IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TMNT 2!

BeaIank

5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Beating the last two bosses with one life seems like a tall order. I never made it that far, but they look like a pain in the ass. Shredder even has an insta-kill move.

It's been a while since I've played this, but I think there's a way to basically trap them both without getting hit.

2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

The fuck kinda snake is this?

That's a North Floridian Worm Hooch Eater.  You slowly feed it into your colon until it reaches your pancreas.  I know, I know; it's not a pretty business, but it'll take care of that spider for ya.

• Haha 2

Well, I can officially say that I've One-Deathed it...

...Also, correction to my previous post on the topic:  You can pause during the shredder fight.  However pause did not work after beating him and you do not get a score display anywhere in the aftermath.

Possible rule change?  Game ends when you knock the real Shredder's helmet off........?

Edited by PII

40 minutes ago, PII said:

Well, I can officially say that I've One-Deathed it...

...Also, correction to my previous post on the topic:  You can pause during the shredder fight.  However pause did not work after beating him and you do not get a score display anywhere in the aftermath.

Possible rule change?  Game ends when you knock the real Shredder's helmet off........?

Or snap a pic once real Shredder's helmet is off, and if you beat him (it's only a couple more hits after that), take a picture of the ending and add one point to your score...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Or snap a pic once real Shredder's helmet is off, and if you beat him (it's only a couple more hits after that), take a picture of the ending and add one point to your score...

I will also accept this.
Taking the picture when you kill Shredder is preferable, but this is acceptable.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
On 5/10/2022 at 1:44 AM, JamesRobot said:

Score withdrawn 

I just realized I was probably cheating, farming the motorcycle Foot ninjas.  It didn't occur to me at the time because we were allowing boss farming.  I probably got about as many of them as I did mousers from the Baxter Stockman fight.  

I'll take a zero score scene six for now, if that works.

29 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I just realized I was probably cheating, farming the motorcycle Foot ninjas.  It didn't occur to me at the time because we were allowing boss farming.  I probably got about as many of them as I did mousers from the Baxter Stockman fight.  

Yeah, it's too bad farming the motorcycle guy isn't allowed but the Baxter fight is, as it takes forever to farm at Baxter.  I actually tried to calculate what I needed to max the score at exactly 999 on the Shredder fight, and it took me so freaking long, then two problems arose after all that work: I died long before Shredder (on the Samarai at the end of Scene 6) and worst of all, when I played out my game, I ended up with 1002 points at Shredder, meaning that 999 is not the max, so you could literally farm forever and not hit a max score.  So if I do any more runs this weekend, I'm going to tone down my farming just for the sake of my own sanity...

EDIT: I also can't even get Krang flashing in one life, never mind kill him, so if I can make it to Krang on one life, that will be my final score.

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Events Team · Posted
35 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Zero score scene six works for me. If you can beat it, post the new score.
For now, your progress counts towards the scoreboard.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I might get one more run.  My game always falls apart at the tigers though.  The tigers, scorpions, and the samurai all give me issues.

I've never made it past the tigers in one life but I have a strategy now.

Using all my lives I made it to the boss right before Krang. It sucks that you don't get the pizza at the boss.

I hate that runs take so long too. It's exhausting.

Edited by mbd39

7 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Using all my lives I made it to the boss right before Krang. It sucks that you don't get the pizza at the boss.

I actually like that last pizza placement in the Technodrome because I'm usually running on fumes by the time I get it, then the rest of the level between the pizza and that boss before Krang is pretty short and easy.  I actually find that boss to be one of the easiest in the game.

9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I hate that runs take so long too. It's exhausting.

This is what bugs me the most; once you add in point-scumming at Baxter, my runs must be well over an hour and a half (though I haven't actually timed them).  I'm only going to have time to do one or two more runs this weekend, and the Samurai boss has had my number the last four runs in a row.  His floating head keeps getting in the damn way...

Events Team · Posted

Yeah, I have this issue with how long this game takes as well.
I guess next time we play it, we will go with stage select to start at the Technodrome and make it a speed run to see who beats it faster.
Sounds more fun for the weekly contest this way.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I've never made it past the tigers in one life but I have a strategy now.

What I do is let them run at me, then I hit them at the last second and move forward when they're knocked back and hit them again, and keep doing this till they're off the screen.  At this point, I let them run to the other side of the screen and set up to rinse and repeat.  I almost never get hit with this strategy.

6 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Yeah, I have this issue with how long this game takes as well.
I guess next time we play it, we will go with stage select to start at the Technodrome and make it a speed run to see who beats it faster.
Sounds more fun for the weekly contest this way.

Yeah, it's a great game, but even the speed runs on youtube are almost 40 minutes.  Maybe a speed run of the last couple Scenes would work well...

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

What I do is let them run at me, then I hit them at the last second and move forward when they're knocked back and hit them again, and keep doing this till they're off the screen.  At this point, I let them run to the other side of the screen and set up to rinse and repeat.  I almost never get hit with this strategy.

Yeah, it's a great game, but even the speed runs on youtube are almost 40 minutes.  Maybe a speed run of the last couple Scenes would work well...

Yeah, the plan is to have a speed run of the last stage only. I will consider that for TMNT 3 too in the future, to allow for shorter run times, allowing for more runs and practise to take place.
It will be more fun for everyone involved.

• Agree 1

Sometimes I can lock the scene 5 boss into a good pattern of jump kicks and sometimes he keeps kicking my ass. This time I just barely squeaked by him with one health left, it was a miracle.

Edited by mbd39

47 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Yeah, the plan is to have a speed run of the last stage only. I will consider that for TMNT 3 too in the future, to allow for shorter run times, allowing for more runs and practise to take place.
It will be more fun for everyone involved.

Stage 1 speed run could be fun too.  Might also be more accessible than a final stage speed run.  Although I would suggest with a speed run that it's not 1 life.  Dying costs time, so there's incentive to not die from that, so there's no reason to kill a run because of a death.  But yeah, I feel like this is a pretty good candidate for a future speed run.