IGNORED

Limited Run Games

16 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

There is definitely NOT a general consensus on that.  This is where I would normally say "See Nintendo Age debates," but unfortunately there isn't much to see there anymore.  But that doesn't change the fact that there hasn't been nor will there ever be a general consensus on that.  

It always seemed like it was. Whenever someone mentioned completing their "set" it was always the licensed games. There were always threads people made announcing they have completed the set, and everyone giving their congrats or talking about what their last game was, etc. There wasn't a litany of people popping into those threads to protest the definition of a set. Sure I remember a handful of people debating it, but general consensus doesn't mean every single person agreed, just MOST did. It certainly seemed like MOST people were fairly agreed upon it, at least back then. 

Even barring that debate, it makes sense to seperate games into some kind of categories. People need milestones to strive for. I never understood why the few people I saw argue about the definitions of a set cared so much.

18 hours ago, Sir Centroid said:

Just felt like addressing this. Even among only the GBC game library, Shantae is not "Very rare", it's uncommon at best. Cart only or CIB, it doesn't even come close to comparing to a fair portion of the GBC games in terms of "rarity". 

Sounds like the Earthbound of the GBC

On 10/12/2020 at 2:03 PM, avatar! said:

I think it depends on what you mean by "set". As TDIRunner pointed out, there is a grey line -  that is where do you draw the line between market and after market? Ultimately, the fact is that games are still being made for the NES - and I personally think it's super exciting. If you want a "complete set" in my opinion you'll need to purchase these so-called "after market" games. In my opinion Homebrews absolutely count as official releases, same for licensed games such as Holy Diver. 

I agree that there is a lot of gray area, but I think counting all homebrews as official releases and part of a set is crazy. I bet a lot of kids drew their own X-Men comics but those "super rare 1 of 1 issues" aren't needed for a set.

Administrator · Posted

Yeah no way should homebrews count for a "full set". 

That would be like saying that in order to have a complete star wars figure collection you need to own the Gi Joe I made custom clothes for to look like Luke. Or to have a full Batman comic book collection you need to own the fan comic I made and printed 20 copies of. 

• Like 1

I certainly wouldn't argue that homebrews count towards a licensed set, but my arguments have been about the rerelease of Shantae which is definitely not a homebrew.  As far as I'm concerned, the LRG release of Shantae is no different than the Square Enix PS1 games that were sold on their website up until very recently.  They are just very late print runs of licensed games.  They are arguably less desirable then the original print runs, and will almost certainly be worth less money down the road, but they are still just variants of the original print runs.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I certainly wouldn't argue that homebrews count towards a licensed set, but my arguments have been about the rerelease of Shantae which is definitely not a homebrew.  As far as I'm concerned, the LRG release of Shantae is no different than the Square Enix PS1 games that were sold on their website up until very recently.  They are just very late print runs of licensed games.  They are arguably less desirable then the original print runs, and will almost certainly be worth less money down the road, but they are still just variants of the original print runs.  

That's a tough sell for me........... that would be saying all those iam8bit releases would be as well. The thing for me its a combination of who originally manufactured the game or did they have a license from the console manufacturer.  I think they are cool collectibles but the fun thing about this hobby we all can make our own rules 🙂 

1 minute ago, Mr. CIB said:

That's a tough sell for me........... that would be saying all those iam8bit releases would be as well. The thing for me its a combination of who originally manufactured the game or did they have a license from the console manufacturer.  I think they are cool collectibles but the fun thing about this hobby we all can make our own rules 🙂 

I had asked about those earlier, but I never got an answer.  Are those the ones that are not supposed to be played on original hardware or was that another company?  If it doesn't work on original hardware, then I certainly wouldn't count it.  I have not seen anything from LRG saying you should avoid playing the game on original hardware.  

When people say licensed set, they always mean the publisher, not just that it's not bootleg. Without the Nintendo SOQ, LRG/iam8bit sure isn't licensed just because it's approved by the developers. But I don't think anyone on planet Earth will collect the entire GBC set then top it off with the LRG release of Shantae instead of the original.

