Jump to content
IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TMNT 2!


BeaIank
 Share

Recommended Posts

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gents, COWABUNGA!!!

It is TURTLE TIME, and our valiant, skilled players will shell up, pick their sort... ninjaish... weapons and go kick foot!

This time we are doing things a bit different. The rules are as follow:

  • 1 life only
  • Pick the Turtle of your preference.
  • If you beat the game, pause the game as soon as Shredder dies and take your picture then
  • Farming for points at bosses is allowed
  • Highest progress + highest score wins
  • Participation: Make to stage 2
  • Genre: Beat'em up

The contest ends Sunday, 05/15/22 at 11 pm EST.  Your user name should be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid. For speed runs that require video, that is not required.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted
1st Bearcat-Doug Game beaten - 772
2nd PII Scene 7-3 - 788
3rd Dr. Morbis Scene 7-2 - 823
4th Krunch Scene 6 - 677
5th mbd39 Scene 6 - 652
6th 8bitdontquit Scene 6 - 597
7th JamesRobot Scene 6 - 0
8th NESfiend Scene 5 - 512
9th the_wizard_666 Scene 2 - 131
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Posted (edited)

Nice, progress first.

SCORE EDIT - First run, and Bebop beat me up, Scene 2 - 133 pts
SCORE EDIT #2 - Getting better, Scene 3 - 272 pts:
SCORE EDIT #3 - Still need practice, Scene 5 - 518 pts:
SCORE EDIT #4 - Damn Samurai was almost dead, Scene 6 - 864 pts:
SCORE EDIT #5 - Finally made it to Krang on one life, so this will be my final submission,

Scene 7 (at Krang) - 823:

Turtles-5.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Level 2, 131 Points

20220509_175133.jpg.616a9679b62830bcbebfe0b30a95d35b.jpg

Man, I totally forgot how archaic this game is.  And how frustrating the hit detection can be.  I'm remembering why I haven't played it in a decade.  And why I may not bother trying to improve on this score.  Participation is all I have in me at this point.  If it was TMNT 3, maybe, but this one sucks.

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Man, I suck.  I can't even get to the Roadkill Rodneys.  Guess that's what I get for not playing it for...*checks list*...10 years.
EDIT: Adding the unofficial scoreboard:

@Krunch - Scene 6/Level 9 - 634 pts
@8bitdontquit - Scene 6/Level 9 - 597 pts
@JamesRobot - Scene 5/Level 8 - 556 pts
@Dr. Morbis - Scene 5/Level 8 - 518 pts
@NESfiend - Scene 5/Level 8 - 512 pts
@mbd39 - Scene 3-1/Level 4 - 257
@PII - Scene 2-1/Level 2 - 133 pts
@the_wizard_666 - Scene 2-1/Level 2 - 131 pts

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, posted my participation, and that's probably all I'm gonna get done this week.  I got lucky to get past Rocksteady once, pretty sure I don't have it in me to get past Bebop.  But I may as well bask in the short time I'm going to be at the top of the leaderboard 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
22 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well, posted my participation, and that's probably all I'm gonna get done this week.  I got lucky to get past Rocksteady once, pretty sure I don't have it in me to get past Bebop.  But I may as well bask in the short time I'm going to be at the top of the leaderboard 😆

Well, you're also at the bottom of the leaderboard too right now. 😛   I'm talking dead fucking last - not a single posted score is lower.... 😛😛😛

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Posted (edited)

SCENE 7-3 (SHREDDER) [788]

Scene 7 (Krang)     [775]

Scene 5     [545]     Rats.  I was close to beating this Asshole...

Scene 3 Part 1     [267]

LEVEL 2       [133]

 

 

 

 

 

TMNT II 7-3 SHREDDER.png

Edited by PII
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

Starting out the game = frustrating

Figuring out how to attack - Game = Fun

Getting ass kicked by Rocksteady over and over = frustrating Again.

Finally figuring out how to beat Rocksteady - Game = Fun Again.

