IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TMNT 2!

BeaIank

On 5/10/2022 at 1:01 AM, NESfiend said:

Edit: surely that @Bearcat-Dougguy shows up for this one. I have a feeling he could destroy us in a half asleep run...

Here you go since I had some free time this morning. I didn't really do any extra point pressing, so this score is easily beatable.

772 (Game Completed)

20220515_104459.jpg.b8c3e0a533be5fd0e7c91d2d617aeae8.jpg

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Krunch said:

As much as I hate Krang it's probably one of the best designed boss fights I've ever seen.  You have to really fight with skill and you can't fake your way through it, unless what Doug said about trapping him is true

I got mixed up, Shredder is the one you can trap in the corner. The Krang fight is a lot more tedious.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I got mixed up, Shredder is the one you can trap in the corner. The Krang fight is a lot more tedious.

Damn.  I beat Krang without dying a few times (not on a run) but I still haven't got em both in one life.  Of course in the 2013 contest I couldnt even ever beat Krang.  He's not too bad... I've crafted a strategy where I can get pretty good damage in for a low-medium amount of risk.  It's easy to get flustered and then greedy though, since I did find a way to land lots of consecutive hits but it's not as likely he'll follow the right sequence to enable this.

2 hours ago, Krunch said:

Damn.  I beat Krang without dying a few times (not on a run) but I still haven't got em both in one life.  Of course in the 2013 contest I couldnt even ever beat Krang.  He's not too bad... I've crafted a strategy where I can get pretty good damage in for a low-medium amount of risk.  It's easy to get flustered and then greedy though, since I did find a way to land lots of consecutive hits but it's not as likely he'll follow the right sequence to enable this.

The jump kick, back off and repeat strategy works pretty well for me, but it takes forever. 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well I finally beat the Samurai at the end of Scene 6 and made it to Krang on one life, but he proceeded to beat the ever loving shit out of me.  So I'm done with Turtles II.  @mbd39 I hope you're able to get passed that son of a bitch Samarai too, if you haven't already... 🙂

I've beat him with one life when practicing with the level select code but never in a full run. Hopefully I can do it.

Sometimes the head flies off almost immediately when the fight starts and other times you can can get a fair amount of hits in before the head flies off. Seems random.

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

I've beat him with one life when practicing with the level select code but never in a full run. Hopefully I can do it.

Sometimes the head flies off almost immediately when the fight starts and other times you can can get a fair amount of hits in before the head flies off. Seems random.

What finally worked for me was jump-kicking back and forth when the head was attached, and then running away and dodging when the head was floating around.  It takes longer, of course, but backing off when that damn head is floating about is what saved me from getting hit so much...

47 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

What finally worked for me was jump-kicking back and forth when the head was attached, and then running away and dodging when the head was floating around.  It takes longer, of course, but backing off when that damn head is floating about is what saved me from getting hit so much...

I had the mother of all stupid deaths a while ago. I had six health going to the boss so I figured I'd get in some damage before grabbing the pizza. I wasn't paying enough attention to my health and finally had to get the pizza but then died before I could get to it. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck, lol.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

In honor of TMNT's scoring system can't we give skinny 1 point this week?

5 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It would take him all of ten minutes to get good enough to get to Scene 2, and he's got a full two hours to do it, so I'd say the ball is in his court at this point...

I’m pretty sure I have no death for sure 1cc. I’ll give it another run here in a minute.

On 5/14/2022 at 8:00 PM, BeaIank said:

Yeah, I have this issue with how long this game takes as well.
I guess next time we play it, we will go with stage select to start at the Technodrome and make it a speed run to see who beats it faster.
Sounds more fun for the weekly contest this way.

How about next time you can't go over 800 points? Anyone who beats the game with 800 ties for first. If you get over 800 then your progress still counts but your score will be 0.

EDIT: Never mind. Game works better as a low score contest or that speedrun thing.

Edited by mbd39

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

I had the mother of all stupid deaths a while ago. I had six health going to the boss so I figured I'd get in some damage before grabbing the pizza. I wasn't paying enough attention to my health and finally had to get the pizza but then died before I could get to it. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck, lol.

I had a similar thing happen last night when I was on the Samurai.  I didn't die on my way to the pizza but it threw off my rhythm with the floating head and I just got stuck in a bad rhythm with the thing until death...  I pretty much figured out how to dance with Krang, but this last run it seemed like I got hit just a few times and that still took me down to 3 life bars...  Only beat Shredder on the first try once this week and it was the 1-death run where I died on Krang...

Just now, mbd39 said:

Damn, I could have beat your score at least.

The samurai really sucks.

For sure, I just overlooked him too much during practice, I'd beaten him a few times but when it came to it I just couldn't pull.  Real bummer.  I wasnt in the TMNT mood yesterday so i put the whole ending on today.  Aargh

1 minute ago, PII said:

I had a similar thing happen last night when I was on the Samurai.  I didn't die on my way to the pizza but it threw off my rhythm with the floating head and I just got stuck in a bad rhythm with the thing until death...  I pretty much figured out how to dance with Krang, but this last run it seemed like I got hit just a few times and that still took me down to 3 life bars...  Only beat Shredder on the first try once this week and it was the 1-death run where I died on Krang...

I was absolutely framing it as a dance with Krang too in my head, lol.  It's definitely tightly designed that it allows you to do that.  He's hard on one life, but I consider it a pretty fair fight since normally it's designed for you to have spare lives. 

4 minutes ago, Krunch said:

For sure, I just overlooked him too much during practice, I'd beaten him a few times but when it came to it I just couldn't pull.  Real bummer.  I wasnt in the TMNT mood yesterday so i put the whole ending on today.  Aargh

I was looking at Gamefaqs and a couple of the guides say that he's very easy or even the easiest boss in the game. I wonder which samurai they were fighting. I like that he doesn't have much health compared to other bosses but the head always fucks me up.

There's no time limit so maybe it is  a good plan to just keep dodging the head and only attack when it's attached. It'd take forever though, especially if the head comes off quick.

Edited by mbd39