IGNORED

Limited Run Games

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tabonga said:

The game has been out for one and a half year, so I'm sure there should be resources out there telling you whether it is.

That fact that I've never seen anyone mentioning this game before is the primary thing holding me back from a purchase. And I guess also the generic indie game description of "an action-adventure roguelike that blends combat and dungeon crawling with rpg-like progression. Mine gold, die, upgrade yourself, and try again"

23 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Might have been timed exclusives. I would just assume anything any of these companies produce can be printed by someone else later

22 minutes ago, 360collector said:

Might have been timed exclusives. I would just assume anything any of these companies produce can be printed by someone else later

Its the thing that the company claimed to have exclusive rights to the games they made (except for Human Fall Flat because an employee or something was involved in making the game). This was a very early game that should’ve been under that exclusive rights. Now either they lied that they had exclusive rights or purposely omitted that they were timed. In order to (my guess) drive up fomo buying. Which is scummy to say the least  

9 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Its the thing that the company claimed to have exclusive rights to the games they made (except for Human Fall Flat because an employee or something was involved in making the game). This was a very early game that should’ve been under that exclusive rights. Now either they lied that they had exclusive rights or purposely omitted that they were timed. In order to (my guess) drive up fomo buying. Which is scummy to say the least  

A third possibility could be they got some money and limited run got the tights to do a printrun

19 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

A new article about LRG for those interested. Its a long one

https://seafoamgaming.com/2022/08/10/limited-runs-quality-control-continues-to-rapidly-crash/

Hot take on this... first, I see the problems he's outlined, they are myriad and it can definitely be said  that LRG could do better.

That said, I feel like much of this is over blown.  I mean, the issues with the CEs are the biggest ones.  I read most of the article, but not all of it (again, it's looooong) so unless he ended with a whopper, I just feel like the way he builds this up, you'd think LRG is the worst company in the world.  But, from his own facts he states, this is my opinion.

LRG is run by gaming enthusiasts who've had great success but are not great at running a business.  COVIDs happened and screwed up the supply chain and that've (likely) made a lot of choices to both deliver their promised goods, while probably managing shorter-than-expected staff plus supply chain issues have been difficult.  PR isn't great because, again, the owners aren't business professionals.

I don't know, my opinion may also be tainted because due to the very nature of the LRG business model, and considering the past few years, I just expect to order something and I know I'm going to wait a long time for anything to arrive.  So long as they deliver, I'm fine.  I also only buy standard edition stuff and not LEs/CEs, so I would probably be more agitated if I felt baited-and-switched.  Regardless, I feel like this simply "isn't good" and the author of the article is just blowing issues out of proportion. But, I can admit if that's short sighted.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RH said:

Hot take on this... first, I see the problems he's outlined, they are myriad and it can definitely be said  that LRG could do better.

That said, I feel like much of this is over blown.  I mean, the issues with the CEs are the biggest ones.  I read most of the article, but not all of it (again, it's looooong) so unless he ended with a whopper, I just feel like the way he builds this up, you'd think LRG is the worst company in the world.  But, from his own facts he states, this is my opinion.

LRG is run by gaming enthusiasts who've had great success but are not great at running a business.  COVIDs happened and screwed up the supply chain and that've (likely) made a lot of choices to both deliver their promised goods, while probably managing shorter-than-expected staff plus supply chain issues have been difficult.  PR isn't great because, again, the owners aren't business professionals.

I don't know, my opinion may also be tainted because due to the very nature of the LRG business model, and considering the past few years, I just expect to order something and I know I'm going to wait a long time for anything to arrive.  So long as they deliver, I'm fine.  I also only buy standard edition stuff and not LEs/CEs, so I would probably be more agitated if I felt baited-and-switched.  Regardless, I feel like this simply "isn't good" and the author of the article is just blowing issues out of proportion. But, I can admit if that's short sighted.

like you, i read the majority of the article. Also like you, i thought his complaints, while valid, were fairly minor and not worth the words. Unlike you, who worded it much better than me, i almost posted "this guy sounds like a whiner" but deleted it because i couldn't articulate better. thank you.

