IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TMNT 2!

BeaIank

21 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The 2013 tournament reminds me of the 2017 Marble Madness contest where 10 people got at least 170k. My 171k score wasn't even good enough for top 8. Seven people beating TMNT2 in one life is just as crazy.

2012 was the other one life contest and results were much closer to this week's. https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview003f.html?StartRow=26&catid=31&threadid=69382

The fact that it was played 2 years in a row, and is an all time classic, may explain the crazy 2013 results. If we played a game I did ok in again only one year later, that week would have a whole different feel. Usually it takes a few nights just to get familiar (or refamiliar) with a game and get somewhat competent.

If you started from a place where you were somewhat fresh and could already get most of the way thru without any practice at all, could put all focus into those last 2 bosses. Then maybe it would become doable

Edit: that, or people just figured out how to cheese those two bosses. @Bearcat-Doug, you beat shreddar pretty fast. You find or know of an exploit there?

Edited by NESfiend

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Edit: that, or people just figured out how to cheese those two bosses. @Bearcat-Doug, you beat shreddar pretty fast. You find or know of an exploit there?

Knock the helmet off of the fake Shredder, then back the real one up against the edge of the screen. You can time it so you can jump kick him repeatedly where he swipes his sword at you while you're already in the air. The fake one will typically stay away, but if he moves close, run him off and reset your position. As long as you keep your timing down, you won't even get hit. Since he always slashes at you when you jump, he won't use his lightning attack.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Wow! 1

28 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Bearcat-Doug I got a guy at work says he’s going to deer park and goldstar chili is better

I grew up on Gold Star. It was literally a block from my house and I would walk over all the time as a kid. The closest Skyline was 20 minutes away so I didn't get to go often. Honestly, I like both, but they do taste different. Skyline is a little heavier on the seasonings, but it doesn't seem to be quite as thick as Gold Star.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Knock the helmet off of the fake Shredder, then back the real one up against the edge of the screen. You can time it so you can jump kick him repeatedly where he swipes his sword at you while you're already in the air. The fake one will typically stay away, but if he moves close, run him off and reset your position. As long as you keep your timing down, you won't even get hit. Since he just slashes at you when you jump, he won't use his lightning attack.

Thanks! Now maybe I can beat this. I made it to Shredder without a game over and then got demolished by that stupid lightning.

I also can't yet beat Krang without burning a couple lives. It's not that he's all that hard, he's similar to the other bosses, it's that he takes forever to kill.

Oh, and I reached scene 7 in one life finally.

Edited by mbd39

Just now, mbd39 said:

Thanks! Now maybe I can beat this. I made it to Shredder without a game over and then got demolished by that stupid lightning.

I also can't yet beat Krang without burning a couple lives. It's not that he's all that hard, he's similar to the other bosses, it's that he takes forever to kill.

The trick is timing your jump kicks so that Shredder always slashes underneath you, but it's not too tough to get down.

How do you guys do the special attack? I like to grip the controller with my index and middle fingers on the buttons. It makes it a lot easier for me and my thumb doesn't get sore. Then I'll switch to using my thumb when I have to do a lot of jump kicks.

15 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The trick is timing your jump kicks so that Shredder always slashes underneath you, but it's not too tough to get down.

Thanks again! Is there a trick to Krang besides tanking him with back and forth jump kicks? Jump kicking works but it's next to impossible to not burn a life or two.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Thanks again! Is there a trick to Krang besides tanking him with back and forth jump kicks? Jump kicking works but it's next to impossible to not burn a life or two.

It takes forever, but I just hit him with a jump kick, back off and repeat. If you happen to be close when he does his flexing thing, you can get a few quick hits in. I've never watched a speedrun of this, but there is probably a quicker way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

How do you guys do the special attack? I like to grip the controller with my index and middle fingers on the buttons. It makes it a lot easier for me and my thumb doesn't get sore. Then I'll switch to using my thumb when I have to do a lot of jump kicks.

I just lay my thumb across the buttons. It's the same thing I do for cyclone kicks in Double Dragon II, so it's basically second nature. 

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Thumb-slide for special move

I try to drag my turtle's knee over the top of "krang's head", turn and special move real quick before jumping up or down out of the way.  But no turn and special if he's kicking or about to, then just get out of the way.  And never attack him when he's doing that whiny pout thing with his fists over his head.  Jump-kicking him foot to head can result in getting hit with his eye-beam...

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 3:52 PM, mbd39 said:

Here's a video that might help you and @NESfiend with Shredder since he's using the same corner trap strategy that I do. The Shredder fight starts around the 36:35 mark.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Here's a video that might help you and @NESfiend with Shredder since he's using the same corner trap strategy that I do. The Shredder fight starts around the 36:35 mark.

Thanks!

I actually finally beat this the other day. I no-deathed it up to the last three bosses and then finished with two lives left.  I'd still like to beat it deathless.

• Wow! 1

24 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Thanks!

I actually finally beat this the other day. I no-deathed it up to the last three bosses and then finished with two lives left.  I'd still like to beat it deathless.

You're on the way. The Krang fight is the tedious one. If you aim your jump kick at the shoulder pad behind his head, you should land far enough back where he can't kick you or hit you with his lasers. Just repeat that and you should get to the point where you can beat Krang and Shredder with minimal damage.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 9:48 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Thanks for posting. Gave me a reason to get back to playing. Just cleared the snow level on one life. Probably wont get much more tonight, but I should be able to finish the game tomorrow. Id be pumped if I could 1 cc it. Thanks again!

12 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Thanks for posting. Gave me a reason to get back to playing. Just cleared the snow level on one life. Probably wont get much more tonight, but I should be able to finish the game tomorrow. Id be pumped if I could 1 cc it. Thanks again!

No problem! I'm sure that you'll be able to clear it with a little more practice.

• The topic was unpinned