Getting to Bebop, feeling like Bebop is easier than Rocksteady and getting clobbered anyway = ...Fun-strating

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm trying to figure out where I may have lost two points...anyone?

EDIT: Did a quick run trying a few different things.  I initially thought you could gain points from hitting thrown weapons, but that's not it.  I did, however, realize that by hitting a weapon back at an enemy and killing them (ie when the Foot Soldiers toss a manhole cover at you and you hit it back at them), it does NOT give you a point for that.  Assuming I hit all three in my run, @PIIand @Dr. Morbis appear to have missed 2 of the 3 manhole covers and had to kill the foot soldiers manually.  So to maximize points, dodge their throws and kill them normally.  Based on that, it would appear that the max would be 70 points after killing Rocksteady and 135 after killing Bebop (so 69 and 134 if the kills don't happen).  Level 3 becomes a crapshoot though, since that's the first level where point pressing can happen.  I may do a run to at least improve on my score (I doubt I'll want to play enough to kill Bebop, but I can definitely max out my participation score).

Edited by the_wizard_666
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Posted (edited)

A true first effort. I played this one a lot when I first started collecting. I was a few hits away from downing that snowy bastard. Hopefully I can find time somewhere. Will be working next two nights unfortunately

Scene 5 - level 8?  512 points

Edit: surely that @Bearcat-Dougguy shows up for this one. I have a feeling he could destroy us in a half asleep run...

 

20220511_230919.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, guillavoie said:

Scientists' consensus claims that failing at BeBop early in the week is, quote, ''normal'' !

If you guys keep playing it, you'll all be able to go all the way to the end of the game in 1 life by Sunday.

Not me.  I don't really care for beat-em-ups in general, so I just don't find grinding out a no-death run in this game to be fun.  A one credit run could be fun, but not a 1 life.  I also have a hard time playing this when I've played the crap out of TMNT 3...it's hard to go backwards for me.  I have that same problem with the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games...they're both great, but after playing 2 it's hard to play 1 again.  That's just me though, I'm sure a few others will manage to get through with ease and enjoyment.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I also have a hard time playing this when I've played the crap out of TMNT 3

When you first mentioned that, I thought it was exaggerated. Having played tmnt 3 hard for this contest in 2020, then going back to 2, I got it. Still a great game here though. But I agree, tmnt 3 is the best of the series and maybe the best beat em up on the NES 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Not me.  I don't really care for beat-em-ups in general, so I just don't find grinding out a no-death run in this game to be fun.  A one credit run could be fun, but not a 1 life.  I also have a hard time playing this when I've played the crap out of TMNT 3...it's hard to go backwards for me.  I have that same problem with the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games...they're both great, but after playing 2 it's hard to play 1 again.  That's just me though, I'm sure a few others will manage to get through with ease and enjoyment.

It is indeed a painful experience to learn all the right patterns to beat the game in 1-life, and can be quite hurtful on the wrist/thumb. I know what you mean, you have to have a little fun in doing it to make it worthwhile.

If you can find the will inside of you, the main upside of tackling TMNT 2 after TMNT 3 is that 2 is easier and, most important, shorter!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Not me.  I don't really care for beat-em-ups in general, so I just don't find grinding out a no-death run in this game to be fun.  A one credit run could be fun, but not a 1 life.  I also have a hard time playing this when I've played the crap out of TMNT 3...it's hard to go backwards for me.  I have that same problem with the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games...they're both great, but after playing 2 it's hard to play 1 again.  That's just me though, I'm sure a few others will manage to get through with ease and enjoyment.

I'm definitely not seeing what you're seeing.  For Konami to accomplish what they did with that arcade game on the NES... pretty incredible to me.

EDIT: Romance 1 to Romance 2, yeah, night and day, but Turtles 2 to Turtles 3, much smaller jump, like going from great to excellent.  You make it sound like Turtles 2 is unplayable trash if you've played 3...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
4 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

the main upside of tackling TMNT 2 after TMNT 3 is that 2 is easier and, most important, shorter!

