IGNORED

Limited Run Games

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I do think you're intentionally trying to misread my intent.

Not at all, I responded to exactly what you wrote, since it confused me. 🙂
Though I assumed that by "pattern memorization" you meant pattern recognition, since the former doesn't really describe those games well.

I guess then we can agree that pattern recognition refers to knowing and being able to properly react to familiar patterns when you see them, while memorization refers to relying on knowing what you are going to face ahead of time in order to survive?

I love most of the games you mentioned, so I think you have a solid taste. But while they aren't the worst memorizers out there, at least Gradius and Parodius, and to some extent even Blazing Star definitely rely a lot more on memorization than Espgaluda 2 or Dodonpachi DFK ever do. Typically one of the things that set bullethell shooters apart from especially older horizontal shooters is how little they rely on memorization, unless you are getting into high level scoring tricks. Typically the biggest fans of Cave games tend to absolutely hate memorization-heavy shooters.
They are still a unique approach to the genre as many other are, but I can't agree on any kind of "extremes" being the defining factor, unless you are going into oddball crazy challenges like Futari Ultra or DOJ Death Label.

Yup that's it.  A game like those LRG has coming up or even Ikaruga and those types, etc they require you to memorize the pattern in advance or you're dead.  It's like a shooter version of Dragon's Lair and other laserdisc games.  You need to remember every single move on every single stage of that FMV game or you die, and not just memorize but have the split second timing(nearly) to fire off that full memorization of each stage or you die.   That's why I can't stand those types of shooters...not the speed, the memorization.  I can't remember that stuff, never have been able to, many people really can't so it's not a unique thing.

I've really never found I had to memorize stuff in the Gradius/Parodius games.  You have choices in your load out of the ships, and while it's on rails by stage you can go high, go low, go around here or there a bit differently as there's breathing room on them, even at higher difficulties.  I don't really think much of bullethell on the horizontal axis, largely always related to them as the vertical type, maybe they're just more pronounced that way.

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yup that's it.  A game like those LRG has coming up or even Ikaruga and those types, etc they require you to memorize the pattern in advance or you're dead.  It's like a shooter version of Dragon's Lair and other laserdisc games.  You need to remember every single move on every single stage of that FMV game or you die, and not just memorize but have the split second timing(nearly) to fire off that full memorization of each stage or you die.   That's why I can't stand those types of shooters...not the speed, the memorization.  I can't remember that stuff, never have been able to, many people really can't so it's not a unique thing.

I'm sorry but based on this statement it's blatantly obvious you have never tried either of those games, because you are describing the opposite of what they are like 😄

Give them a try with an open mind, you might find something you'd like. Especially if you enjoy games like 19XX, and especially if you dislike memorizers! 

Edited by Sumez

Full disclaimer though, I'm not actually very fond of Dodonpachi DFK (resurrection) myself. Espgaluda 2 is great though, but I'd play the first Espgaluda game first, since it's a much easier game and a gentler introduction to bullethell. It never goes over the top with trying to push more bullets than necessary, and it gives the player a lot of defensive options that makes it feel much less punishing. 

On 6/7/2022 at 8:52 AM, MiamiSlice said:

What a disappointing CE. Why bother? 

BoyandhisBlob_Mockup_Market_Banner_DE_Sw

And in the end I still ordered this because I do like the game a lot and I like soundtracks. 

My gripe about the poster is it's probably folded. I hate folded posters. I know they are typical, I have tons in my collection. 

17 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

My gripe about the poster is it's probably folded. I hate folded posters. I know they are typical, I have tons in my collection. 

I know what you mean since I like game maps a lot - I really prefer cloth but will grab paper ones since that is what most games came with - I do put them opened in vinyl sheet protectors though so they don't get folded and unfolded (which is not so good for the crease lines).

• 2 weeks later...

Bladerunner is up for pre-order on Friday. 

