IGNORED

Limited Run Games

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Look at the prices for Godhand, Skygunner, Haunting Ground, and so forth

Those have always been "rare" and "expensive" as far as I know. Especially Haunting Ground and Rule of Rose. But I wonder if others will/are getting more collectible? 

Screenshot from 2020-10-15 21-00-59.png

Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Those have always been "rare" and "expensive" as far as I know. Especially Haunting Ground and Rule of Rose. But I wonder if others will/are getting more collectible? 

Screenshot from 2020-10-15 21-00-59.png

Skygunner and God Hand were $30 or less just a few years ago.  PS2 definitely jumped during COVID.

Screenshot_20201015-190413.png

On 10/13/2020 at 9:35 AM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

It always seemed like it was. Whenever someone mentioned completing their "set" it was always the licensed games. There were always threads people made announcing they have completed the set, and everyone giving their congrats or talking about what their last game was, etc. There wasn't a litany of people popping into those threads to protest the definition of a set. Sure I remember a handful of people debating it, but general consensus doesn't mean every single person agreed, just MOST did. It certainly seemed like MOST people were fairly agreed upon it, at least back then. 

Even barring that debate, it makes sense to seperate games into some kind of categories. People need milestones to strive for. I never understood why the few people I saw argue about the definitions of a set cared so much.

Both definitions are correct. It’s just a problem of clarifying who is licensing the game. When NES was active Nintendo was granting publishers licenses as permission to make games for their proprietary hardware platform. Licensed “for use on the platform.”

Today the IP holders are giving publishers licenses as permission for the use of their creative intellectual property.  Licensed “to use Intellectual property”

They are both valid licenses, but your talking apples to oranges.

5 hours ago, phart010 said:

Both definitions are correct. It’s just a problem of clarifying who is licensing the game. When NES was active Nintendo was granting publishers licenses as permission to make games for their proprietary hardware platform. Licensed “for use on the platform.”

Today the IP holders are giving publishers licenses as permission for the use of their creative intellectual property.  Licensed “to use Intellectual property”

They are both valid licenses, but your talking apples to oranges.

Please NO MORE comments about sets in the LRG thread. There is a new thread for this discussion

Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Do LRG-distributed games like Gris or Metal Storm count for the LRG set even though they’re not numbered!

They do not count as "official" LRG games. In these cases LRG just helps distribute the games. I think it's the same thing for the PS5 Hitman game.

23 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Do LRG-distributed games like Gris or Metal Storm count for the LRG set even though they’re not numbered!

Just to follow on from Avatar’s post. This is what LRG puts on the non numbered listing:

“This release is not a part of the Limited Run Games Collection and is not a numbered release. We are distributing this title on behalf of 3D Realms. Missing out on this release will not compromise a complete Limited Run set.”

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

Just to follow on from Avatar’s post. This is what LRG puts on the non numbered listing:

“This release is not a part of the Limited Run Games Collection and is not a numbered release. We are distributing this title on behalf of 3D Realms. Missing out on this release will not compromise a complete Limited Run set.”

That’s just what they want you to think. Also are there really people with full sets, yowza.

8 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

That’s just what they want you to think. Also are there really people with full sets, yowza.

Yeah, you see some crazy shit on Facebook.  There are lots of people that have bought every single thing from them.  There is one guy in particular that has bought several full shipping boxes of LRG Switch titles.  

On 10/15/2020 at 7:38 PM, Code Monkey said:

If you're collecting a full set of X-Men comics, then yes, it is required.

That's the problem, people try and assign a limited definition to a broad term. A full set is literally an entire set of everything that ever existed, there is no way anyone could ever possibly collect that .However, people try and assign some smaller subset to have this definition which is just weird and false. Since everyone assigns a different definition to "full set," there's no way to agree if a game should belong because you all have different definitions.

All you can really do is look at the literal words of "full set" and look at what the actual words themselves mean. "Full" and "Set" put together is literally everything from the history of time.

If you ever want to stop arguing about this, then stop being lazy and using the proper terms.

Full Set = everything

Full Nintendo set = every game ever released from Nintendo as a company

Full Nintendo NES set = every game released by Nintendo specifically for the NES

Full NES set = all NES games released by every manufacturer with no time limit. If it exists, it's included, don't try and cry your way out of literal definitions.

Full Nintendo NES Licensed Retail Set = all Nintendo released games specifically for the NES, released at retail. This is the set I am going for, as this doesn't include the 1 of 1 Nintendo Campus Challenge which is technically part of the licensed set because it is a licensed Nintendo NES game.

So unless you specify which sub-set you're going for, you'll never know if a certain game belongs. If you want to be more specific about your particular collecting goal, then be more specific when you refer to it.

And when you talk about licensed games, software contains multiple different licenses from various copyrights. The company iam8bit obtains a legal license from Capcom for their releases but not from Nintendo, so these are technically licensed but not Nintendo licensed.

Wow someone actually bit and said the comic I drew when I was 12 is truly required for a full X-Men set. Ridiculous.

1 hour ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

Wow someone actually bit and said the comic I drew when I was 12 is truly required for a full X-Men set. Ridiculous.

I'm sure they misread what you said, and at any rate PLEASE STOP POSTING ABOUT THIS HERE!!

People are getting tired of this talk on this thread, and you're welcome to debate this to your heart's content here

6 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Yeah, you see some crazy shit on Facebook.  There are lots of people that have bought every single thing from them.  There is one guy in particular that has bought several full shipping boxes of LRG Switch titles.  

This got me wondering how much it would have cost to get every LRG for all systems and the CE. 

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

This got me wondering how much it would have cost to get every LRG for all systems and the CE. 

Very quickly I estimated they released around 500 games - but they released a bunch of variants (limited/collector editions) too. So I would say double that, 1000 games is a reasonable rough estimate. Let's say about $40 each, so about $40,000. Again, very rough estimate, but seems reasonable. 

• Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, avatar! said:

Very quickly I estimated they released around 500 games - but they released a bunch of variants (limited/collector editions) too. So I would say double that, 1000 games is a reasonable rough estimate. Let's say about $40 each, so about $40,000. Again, very rough estimate, but seems reasonable. 

🤮

48 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I don’t think you would be far. That is crazy a number when you see it laid out.

I've been pretty good about not ordering to many limited print games lately. My only outstanding orders are for PS4 are: Master Blaster Zero & 2, Ikaruga, Darius Cozmic Arcade Collection, Guns Gore and Canolli 1 & 2 Collectors and MetaGal (which I'm going to try and cancel). 

(I didn't even order the Turrican's, Aleste Collection, My Friend Pedro, or Mother Russia Bleeds although they all look respectable.)

That being said I think I am going to have to put in a big order of Doom 64, Ion Fury, and Mummy Demastered from LRG. Then Bubble Bobble 4 from Strictly Limited. 

They really know how to take my money 

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1