IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Megaman 2!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and Gentlemen, time finally has come!
It is the time everyone was waiting for! @guillavoie and I proudly present... the 2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest!

And we will start with a BANG! For the first time ever in the NES Weekly Contest, we will be playing one of the most beloved games of all time, Megaman 2! 

Get ready for some fast paced action, for our contestants will have to prove they have THE SPEED to beat the 8 robot masters as fast as they can!
Here's the rules:

• Play difficult mode
  • Start the timer when you pick the difficult setting.
  • Stop the timer and finish your run when you spawn at the first Willy castle level
  • Post the video recording of your run along with the total time you took to reach the first Willy castle level
  • Timed runs without video proof will only be accepted in very specific situations, with the contestant providing proof for me or Guil that they have absolutely no means to record video of their run for this round.
  • No glitches are allowed for your run
  • Lowest time wins
  • Participation: Make it to the Willy Castle in less than 2 hours.
  • Genre: Action

Game on, ladies and gentlemen. GAME ON!

The contest ends Sunday, 03/20/22 at 11 pm EST.  Your user name should be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid. For speed runs that require video, that is not required.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

Unofficial test run for clarification to make sure this submission/format is acceptable:

0:4:11 (*This is just an example, using my time to beat Metal Man (not reach Wily Castle).   Hrs:Mins:Secs.  I used my start time in vid (0:11, after clicking 'difficult') then subtracted that value when I got to the cutscene screen (4:22)

Died twice on metal man stage, and barely beat metal man 😅, it's been too long since I've played this classic.

Edited by nesmaster14

Events Team · Posted
57 minutes ago, nesmaster14 said:

Unofficial test run for clarification to make sure this submission/format is acceptable:

0:4:11 (*This is just an example, using my time to beat Metal Man (not reach Wily Castle).   Hrs:Mins:Secs.  I used my start time in vid (0:11, after clicking 'difficult') then subtracted that value when I got to the cutscene screen (4:22)

Died twice on metal man stage, and barely beat metal man 😅, it's been too long since I've played this classic.

This is exactly what I expect you all to post for this week's context.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
Just now, Jeevan said:

sweet.  should we ammendment the rules for this one to say no vgs username, just for the speedrun ones......just a thought.

We loosely enforce that rule anyway since we already know what the players setup look like, and video makes it even more clear, but I think I can adjust the rules to cite that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Start the timer when you pick the difficult setting.

So, we need an external timer in the shot...

Participation: Make it to the Willy Castle in less than 2 hours.

Does the timer stop the instant we finish off the last of the 8 regular robot bosses or some later point depicting the Wily Castle?

edit: my bad, I see that was in the desc. after all.

Edited by PII

No glitches are allowed for your run

Just throwin' in out there this may require a specific list of do-nots.  I presume this means NO ZIPPING, but from what I've seen there seem to be a lot of little things in this game that may or may not be considered "a glitch."

34:51

Updated 3/20/22

Played once on Friday night and shaved a bit more time off.  Still sloppy and blundered on Air Man stage.  I'll see if I can get another score in today.

• 0:00:45 (Difficult mode selected)
  • 0:35:36 (Wily Stage 1 Spawn)

OLD ATTEMPTS Had a chance to play tonight, I actually recorded it with capture card and webcam.  My friggen HDD ran out of disk space while transcoding the capture footage (I was using 720p/60fps) and it won't let me open the file.  I freed space and I'll see if it comes around.  Just a fair warning before you make a serious run, check your HDD/memory card space! Luckily I got the webcam footage (wasn't expecting to use it... poor lighting, not sure if my name is visible but it's in bottom right corner):

1:33:20 (Run time) LINK TO VIDEO, AKA SLOWEST "SPEED" RUN OF MM2

• 0:00:50 (Difficult mode selected)
  • 1:34:10 (Wily Castle Spawn)

Not an exemplary showing by any means! Lol. Not sure if I'll have time for another run but it was fun to revisit.  Got Wily's Castle tune going in background now. Good stuff. Look forward to seeing some speedrun action!

Edited by nesmaster14
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Events Team · Posted
8 hours ago, nesmaster14 said:

How did you record you're run?

Edit: nevermind. capture card.  Gotcha.

Edited by JamesRobot