IGNORED

Limited Run Games

15 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I would believe that were the case if both versions had existed from 2017 onward, but if this "different" version just so happened to come into being when Limited Run bought the rights to the game.... well that tells me all I really need to know:

"Hey guys, we like your game and want the rights for physical distribution, but we're kind of concerned about the content - anything we can do about that?"

Yeah, I'm sure it was totally the Japanese guys that wanted to make this "different" version, they just didn't know they wanted to make it until Limited Run came along.  Weird........

I don't think it's fair to assume LRG is being devious here. Currently there is definitely evidence that the developers wanted two different versions. As I said, they should release the NES and famicom version at the same time to avoid any misinterpretations, but I don't see any censorship here. Hopefully LRG and/or the developers make it clear exactly what happened and why.

23 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I don't think it's fair to assume LRG is being devious here. Currently there is definitely evidence that the developers wanted two different versions. As I said, they should release the NES and famicom version at the same time to avoid any misinterpretations, but I don't see any censorship here. Hopefully LRG and/or the developers make it clear exactly what happened and why.

Yeah, I don't know the full story, but the fact that the original deals with a sensitive issue (obesity) leads me to believe that it's pretty obviously the reason for going to all the trouble of re-programming the code for a game that was already completed five years ago.  You've got to remember that we're living in a post-George Floyd world and businesses are deathly afraid of offending anybody right now.  It's too bad too, because I would've bought a copy if it had actually been the original game.  Oh well; it is what it is...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I feel the same, I like these little famicom popups.  I have that kira kira star fx game for FC.  But when you start playing scared politics angles afraid of setting off someone looking to be offended, I'll lose interest.  There's artistic license, then there's just book burning level stupidity.

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You've got to remember that we're living in a post-George Floyd world and businesses are deathly afraid of offending anybody right now.

Let me get this straight. We know games have on occasion been censored since at least the Nes era. You guys are saying they changed the plot etc. about a fat girl losing weight. And this all happened because of George Floyd?

Super confused.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Californication said:

Let me get this straight. We know games have on occasion been censored since at least the Nes era. You guys are saying they changed the plot etc. about a fat girl losing weight. And this all happened because of George Floyd?

Super confused.

It is likely not just the Floyd situation but the perceived (however real it may or may not be) general unhappiness in some quarters with the previous status quo on any number of "issues" - such as the ever burgeoning case(s) of the alphabet folks (not meant as a perjorative but as a descriptive).

And look at the delay (yet again) of the release of the Advance Wars switch revamp because of the Ukraine situation - despite the fact that Advance Wars is so stylized it is really nothing more than a cartoon and that the series' first entry predates the Ukraine situation by three decades or so.  

You are likely too young to remember the whole controversy around Night Trap, Mortal Combat and (later Doom) wherein a whole host of social ills were blamed on the videogame industry.   It was quite the circus.

And sometimes a very small group of do gooders can influence things pretty severely.  Tipper Gore (former wife of Al Gore) leveraged her influence on Al to get Congress to install a rating system on the audio recording industry after she was offended by some lyrics on a Prince album that her daughter had purchased.  This resulted in a Senate hearing called the PMRC hearing wherein Frank Zappa pretty much made fools of the lot trying to foist this off - still occurred though.   (Not that that recording company executives were innocent - they went along with  this because of a backdoor deal where they didn't object too much and a tax was levied on the sale of blank recording media (which they thought would cut down on bootlegging of recordings).) 

Edited by Tabonga
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Tabonga said:

It is likely not just the Floyd situation but the perceived (however real it may or may not be) general unhappiness in some quarters with the previous status quo on any number of "issues" - such as the ever burgeoning case(s) of the alphabet folks (not meant as a perjorative but as a descriptive).

And look at the delay (yet again) of the release of the Advance Wars switch revamp because of the Ukraine situation - despite the fact that Advance Wars is so stylized it is really nothing more than a cartoon and that the series' first entry predates the Ukraine situation by three decades or so.  

You are likely too young to remember the whole controversy around Night Trap, Mortal Combat and (later Doom) wherein a whole host of social ills were blamed on the videogame industry.   It was quite the circus.

And sometimes a very small group of do gooders can influence things pretty severely.  Tipper Gore (former wife of Al Gore) leveraged her influence on Al to get Congress to install a rating system on the audio recording industry after she was offended by some lyrics on a Prince album that her daughter had purchased.  This resulted in a Senate hearing called the PMRC hearing wherein Frank Zappa pretty much made fools of the lot trying to foist this off - still occurred though.   (Not that that recording company executives were innocent - they went along with  this because of a backdoor deal where they didn't object too much and a tax was levied on the sale of blank recording media (which they thought would cut down on bootlegging of recordings).) 

Saying, "not just George Floyd" reinforces Dr.Morbis original statement that the event had some influence on this game. George Floyd was about cops murdering unarmed black people. As I understand it, this game is about a woman feeling she needs the be thin, there is no relationship.

Thank you for those examples, every one of them pre-dates Floyd. Honestly, most of this stuff is corporations trying to reach the largest audience or politicians looking for attention.

