thought he was kinda ridiculous for a 2nd level boss, especially since the next 3 bosses are so easy

15 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Unless I missed a score somewhere, it looks like you were right!

Nicely done man!! Figured you show up and clear it. Really sad I didnt get a few more shots at this. @docile tapewormproblems with a toddler and a baby. Im sure she (baby) will start sleeping at night sometime this summer and I will get somewhat back to form thereafter, but time is tough to come by now. And thats fine overall, but this was a tough one to miss out on. I need to look at the schedule and start prioritizing where I can play a game for 3-4 weeks. Ill keep throwing participations up though and ill keep popping in to heckle and bitch

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Nicely done man!! Figured you show up and clear it. Really sad I didnt get a few more shots at this. @docile tapewormproblems with a toddler and a baby. Im sure she (baby) will start sleeping at night sometime this summer and I will get somewhat back to form thereafter, but time is tough to come by now. And thats fine overall, but this was a tough one to miss out on. I need to look at the schedule and start prioritizing where I can play a game for 3-4 weeks. Ill keep throwing participations up though and ill keep popping in to heckle and bitch

Dude this week was crazy it put me in peril and shook me, I was gunning for the TMNT2 win, it was a dream week until it was a nightmare.  And it's compounded onto my previously existing shell shock of not being able to beat Krang in the 2013 summer tournament.  

Comparing 1st to 4th is double/half, 20 points to 10 now, it feels more severe but also appropriate.  I got the 4th place blues.  With how the scoring system is now you could still make something happen with limited playtime, if you focus on a few and get some wins.  Even 2nds are pretty good, they're worth 10+ more than 6th place downward

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NESfiend said:

7 hours ago, Krunch said:

Dude this week was crazy it put me in peril and shook me, I was gunning for the TMNT2 win, it was a dream week until it was a nightmare.  And it's compounded onto my previously existing shell shock of not being able to beat Krang in the 2013 summer tournament.  

Comparing 1st to 4th is double/half, 20 points to 10 now, it feels more severe but also appropriate.  I got the 4th place blues.  With how the scoring system is now you could still make something happen with limited playtime, if you focus on a few and get some wins.  Even 2nds are pretty good, they're worth 10+ more than 6th place downward

I look at the schedule and pick out a few that I really want to play and try to play them when I get the time. Like silver surfer is the next one for me and it’s in the frontloader now. I’ve had time for one 30 minute session so far. I didn’t plan on playing tmnt2 but I couldn’t help myself and then fin wanted to play so that was awesome.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I saw you tagged me around mid week and I usually have free time on Sunday mornings so I figured I'd get a run in. I just played for fun without any extra point pressing so I didn't think I would get the win based on being the only player to finish the game since I think 5 of us did it during the 2013 tournament.

6 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I saw you tagged me around mid week and I usually have free time on Sunday mornings so I figured I'd get a run in. I just played for fun without any extra point pressing so I didn't think I would get the win based on being the only player to finish the game since I think 5 of us did it during the 2013 tournament.

Most of us got stuck in scene 6. I couldn't figure out a consistent strat for the samurai boss in time or I might have been able to beat the game. Krang looks like a beast though.

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Krang looks like a beast though.

He is just such a grind. And even playing conservatively, Id still burn through a life or 2 on him when I used to play this a lot. Then shreddar has a one hit kill move? Yeah, thats a hell of a sequence even if you stockpiled lives. I never beat shreddar alone. Co-op its def doable, but to get through krang AND shreddar on one life? Pretty Herculaneum. Not at all surprised only one guy did it this year. Completely shocked that so many people did it in previous contest(s). 

27 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

He is just such a grind. And even playing conservatively, Id still burn through a life or 2 on him when I used to play this a lot. Then shreddar has a one hit kill move? Yeah, thats a hell of a sequence even if you stockpiled lives. I never beat shreddar alone. Co-op its def doable, but to get through krang AND shreddar on one life? Pretty Herculaneum. Not at all surprised only one guy did it this year. Completely shocked that so many people did it in previous contest(s). 

The 2013 tournament reminds me of the 2017 Marble Madness contest where 10 people got at least 170k. My 171k score wasn't even good enough for top 8. Seven people beating TMNT2 in one life is just as crazy.

2012 was the other one life contest and results were much closer to this week's. https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview003f.html?StartRow=26&catid=31&threadid=69382

• Agree 1