IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Megaman 2!

BeaIank

Administrator · Posted
42 minutes ago, Link said:

There's somethin' wrong with your computer, man. You need to blow in your cartridge. I've played this game possibly more than anything else, and never once had crazy glitches like this.

I looked online and it's a pretty easy glitch to fall into on multiple bosses, not uncommon at all. You're just too good!

15 minutes ago, Link said:

🤣 I am not gud

🤔 sez here you find that with a Game Genie. You cheating, @Gloves? 🧐😝 

You don't need a Game Genie to do that glitch, just if you want to reach the Dragon since you don't get Item-1 until you beat Heatman. 

By the way, if you beat the Dragon while in the glitched Wily stage it counts as beating Heatman.

• Like 1

Dr. Wily stage 3 in Woodman's stage:

Dr. Wily stage 4 in Bubbleman's stage:

Past Metalman's room (sometimes freezes, sometimes doesn't): 

Interestingly, past this glitched room, there's leftover data from Mega Man 1 that appears to be either Cutman's or Gutsman's room followed by Wily stage 1.

MM2mys-lvl7-m.gif

Source: The Mechanical Maniacs

Title/Intro screen in Crashman's stage: 

I remember talking about this stuff on GameFAQs in 2003. People were finding these glitched areas past the boss rooms. These, along with the discovery of the lost/unused levels in Super Mario Bros. 3, meant there were plenty of reasons to keep playing the NES during that era.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

Well as much as I hate to say it I dont think I can beat the participation bar here.  I've only just got a few bosses down, I'm not good and that's one thing but I'm just not enjoying it either.  The level design is so janky, so many cheap deaths/hits and it just aggravates me to play it.  And the music is... not good.  For my long term stamina season I should just bow out now and not attempt further.  Anyone wanna buy a CIB Mega Man 6? lol

• Wow! 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Well as much as I hate to say it I dont think I can beat the participation bar here.  I've only just got a few bosses down, I'm not good and that's one thing but I'm just not enjoying it either.  The level design is so janky, so many cheap deaths/hits and it just aggravates me to play it.  And the music is... not good.  For my long term stamina season I should just bow out now and not attempt further.  Anyone wanna buy a CIB Mega Man 6? lol

This is the first I've seen someone complain about the _music_ in MM2. I always thought this has one of the best soundtracks on the NES.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

29 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

This is the first I've seen someone complain about the _music_ in MM2. I always thought this has one of the best soundtracks on the NES.

I wanted to ruffle feathers, yeah I see it get placed up there, personally I find it droning, blaring on a hard frequency, and its typical. I used to like MM3 and part of that was the atmosphere so idk.  I think the best NES music is Gemfire which many wouldnt agree with so I'm coming from a different spot

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Krunch said:

Quitting is for weaklings.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Quitting is for weaklings.

I know, its brutal.  Usually even if I'm bad I slog through.  I'm all right though, I have a nice slice of gaming time this weekend so instead of playin this I'll comb the roster and pre-play some stuff.  I expect devious rulesets!  Despite this I can gain more than 3 points in the long haul with enough preparation now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PII said:

Nice run, but what happened to keeping all of your updated submissions in one post, or is that not a rule this year?  I was running through the thread and kept seeing countless posts by you with videos that had a strike through the time, and I was like wtf?!?  Are you like going back to your last post every single time you post a new submission just to put a strike through the time?  Weird.......

@Dr. Morbis This whole video aspect is new to me and I ran into a lot of problems early on in regard to recording/uploading etc.  Initially, I had found the rules to be a bit mysterioso as well, which has been documented earlier in the thread.  For both of these reasons I  couldn't help wondering if there were going to be a hundred and one problems/issues, technical or otherwise and so I left my 1st run up when I posted my second and then the same when I posted my third, but also took the time to cross off the first two.  Also, 3 is not countless.  Additionally, I think that if we were all watching each other's runs as we go we'd all have a lot more  ¡A-HA! moments that would allow us all greater opportunity to get better at what we're all trying to do here.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
7 hours ago, Krunch said:

i would, but i already have that, now mm 1-5 if u have cib copies that you wanna get rid of hit me up!  😆

15 minutes ago, PII said:

@Dr. Morbis This whole video aspect is new to me and I ran into a lot of problems early on in regard to recording/uploading etc.  Initially, I had found the rules to be a bit mysterioso as well, which has been documented earlier in the thread.  For both of these reasons I  couldn't help wondering if there were going to be a hundred and one problems/issues, technical or otherwise and so I left my 1st run up when I posted my second and then the same when I posted my third, but also took the time to cross off the first two.  Also, 3 is not countless.  Additionally, I think that if we were all watching each other's runs as we go we'd all have a lot more  ¡A-HA! moments that would allow us all greater opportunity to get better at what we're all trying to do here.

Understood.  I actually had a couple A-HA moments watching your last video, and I think I could probably shave a good thirty seconds off my run if I used Item-2 in a couple of spots that you did that I didn't think of.  But alas, I'm all Mega Man'd out for this week so my current run is my final one.

@docile tapeworm I find it funny that you swear up and down that the Mega Mans are better games than Contra, but then you propose that everyone should be using their p-shooter only for this contest, thusly ignoring the very aspects of the Mega Man franchise that make it distinct from Contra... 🤔   Just some food for thought... 😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Murray said:

Where’s skinny’s highest gate floating run? 

He doesn't post his submissions until Sunday because he wants the Weekly VGS NES tournament to have extremely boring threads for six and a half days out of the week, and then a sudden mega-splooge on Sunday evening for a couple of hours to get it all out of our systems...

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I find it funny that you swear up and down that the Mega Mans are better games than Contra, but then you propose that everyone should be using their p-shooter only for this contest, thusly ignoring the very aspects of the Mega Man franchise that make it distinct from Contra... 🤔   Just some food for thought... 😉

Not trying to answer for wormy, just felt like throwing my own pesos into the fountain: I think Mega Mans are better than Contra, even though I think Contras are awesome too.  They are both run n guns; Mega Man is more Run and Contra is more Gun.  Mega Man is faster paced and Contra is more blast everything in sight.  So even though I think Mega man is objectively better largely because of the creativity of all the robot bosses and unique powers that have a varied relationship to the levels/enemies, the essence of which one a person prefers is largely a matter of taste.  That's my opinion anyway.

• Like 1