Conservative messaging is fake news. Cancel culture is a stupid catch phrase. Please keep that nonsense out of here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Californication said:

Saying, "not just George Floyd" reinforces Dr.Morbis original statement that the event had some influence on this game. George Floyd was about cops murdering unarmed black people. As I understand it, this game is about a woman feeling she needs the be thin, there is no relationship.

Thank you for those examples, every one of them pre-dates Floyd. Honestly, most of this stuff is corporations trying to reach the largest audience or politicians looking for attention.

Conservative messaging is fake news. Cancel culture is a stupid catch phrase. Please keep that nonsense out of here.

Culturally (and historically) things rarely happen in a vaccuum - so the Floyd incident dovetailed/dovetails with other events ongoing in the country - it was certainly not a stand alone incident.  If I understand what Morbis was saying it was that it was a reaction to the general state of affairs -while he specifically mentioned Floyd it is not a stretch for a discerning reader to extrapolate his words.

You are slightly mistaken - the Advance Wars delay post dates Floyd (by about as much as is possible) if I am reading my calendar correctly.  And the other two examples do indeed antedate Floyd - but given the lengthy history of video games (in comparison) this should hardly be surprising.

Please spare us histrionics - "conservative messaging is fake news" is itself a cheap catchphase.  I don't see where I used "cancel culture" in my post (which you quoted) - so you probably need to keep it out rather than I*

*IMHO this is why we can't have nice things in the forums - polite/rationale discussion seems to be a foreign concept at times.  Sometimes I feel like Romper Room is back.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Culturally (and historically) things rarely happen in a vaccuum - so the Floyd incident dovetailed/dovetails with other events ongoing in the country - it was certainly not a stand alone incident.  If I understand what Morbis was saying it was that it was a reaction to the general state of affairs -while he specifically m

Please spare us histrionics - "conservative messaging is fake news" is itself a cheap catchphase.  I don't see where I used "cancel culture" in my post (which you quoted) - so you probably need to keep it out rather than I*

*IMHO this is why we can't have nice things in the forums - polite/rationale discussion seems to be a foreign concept at times.  Sometimes I feel like Romper Room is back.

Not a single sentence in all of that makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Californication said:

Not a single sentence in all of that makes sense. 

Has English comprehension dropped drastically the last few years?  

Be that as it may I am pretty sure it likely resonated/will resonate with others here - who in all honesty were what that post was largely (but obviously not exclusively) aimed at in any event. 

Later gator!!!! 

Ad Hominem

An ad hominem fallacy uses personal attacks rather than logic. This fallacy occurs when someone rejects or criticizes another point of view based on the personal characteristics, ethnic background, physical appearance, or other non-relevant traits of the person who holds it.

Ad hominem arguments are often used in politics, where they are often called "mudslinging." They are considered unethical because politicians can use them to manipulate voters' opinions against an opponent without addressing core issues.

7 hours ago, Tabonga said:

This is the most well written post I've ever read on this forum, it's like I was transported to another planet when reading it. A planet where people know how puncutation and grammar work and there's an actual flow to the communication, well done. Also, this post and all of your subsequent posts make total sense to me, I'd have a debate with you any time.

• Thanks 1
  • Eyeroll 1

27 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Thanks - and I am always willing to debate something (even in a devil's advocate status) with people who know what debate means........

This is an LRG thread and you said you were leaving. If you changed your mind and want me to slowly point out why the things you're saying are ridiculous since your soft head doesn't understand, we can go to a political thread. 

4 minutes ago, Californication said:

This is an LRG thread and you said you were leaving. If you changed your mind and want me to slowly point out why the things you're saying are ridiculous since your soft head doesn't understand, we can go to a political thread. 

No - I merely said goodbye to you.  

Do I need to repeat my ad hominem post?

Later gator.

----------------

Back to the topic of the thread - my copy of Sam and Max Save the World is winging its way to me even as we converse.  (Oddly enough it was subjected to latter day bowdlerization also.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Back to the topic of the thread - my copy of Sam and Max Save the World is winging its way to me even as we converse.  (Oddly enough it was subjected to latter day bowdlerization also.)

Switch edition? I got mine some time ago, what a blast to play! Some people complained that they switched (no pun intended 🙂voice actors and slightly changed one or two lines of dialogue - as a fan of the original, I actually think the remastered edition is better!

7 hours ago, avatar! said:

Switch edition? I got mine some time ago, what a blast to play! Some people complained that they switched (no pun intended 🙂voice actors and slightly changed one or two lines of dialogue - as a fan of the original, I actually think the remastered edition is better!

I splurged and got the fancy switch edition - which is why (I suspect) it was delayed.  (The same thing happened when I ordered The Return of the Obra Dinn.)

I just wish when they changed stuff we would have the option of playing either version - not that hard I imagine since they have both on hand and I think the days are long gone where memory in games is a common problem.

Edited by Tabonga

On 3/28/2022 at 10:48 AM, Code Monkey said:

This is the most well written post I've ever read on this forum, it's like I was transported to another planet when reading it. A planet where people know how puncutation and grammar work and there's an actual flow to the communication, well done. Also, this post and all of your subsequent posts make total sense to me, I'd have a debate with you any time.

Season 11 Chef GIF by Masterchef