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/blade-runner-enhanced-edition

I think I am just going to go with the base edition here.  The collectors edition has nothing I really want and the best thing about the ultimate edition (to me anyway) is the replica blaster - but it sounds like it is not a true 3d piece since it says it is not removable so it is probably flat on the side resting on the shadowbox (and likely not as well made as it appears in the picture).  In any event both the collectors and ultimate editions seem way overpriced.

Guests · Posted

Anyone know when the deluxe Zombies Ate My Neighbors will ship? I know the site says Q2 but I was hoping someone had an alternate source. Is Limited Run always this slow in getting the deluxe stuff out? This is my first experience buying from them.

8 minutes ago, Shane7951 said:

Anyone know when the deluxe Zombies Ate My Neighbors will ship? I know the site says Q2 but I was hoping someone had an alternate source. Is Limited Run always this slow in getting the deluxe stuff out? This is my first experience buying from them.

They usually ship the deluxe versions quite a bit later - I suspect they have several sources for the bonus materials and that increases the chances of something coming in late.  And they are generally really slow on everything.

You should get a message when they are getting ready to ship asking if you need to change your address;  The status will shift to in the warehouse but even then it may take a couple of weeks before they actually ship.

For what it is worth I am also waiting for that one - it is the oldest of the 20 or so orders I have with them that I am waiting on.

Edited by Tabonga

4 hours ago, Shane7951 said:

Yes its very normal for them to take this long. Take any shipping estimates they give with a grain of salt and add 2-3 months. The deluxe/collectors edition of games seem to take twice as long as standard editions to ship, and standard editions take anywhere from 8 to 12 months to ship it seems like anymore 

I've never ordered anything from Limited Run Games, though they've tempted me a few times. Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove has been in and out of my cart on eBay a few times now, but part of me just doesn't want to jump down the Limited Run Games rabbit hole.

It's not that I don't like them, it's that I'm worried I'll REALLY like them. 😅

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Lynda Monica said:

I've never ordered anything from Limited Run Games, though they've tempted me a few times. Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove has been in and out of my cart on eBay a few times now, but part of me just doesn't want to jump down the Limited Run Games rabbit hole.

It's not that I don't like them, it's that I'm worried I'll REALLY like them. 😅

Well on the bright side it's already too late for so much of the stuffed they'd handle.

...or at least is is until the Switch 2 comes out and they rerelease everything

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Well on the bright side it's already too late for so much of the stuffed they'd handle.

...or at least is is until the Switch 2 comes out and they rerelease everything

yeah that honestly seems like something they will do. And if you missed out on a regular release they might re release that too. I was excited for like 10 seconds, then I saw that the senran kagura they are re releasing is the 2015 game

Well yeah given PS4 works on PS5, it proves they lack any self control or class not to exploit people for more with revised packaging as the reason getting the FOMO fools hard.  They'd definitely do it with the switch sequel.  It's a more than fair bet, seeing how the Switch has done, and then the incremental upgrades that OLED model got, they're going to long haul the Switch until people stop making games in mass, then keep to the format.  They can't keep up and won't on console due to the asinine expenses involved, and a dedicated handheld is a struggle with mobile as it is now too, they got a switch middle ground and it pays dividends.

They'll go all GB to GBC / 3DS to New3DS on this thing ...double to quadruple the CPU, RAM, anything else necessary, stick with the same cards, and go for it and it makes sense.  I mean if you think about it 5 years ago they stopped at 32GB cards because the 64 was too expensive and you'd have had like $70-80 games against $60-70 PS4/5 level stuff, they'd have been wrecked.  But come on, that speedy well done tiny tech in the last five years the costs have had to have plummeted a lot, easily to beat the 32GB costs from then.  I bet you they're just waiting, biding their time, they'll get the sequel system out, have 64 and 128GB cards in the same price point, smaller games that want less can have a cheaper retail price and it's win win for everyone.

• Like 1

This is what gets me. It's a single GBC game. The ROM is like 1.25 MB. It's kind of offensive to use an entire PS5 disc for this one game. At some point they should just say "you know what? we can put Shantae, Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse in one release and save a few whales or something"... 

image.png.70a456b2e2abec43800d5ce63b18d1eb.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 4