IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Megaman 2!

BeaIank

10 minutes ago, PII said:

Not trying to answer for wormy, just felt like throwing my own pesos into the fountain: I think Mega Mans are better than Contra, even though I think Contras are awesome too.  They are both run n guns; Mega Man is more Run and Contra is more Gun.  Mega Man is faster paced and Contra is more blast everything in sight.  So even though I think Mega man is objectively better largely because of the creativity of all the robot bosses and unique powers that have a varied relationship to the levels/enemies, the essence of which one a person prefers is largely a matter of taste.  That's my opinion anyway.

Fair enough, but would you think the Mega Mans were better if you could only use your p-shooter?  Hmmm......

I am interested to see if Skinny's run will actually be a p-shooter only, and thus a worse time, or if he'll go back on his own principles and post a killer time that uses all of Mega Man's arsenal like God intended.  Only time will tell...

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Fair enough, but would you think the Mega Mans were better if you could only use your p-shooter?  Hmmm......

I am interested to see if Skinny's run will actually be a p-shooter only, and thus a worse time, or if he'll go back on his own principles and post a killer time that uses all of Mega Man's arsenal like God intended.  Only time will tell...

Maybe not then, hard to say for sure.  It would still be faster paced though.  I like flick of the wrist stuff.

A P-Buster Only Competition would be cool too, but more of a Competition for a group who are all old hands at the game...

• Like 2

@Krunch the soundtrack is great but I love your “rustle feathers” outlook.

@mbd39 there you are! Was wondering about you! 💪🏻🤘🏻

@Dr. Morbis mega man is better than contra. Mega man is better played “p” only. Mega man played “p” only is 10x better than contra.

@PII I agree the pace of mega man is just as quick if not more than contra. When I watch my recordings the clickety clack of me slapping the d-pad and buttons is like a machine gun.

@Murray hahaaaaa! I have a decent run recorded but now I wanna go back and float those gates pixel perfect cause I was sloppy for sure! Hell ya brother hahaaa!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Dr. Morbis mega man is better than contra. Mega man is better played “p” only. Mega man played “p” only is 10x better than contra.

Ten times better?!?  Damn, dude, I didn't know the difference was that stark.  But thanks for enlightening me; I'd be lost without your guidance.... Really.... 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Ten times better?!?  Damn, dude, I didn't know the difference was that stark.  But thanks for enlightening me; I'd be lost without your guidance.... Really.... 😛

I’ll play mega man 100x over before I pull suckie contra off the shelf. Only reason I keep a copy is because it’s a misprint circle seal. 
im glad I could help you see the light but please don’t mention it I do it out of love not recognition.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Dr. Morbis I think I can trim my p only run down to 26 but no way I can go sub 25.

Well my current time is my final submission, so if you or anyone else wants to take it down, more power to you; I'm just hoping for a top 3 finish.  I made some really stupid mistakes in my run, but my only real goal was sub 25 since my camera will not do videos of more than 25 minutes in length.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well my current time is my final submission, so if you or anyone else wants to take it down, more power to you; I'm just hoping for a top 3 finish.  I made some really stupid mistakes in my run, but my only real goal was sub 25 since my camera will not do videos of more than 25 minutes in length.

I screwed the pooch in the flash man stage. Got all discombobulated and went the wrong path….just choked and blew it.

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

I screwed the pooch in the flash man stage. Got all discombobulated and went the wrong path….just choked and blew it.

I did that as well in my posted run, and you can hear me yell when it happens.  I did get back on track a couple screens later, but it cost me a few seconds...

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

Nicely done!  I knew with how much you were playing all week that you would take down my top spot.  Now I've gotta hope not too many other people are holding onto killer times

My time is like 29 minutes, from my second attempt. Didn't really get the time or desire to try again. 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Nicely done!  I knew with how much you were playing all week that you would take down my top spot.  Now I've gotta hope not too many other people are holding onto killer times

Thanks!  When you posted, I was surprised to see such a good run starting with Metal Man.  I was like, "What's he up to?...."

9 minutes ago, PII said:

Thanks!  When you posted, I was surprised to see such a good run starting with Metal Man.  I was like, "What's he up to?...."

I didn't do any research and there are definitely waaaaay better routes, but I just wanted to be able to use the Metal Blade on every single level.  But after seeing you time-stop those falling spikes at the start, I would've altered my run for that.  I also would've watched a bunch of real speedrun videos if this was like the tourney or a must-win week for a badge, but since it was the first game of the season, I decided to wing it "Skinny Grinny Style."

As for your last run, it was nice to see that you stopped spending half your time on Airman's stage standing around waiting to not get hit.  I was thinking, "Man, this is a speedrun, wtf is he waiting for?  We don't get extra points for having more health!"

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted

I know its rockman 2, but i did practice some of this run earlier in the week.  Obviously not my recording, but thought you all might like to see a pro speedrunner 😉  I was at like 3 mins. on airman stage, and somewhere around that on quickman stage too.  I had some things pop up and had to quit playing on Tuesday this week, so congrats to you all on this.  One of my favorite mega man games 🙂  

Spoiler