And I'm all in on aftermarket stuff, I think Neodelphino's Freecell "counts" just as much as Myriad 6-in-1 when you look at unlicensed games, but for the licensed "set" I would only consider the licensed version of a game.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I had asked about those earlier, but I never got an answer.  Are those the ones that are not supposed to be played on original hardware or was that another company?  If it doesn't work on original hardware, then I certainly wouldn't count it.  I have not seen anything from LRG saying you should avoid playing the game on original hardware.  

They all work on the original hardware. 

5 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

When people say licensed set, they always mean the publisher, not just that it's not bootleg. Without the Nintendo SOQ, LRG/iam8bit sure isn't licensed just because it's approved by the developers. But I don't think anyone on planet Earth will collect the entire GBC set then top it off with the LRG release of Shantae instead of the original.

And I'm all in on aftermarket stuff, I think Neodelphino's Freecell "counts" just as much as Myriad 6-in-1 when you look at unlicensed games, but for the licensed "set" I would only consider the licensed version of a game.

Licensed game means that the intellectual property (the game), is officially under contract (licensed) by whomever owns the rights to the game. Whether Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, etc approve of it and add their "seal" has nothing to do with it being licensed. As an example, go to iam8bit and you can see how they correctly note that their SNES games are indeed licensed

"They are fully licensed reproductions of the original games, brand new and assembled by hand "

https://www.iam8bit.com/pages/game-cart-faqs

You could argue that games produced after the "lifetime" of the NES, SNES, etc. that do not have Nintendo's/Sega's/etc. approval are a separate category of games, but assuming they're not bootlegs they are definitely licensed. 

Looks like LRG has announced their first PS5 game

Although, I am unsure of whether the physical release is a LRG exclusive

I don't believe so, although LRG notes that their game comes with 

• Agent 47’s Passport (LRG Exclusive)

So I don't know? Oh, and it's $79.99 😮 

PS5_Hitman3.png

10 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Licensed game means that the intellectual property (the game), is officially under contract (licensed) by whomever owns the rights to the game. Whether Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, etc approve of it and add their "seal" has nothing to do with it being licensed. As an example, go to iam8bit and you can see how they correctly note that their SNES games are indeed licensed

Then any game that's not bootleg/illegal is licensed. Is every homebrew InfiniteNESLives has a legal license to produce part of the licensed NES set? What's different about the unlicensed NES set and the licensed NES set? Tengen has a license from Sega to port NES Shinobi, but no license from Nintendo to make NES games under their authoritarian regime, which is why it's in the unlicensed set.

Edited by DefaultGen

10 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Looks like LRG has announced their first PS5 game

Although, I am unsure of whether the physical release is a LRG exclusive

I don't believe so, although LRG notes that their game comes with 

• Agent 47’s Passport (LRG Exclusive)

So I don't know? Oh, and it's $79.99 😮 

Yeah, I'll probably pass on this one, but I would be willing to bet that I will own several PS5 games from LRG before I actually own a PS5.  I owned probably close to 30 PS4 games before I got around to getting the actual system.  

6 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Then any game that's not bootleg/illegal is licensed. Is every homebrew InfiniteNESLives has a legal license to produce part of the licensed NES set? What's different about the unlicensed NES set and the licensed NES set? Tengen has a license from Sega to port NES Shinobi, but no license from Nintendo to make NES games under their authoritarian regime, which is why it's in the unlicensed set.

Correct! basically any game that is not bootleg and is authorized by the owner of the code/material is indeed licensed by definition. With regards to Tengen, they attempted co circumvent Nintendo because Nintendo had a lock-out chip which they used to manipulate the market and make sure only games they wanted (could get $$$ from) were allowed. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIC_(Nintendo)

I know many people refer to the 715 (I think that's the number) of NES games licensed by Nintendo during the accepted lifetime of the system. All that said, it doesn't change the fact that companies such as iam8bit are still releasing officially licensed games, although they are not licensed by Nintendo.  