Except for shreddar. Shreddar is beatable on 3. Thats why the grind is worth it. Never beat or saw anyone beat shreddar on tmnt 2. Its herculean 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NESfiend said:

When you first mentioned that, I thought it was exaggerated. Having played tmnt 3 hard for this contest in 2020, then going back to 2, I got it. Still a great game here though. But I agree, tmnt 3 is the best of the series and maybe the best beat em up on the NES 

Yeah, I loved this game as a kid, and it's still great, but a note for anyone who hasn't played through them yet, play them in sequence and you'll definitely enjoy them more.

Another factor for me is that I find beat-em-ups to be more fun playing co-op than playing solo.  I only even play through them with friends unless I have no choice (Mighty Final Fight comes to mind).

1 minute ago, guillavoie said:

It is indeed a painful experience to learn all the right patterns to beat the game in 1-life, and can be quite hurtful on the wrist/thumb. I know what you mean, you have to have a little fun in doing it to make it worthwhile.

If you can find the will inside of you, the main upside of tackling TMNT 2 after TMNT 3 is that 2 is easier and, most important, shorter!

That's the case with a lot of games. Learning the patterns is hard as hell sometimes.  I can generally spot them easily, but the execution is where I have issues.  I'm also not sure if it's just me or if others are noticing it too, but the bosses don't seem to have a pattern that they abide by.  Rocksteady only has a couple things that he does so while he's not really pattern-locked, he's reasonably predictable.  Bebop on the other hand, I find him very tough to predict.  I even went so far as to save-state after my death and try out a few things...and reloading the state ended up with him doing different shit every time.  I can figure out patterns with ease for most games, but in this case there's no consistency that I can find.  That said, in many ways that makes it a better game to play...it's just a hard one for me to perform well in.

Oddly enough though, I actually find TMNT 3 to be an easier game.  Definitely longer though, but not difficult.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm definitely not seeing what you're seeing.  For Konami to accomplish what they did with that arcade game on the NES... pretty incredible to me.

I already answered this on the phone earlier, but I agree, this is an impressive port given the hardware involved, and for the time it was mind blowing.  About the only thing they could've done better was enable 4-player support (might've helped sell some 4-Score units too), but other than that the game was amazing for it's time.  It also holds up really well all things considered.  I just find the third game to be better in every way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Except for shreddar. Shreddar is beatable on 3. Thats why the grind is worth it. Never beat or saw anyone beat shreddar on tmnt 2. Its herculean 

 Iwas about to say that I never beat Shredder in 1-life before, but after looking up the NA archives, I apparently did it in 2013, along with 6 other fellows! There got to be a trick because I sure as hell know that I would normally defeat Krang with very low health left!

https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageviewd1f5.html?StartRow=1&catid=31&threadid=106891

  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted

Sorry to reopen an old would @Krunch, I remember my score made you miss the cut for round 2.

The worst part for me is that I pretty much flushed my chance down the drain in round 2, I planned to do my run during Sunday, but totally forgot I had a family reunion taking up pretty much all my weekend. Ended practicing all week long and not being able to actually sat down and do my run. You would have done better than that for sure, lol!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
5 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

Sorry to reopen an old would @Krunch, I remember my score made you miss the cut for round 2.

The worst part for me is that I pretty much flushed my chance down the drain in round 2, I planned to do my run during Sunday, but totally forgot I had a family reunion taking up pretty much all my weekend. Ended practicing all week long and not being able to actually sat down and do my run. You would have done better than that for sure, lol!

Hahah, it's all good, I really had expected to still make it that year so it was a big blow.  It's crazy IMO that 8 people 1 lifed it, out of 9 since the 10th person didnt play

The upside is I'm just good at the game now.  No need to super-practice the early stuff over and over, I did a 1cc run last night with only medium effort and got to the red boss - kinda just blew it cause I was tired.   I would consider it pretty good.  Also the snow level gave me no trouble at all, I usually just take a lot of damage there.  And I actually burned a life on Rocksteady on this run, so in a way that makes the run look better. This time I'm gonna beat that dirty bastard Krang! 🧠

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...