IGNORED

Limited Run Games

1 minute ago, MiamiSlice said:

I mean LRG and others are still releasing Vita games, and until recently, a smattering of Wii U and 3DS games, so there’s no precedent to assume LRG is done with PS4

That's what I'm saying.  I don't know where this "LRG is done with PS4" came from unless there was an announcement that I didn't see.  

2 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

I mean LRG and others are still releasing Vita games, and until recently, a smattering of Wii U and 3DS games, so there’s no precedent to assume LRG is done with PS4

Yeah but VITA is the latest in Playstation handhelds and if they've phased out Wii U and 3DS you're proving the point that PS4 is on the out not disproving it.

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

That's what I'm saying.  I don't know where this "LRG is done with PS4" came from unless there was an announcement that I didn't see.  

If you look at Pathless for example that is a new release on the PS4 and PS5, but it is only getting a physical release on the PS5. LRG didn't state any new policy, but things like this are the beginning of the transition.

Edited by Californication

4 minutes ago, cartman said:

Yeah but VITA is the latest in Playstation handhelds and if they've phased out Wii U and 3DS you're proving the point that PS4 is on the out not disproving it.

They aren't "phasing out" 3DS and Wii U.  The only made one Wii U game and only one 3DS game that I can think of.  They also made a few PS3 games, but I wouldn't say they are "phasing out" that system.  The end of Vita and PS4 will be the first time they've stopped making games for systems that had huge libraries of published games.  And keep in mind that they are only phasing out Vita because the manufacturing of the games has ended.  

2 minutes ago, Californication said:

If you look at Pathless for example that is a new release on the PS4 and PS5, but it is only getting a physical release on the PS5

One example isn't enough to show a trend.  They will certainly start offering less from PS4 as they move to PS5, but I will be extremely surprised if they quit immediately.  

3 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

One example isn't enough to show a trend.  They will certainly start offering less from PS4 as they move to PS5, but I will be extremely surprised if they quit immediately.  

I never said they were going to immediately quit.

I said if this is the new normal I won't be collecting LRG.

I was inferring because the release was only for Switch and PS5 I won't be purchasing. 

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Also newer games are being develop with the PS5 in mind, it's not necessarily a given that you can just port a PS5 game to the PS4, in fact it's unlikely.

As long as all future PS4 releases will play on PS5, it feels really dumb to release a game exclusively for the next-gen if it's potentially able to run completely fine on PS4.

It's purely marketing, and there's probably a lot of fine reasons for doing that (and as a dev it's definitely easier to target only the stronger platform), but don't tell yourself it benefits the consumer in any way. 🙂 

Edited by Sumez

15 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

They aren't "phasing out" 3DS and Wii U.  The only made one Wii U game and only one 3DS game that I can think of.  They also made a few PS3 games, but I wouldn't say they are "phasing out" that system.  The end of Vita and PS4 will be the first time they've stopped making games for systems that had huge libraries of published games.  And keep in mind that they are only phasing out Vita because the manufacturing of the games has ended.  

Also, I have a feeling this one is going to phase out differently than the 3ds, wii u, etc.

Since the PS5 is backwards compatable they are going to have trouble selling a full run on both consoles. They would probably be cannabalizing their own customers meaning a customer is more likely to choose one over the other instead of both. There is no value in buying bith because they both play on the PS5. If Shakedown MIami is released on the Switch, PS5, Wii U, you can argue that the customer can have a slightly different experience because the way the console functions, but that isn't the same between the PS4 and PS5. Not many people are going to buy the game for both consoles when there is no change in the experience.

This means the either/or question is going to become much more apparent on whether to print game on the PS4 or PS5.

Ya, there are completionists out there, but are there enough of them.

Think about it like this. If they make a small run of a mediocre game and have trouble selling 3,000. What are their options? They aren't going to do to full 3,000 runs. They will have to worry about excess inventory. Lets say they make 1,000 (the minimum) PS4 and 2,000 PS5. Next someone over there is going to say, well it costs us x amount of dollars to do an additional run of games as opposed to on one console, we have to worry about holding back stock for damaged goods, changing over the machines for printing different inserts, etc. It's not worth the head ache of trying to run on both consoles. But we will see. Like I said, they're not doing anything wrong, it's just the circumstances. If you ask me, their position was better before the PS5 released from a bus./management standpoint.

If they start dropping PS4 runs down to 1,000 or 1,500, I don't think they will have any trouble selling them all.  Regardless, I think you are underestimating the number of people like you and I who won't be buying a PS5 right away.  There will still be a lot of people looking for PS4 games for the foreseeable future. 

39 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

If they start dropping PS4 runs down to 1,000 or 1,500, I don't think they will have any trouble selling them all.  Regardless, I think you are underestimating the number of people like you and I who won't be buying a PS5 right away.  There will still be a lot of people looking for PS4 games for the foreseeable future. 

Agreed. I think the PS4 has a wider base and if it was me I would publish PS4 over PS5. For the games that aren't Celeste, Bloodstained, Messenger, etc. they will be coming to that either/or decision faster than you think. I don't know what the additional cost are of an extra run, (additional photos, web page set-up, accounting for the monies) but there are additional expenses and it is time consuming. 

The only thing I could see that would help them is if the PS5 was slow in pushing out games and they were able to gain new customers instead of what I am expecting that the current majority of their base will choose to purchase either on the PS4/PS5. But I don't see that as likely because if a game has enough people that want it, the publisher should go for a full release instead of a limited. 