My favorite part is when he was talking about some issue with one of the CE releases and said something to the affect of 'you would have to open the box to even know if you have an issue'. Now, i know that SO many of the LRG style releases are to collectors and will remain sealed, but i just LOL'd at the idea that it was ridiculous that somebody would have to actually *gasp* open the video game they bought.

once he got into all the twitter stuff at the end i bounced. He just seems like he has a super inflated sense of ego and importance. more power to him, but i just can't be arsed to care.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, twiztor said:

My favorite part is when he was talking about some issue with one of the CE releases and said something to the affect of 'you would have to open the box to even know if you have an issue'. Now, i know that SO many of the LRG style releases are to collectors and will remain sealed, but i just LOL'd at the idea that it was ridiculous that somebody would have to actually *gasp* open the video game they bought.

once he got into all the twitter stuff at the end i bounced. He just seems like he has a super inflated sense of ego and importance. more power to him, but i just can't be arsed to care.

Ditto to both of the above highlighted points.  I chuckled at that too about opening a game.  I mean, get it.  We all collect for different reasons and there's no shame in my book that some people want to keep an item sealed.  That said, I think the default mindset for LRG and other LE/CE makers is to make this stuff for the people who'd, you know, actually want to crack open these items so they can touch the feelies.

And the twitters stuff. I basically read the first story and just gave a minor eyeroll and moved on.  Sure, that wasn't professional but it also wasn't offensive.  Just a bit immature and seemed like a big misunderstanding between to leaders of two companies.

• Like 1

I've never quite got the allure of that game other than it being a very small print run, therefore legit rare compared to most 'rare'(priced) stuff and because of the maker having that Turrican thing under his belt.  I've tried it a few times, but I couldn't even see buying the loose cart. 🙂

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Regarding the quality of the LRG Collector's Editions, I think those have always been pretty shitty? Or maybe it's just the few I've bought I have been unlucky with.

It just depends on the edition IMHO - many of them aren't worth the money but some are pretty nice (according to one's tastes of course) - the Sam and Max editions, Brigandine, Dark Crystal Tactics, the Return of the Obra Din and (especially) Thimbleweed Park are some good examples of nice ones.  Zombies Ate My Neighbors looks great too - although it hasn't shipped yet (it is finally lurking in their warehouse though). 

They're largely garbage, but a few may have a specific item that ends up being repeatedly useful to have actual value vs some more garbage on the shelf to never look at or touch again.  I got the mid-tier for Castlevania because the audio CD was totally worth it for me, and then the NGPC one because Jeremy Parish wrote an entire NGPC (and related to those games MVS games) 'Works' book like his others for it, otherwise that was useless too.  Largely it's just collectard fomo fluff of janky questionable value meant to sucker in the deeply richer nutty collectors or those investors banking on it being worth serious money for someone who missed the boat.

On 8/13/2022 at 6:19 AM, Sumez said:

Yeah, same. Rendering Ranger is interesting due to how elusive it is, but it's not a good game.

Regarding the quality of the LRG Collector's Editions, I think those have always been pretty shitty? Or maybe it's just the few I've bought I have been unlucky with.

I feel like the CEs are only worth it if it's your favorite game. That's the only way I'd pay a premium for stickers and CDs. The Castlevania Collection CE is a good example.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I feel like the CEs are only worth it if it's your favorite game.

I'm thinking about the quality and general feel of value for money.

It doesn't matter if it's my favourite game, if the "premium" version is just some flimsy cardboard with a partial soundtrack cd with 5 tracks and some stickers they were gonna give away for free anyway, I don't think that's really doing a great job celebrating it. 🙂 

Sure, most of the junk you get in CEs is usually useless crap either way, but I've bought many of them where you really felt like it was something special still. The one Fangamer made for Undertale is incredible, and so is the one for the launch PS4 version of Dragon Quest XI.

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm thinking about the quality and general feel of value for money.

It doesn't matter if it's my favourite game, if the "premium" version is just some flimsy cardboard with a partial soundtrack cd with 5 tracks and some stickers they were gonna give away for free anyway, I don't think that's really doing a great job celebrating it. 🙂 

Sure, most of the junk you get in CEs is usually useless crap either way, but I've bought many of them where you really felt like it was something special still. The one Fangamer made for Deltarune is incredible, and so is the one for the launch PS4 version of Dragon Quest XI.

Fangamer CE’s are really good yep. LRG’s are all over the place. Some are good. I liked the Scott Pilgrim one. Some are cheap feeling and pointless like the Jumanji one. Nintendo’s CEs are good. Capcom’s CEs are terrible. The flimsiest possible cardboard. 

9 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I feel like the CEs are only worth it if it's your favorite game. That's the only way I'd pay a premium for stickers and CDs. The Castlevania Collection CE is a good example.

Great point, LRGs one for TMNT was crap so I didn't bother.  When I do in time buy it, play-asia has the right one and stunningly for no added charge either you get the soundtrack and a nice fold out diorama to put on shelf. (Switch release)