8 hours ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

I agree that there is a lot of gray area, but I think counting all homebrews as official releases and part of a set is crazy. I bet a lot of kids drew their own X-Men comics but those "super rare 1 of 1 issues" aren't needed for a set.

If you're collecting a full set of X-Men comics, then yes, it is required.

That's the problem, people try and assign a limited definition to a broad term. A full set is literally an entire set of everything that ever existed, there is no way anyone could ever possibly collect that .However, people try and assign some smaller subset to have this definition which is just weird and false. Since everyone assigns a different definition to "full set," there's no way to agree if a game should belong because you all have different definitions.

All you can really do is look at the literal words of "full set" and look at what the actual words themselves mean. "Full" and "Set" put together is literally everything from the history of time.

If you ever want to stop arguing about this, then stop being lazy and using the proper terms.

Full Set = everything

Full Nintendo set = every game ever released from Nintendo as a company

Full Nintendo NES set = every game released by Nintendo specifically for the NES

Full NES set = all NES games released by every manufacturer with no time limit. If it exists, it's included, don't try and cry your way out of literal definitions.

Full Nintendo NES Licensed Retail Set = all Nintendo released games specifically for the NES, released at retail. This is the set I am going for, as this doesn't include the 1 of 1 Nintendo Campus Challenge which is technically part of the licensed set because it is a licensed Nintendo NES game.

So unless you specify which sub-set you're going for, you'll never know if a certain game belongs. If you want to be more specific about your particular collecting goal, then be more specific when you refer to it.

And when you talk about licensed games, software contains multiple different licenses from various copyrights. The company iam8bit obtains a legal license from Capcom for their releases but not from Nintendo, so these are technically licensed but not Nintendo licensed.

• Like 1

I'm not a mod or anything but I'd love to see all these "what makes a complete set?" posts in a separate thread because they're really interesting to get everyone's views and it will eventually be lost in a thread about Limited Run Switch games haha.

@Gloves is it possible to move posts from a thread to a new one?

Edited by Shmup
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I'm not a mod or anything but I'd love to see all these "what makes a complete set?" posts in a separate thread because they're really interesting to get everyone's views and it will eventually be lost in a thread about Limited Run Switch games haha.

Done!

I created a new thread

and included Code Monkey's reply (which was the last reply to the "complete set" discussion). So, let's close that discussion on this thread and return back to limited editions as requested 🙂 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
17 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Mmmmm it's pooooossible... but it'd take a bit of effort.

Why Do I Have To?: Rothenberg, B. Annye: 9780979042010: Books - Amazon.ca

• Haha 1

That's interesting. Apparently

This is the original PlayStation 2 Classic, re-released physically on the PlayStation 4 for the first time ever. This is not the 2020 remake.

Which begs the question - which is better, the remake or PS2 original? Anyone play both? Also, I wonder if PS2 games are becoming collectible similar to PS1 games? And, will LRG start releasing more PS2 and PS1 games?

DAH_PS4.png

Edited by avatar!

34 minutes ago, avatar! said:

That's interesting. Apparently

This is the original PlayStation 2 Classic, re-released physically on the PlayStation 4 for the first time ever. This is not the 2020 remake.

Which begs the question - which is better, the remake or PS2 original? Anyone play both? Also, I wonder if PS2 games are becoming collectible similar to PS1 games? And, will LRG start releasing more PS2 and PS1 games?

DAH_PS4.png

This is actually a pretty fun game for the PS2 and is super cheap (or was when I got it, haven't looked at prices these days). PS2 is getting some interest from collectors these days and I'm sure this LRG release will probably get more interest in the system.

I don't know if I'm just having a crazy theory, but I actually look at Sony collecting like car collecting. So you have all the old people that grew up on the classics like Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet, like the NES/SNES guys and now the younger generation are more interested in Sony because they grew up with the PS1/2 just like 20 somethings are interested in the Japanese cars of the late 80's and 90's. Just a crazy theory though haha.