On 10/24/2020 at 11:27 PM, Tanooki said:

Speaking of outstanding orders, everything of mine basically is with just a vague Q4 2020 on it.  Now Doom gets a pass it is still open, and Shantae GBC is recent too.  Blaster Master 0 1+2, Panzer Dragoon, Grandia, they're just well taking a long vacation.  So far with them my only experience first hand is Streets of Rage 4, not sure what I'm to think about delays as it seems kind of irresponsible in how it's handled reading many peoples comments beyond these walls too.

This is why I stopped buying from LRG. I got tired of buying things from them and waiting months for it. It’s like having a friend who you lend money to  constantly who keeps promising to pay you back later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Strangest said:

This is why I stopped buying from LRG. I got tired of buying things from them and waiting months for it. It’s like having a friend who you lend money to  constantly who keeps promising to pay you back later.

I can understand the frustration. I have an order from them that is now more than 6 months! Still, I respect what they do and without them so many games would never have a physical release, so I will continue to support them and just try to be patient 🙂

I agree with strangest too, but that said, it's like there's kind of no choice and that's what really sucks.  You either buy from them, or you get a rental. End of story.

If you believe in ownership and control over what you pay for, it's LRG or no game at all with various releases.  It's aggravating and depressing tolerating these long quiet waits but that's the only choice other than no choice at all.

Tell me about it lol. I'm very patient so it works for me. I just always ended up being surprised in the mail at what is coming in next. It's not so bad and they do try their best to get them out on time. The only one that took a really long time was the Mall Brawl.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 8.45.14 PM.png

• Wow! 1
  • Sad 2

unless i'm mistaken, LRG usually tells you the lead time for when you can expect the game. At least, they have in the few games i've purchased from them. i don't mind the wait if i know it up front. Now, if i purchased a game expecting it next week, and it turned into six months, i would be none too happy about it. 

On 10/29/2020 at 7:41 AM, Californication said:

Ya, there are completionists out there, but are there enough of them.

Think about it like this. If they make a small run of a mediocre game and have trouble selling 3,000. What are their options? They aren't going to do to full 3,000 runs. They will have to worry about excess inventory. Lets say they make 1,000 (the minimum) PS4 and 2,000 PS5. Next someone over there is going to say, well it costs us x amount of dollars to do an additional run of games as opposed to on one console, we have to worry about holding back stock for damaged goods, changing over the machines for printing different inserts, etc. It's not worth the head ache of trying to run on both consoles. But we will see. Like I said, they're not doing anything wrong, it's just the circumstances. If you ask me, their position was better before the PS5 released from a bus./management standpoint.

Just going to throw out there, that LR has been sliding away from PS4 titles for a long while. When Switch hit, the buyers heavily flooded to that from the PS4 buying and PS4 games that have had fixed releases from LRG have almost all been at 1,500-2,000 copies (that's even factoring in CE's if one gets it now) for quite a while. Very few get open pre-orders and a few have somewhat higher counts, likely due to older contracts or because they'll actually move a bit better (Metal Slug, Fatal Fury of the more recent releases) but otherwise they've focused on CE bundles and Switch because that's where the money is now.  PS4 don't pay the bills like it used to.

Some of that is title fatigue no question (The most recent PS4 release, Demon's Tier+ is LRG #373, and since that numbering is shared between Vita and PS4, that means LRG has published ~272 PS4 titles so far), some is the titles that are releasing just not being sales drivers (and they've admitted that there were a few times where they oversigned and brought titles out they probably should have taken second looks on) and some is just additional competition from others like Special Reserve, IAm8Bit and the other small party publishers dropping other titles.  A collectors dollars only go so far and the market is saturated now.

Most of LRG's wait times are tied back to switch production restraints at this point, but everything has been drawn out due to the pandemic in general. They run a full month to maximize pre-order sales if they're open orders, then those are submitted and those take ~2-3 months to get made and shipped back if no hiccups occur. Factor in if you've combined other things into that order that aren't done yet, the the orders sit still they are.  Their shipping is slower now too because they're not allowing as many people to work in the space to help keep safe distancing in the shipping warehouse.

I've had a year+ wait for Skullgirls and a bunch of other stuff take a LONG time to get fulfilled and other stuff that's been announced and delays or whatever hold it back for just as long (Atooi Collection, Papers Please, Super Meat Boy) and have an in processing order list similar to Skorp's there. I'm well at the point of I'll see it when I do. It all just sits on the shelf as is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

My rewards items came in the mail this weekend.  Unfortunately, they ended the program before I could get enough tickets for a free game, so I ended up with a soundtrack and some cards.  

November 2020 Pickups 1.jpg

Nice. It took them about a month to process my tickets for some reason and I just got first movement on mine late last week, so I should see the stuff I ordered by the end of the week if I"m lucky.

Sadly, they killed the free game via tickets option a while back. I would have been able to cash in on 4 or 5 but lost out because I just didn't track the changes to the old ticket systems enough. Oh well, lots of trading cards coming my way instead.

Does anyone know why Panzer Dragoon is still delayed?  I know LRG sent out an email stating they were going to hold off production to get the rom version 1.3 because it had MANY QOL improvements.  That's cool, but supposedly it was suppose to ship around mid-October.  I also ordered realMyst with it, so I've yet to get that one.  That was in March.

I know they can take a while, but have they posted anything recently on Twitter, Facebook or somewhere else? I only get there emails and don't use social media.