IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Megaman 2!

BeaIank

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Lol @RH @NESfiend I retract my previous statement 

My stance on that issue has been consistent and well spoken, lol. The thread is a lot more fun when scores are going up throughout the week. More important than strategy. 

I did get the mega man 2 cart out, but the chances I figure out how to video record are pretty slim. End result would be embarassing regardless. Never been veey good at mega man games 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

19 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Do you have anything else to mention in that kind of stuff?

I looked up some of this stuff and it seems pretty clear to me that ruling it out entirely is going to invalidate every run.

- If there is an enemy on the right side of the screen and you move to the left you will de-spawn it.  (it could not be easier to do this entirely by accident.)

- Hitting start at any point in the air will advance the character forward slightly.  (this is annoying because the air is often the best place to switch powers, as it's being done on the fly and this is speed-running after all.)

- Shooting 1 Bubble, 3 Metal Blades or 7 Boomerangs and then accessing the powers menu results in no ammo being consumed.  (so once again, you hit start at the wrong time and your run is invalidated.)

- Pausing the game more than once as a bullet hits mega man causes the bullet to go through with no damage. (pretty much the same deal here.)

So, you hit start or left at the wrong time, you shoot the wrong number of shots and then access the menu or pause a couple of times while being shot and the whole run is potentially invalidated.

For a couple of examples I'm posting a link to a botched run I just made in which I happened to access the menu during a drop at 7:29 and then at 7:47 I hit left while trying to shoot one of those fan guys which de-spawned him.  This is probably the most annoying part of Airman stage because you're trying to shoot the fan guy who's blowing wind at you making the pit of doom in front of you a death trap, and you've got birds flying through.  It's super easy to de-spawn this guy by accident and I highly doubt that this is a rare type of event for this game.

Mega man 2 speed runs are either zipping or no zipping so I get that.  Zipping would be a bit much and ruin the fun for most contestants so no zipping makes sense and your chances of zipping by accident are probably in the ballpark of 10,000 to 1.  BUT THIS OTHER STUFF HAPPENS ALL THE TIME AS PART OF A NORMAL RUN.

Seems to me there ought to be some middle ground between invalidating every run or having unequal standards for players "A" and "B"; And just allowing the player to shamelessly manipulate the game the whole way.

Events Team · Posted
28 minutes ago, PII said:

I looked up some of this stuff and it seems pretty clear to me that ruling it out entirely is going to invalidate every run.

- If there is an enemy on the right side of the screen and you move to the left you will de-spawn it.  (it could not be easier to do this entirely by accident.)

- Hitting start at any point in the air will advance the character forward slightly.  (this is annoying because the air is often the best place to switch powers, as it's being done on the fly and this is speed-running after all.)

- Shooting 1 Bubble, 3 Metal Blades or 7 Boomerangs and then accessing the powers menu results in no ammo being consumed.  (so once again, you hit start at the wrong time and your run is invalidated.)

- Pausing the game more than once as a bullet hits mega man causes the bullet to go through with no damage. (pretty much the same deal here.)

So, you hit start or left at the wrong time, you shoot the wrong number of shots and then access the menu or pause a couple of times while being shot and the whole run is potentially invalidated.

For a couple of examples I'm posting a link to a botched run I just made in which I happened to access the menu during a drop at 7:29 and then at 7:47 I hit left while trying to shoot one of those fan guys which de-spawned him.  This is probably the most annoying part of Airman stage because you're trying to shoot the fan guy who's blowing wind at you making the pit of doom in front of you a death trap, and you've got birds flying through.  It's super easy to de-spawn this guy by accident and I highly doubt that this is a rare type of event for this game.

Mega man 2 speed runs are either zipping or no zipping so I get that.  Zipping would be a bit much and ruin the fun for most contestants so no zipping makes sense and your chances of zipping by accident are probably in the ballpark of 10,000 to 1.  BUT THIS OTHER STUFF HAPPENS ALL THE TIME AS PART OF A NORMAL RUN.

Seems to me there ought to be some middle ground between invalidating every run or having unequal standards for players "A" and "B"; And just allowing the player to shamelessly manipulate the game the whole way.

I think that de-spawning enemies on purpose should be allowed IMO, I'm not sure what you guys think but this sounds like a great tactic for a speedrun to me.

Using start to either dodge a bullet, advancing the character, or using no ammo on bubble/metal/boomerangs should all be ruled out only if a player clearly abuse of it. Stuff like :

Casually pressing start button while in the air to change weapons and such = Allowed

Using the start button many times in a row to avoid falling into a hole = invalidate your run

Abusing start button to dodge bullets in order to stay alive = invalidate your run

Dodge a bullet accidentally by pressing start at the right moment = Tolerated

Strategically pressing start numerous times in your run to avoid using ammo = invalidate your run

Thoughts?

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I was just fighting the fire dude and he hit me, glitched me through a wall, and now I'm on a glitched out version of an entirely different level. 

Wow, stuff like this is fascinating.  Too bad you weren't recording.

I know there's a zip at the end of one level where you have to have a certain character equipped and jump at the right moment to get into the hall before the boss or you just end up trapped in the ceiling forever...

Events Team · Posted

No e-cans.  My current run has at least 3 stupid deaths though.  I'm sure I can nodeath it.

Shaved some time but still no nodeath.  I fell in Airman stage and had a sloppy Bubbleman stage run.  (Had a bunch of lead time at the beginning of the current run.)  At least i found a decent way to record video.  Sound is still shitty tho.

No death; no ecans.  Choose difficule at 0.03; Wily stage spawn at 23.46 = 23.43

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 2

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I was just fighting the fire dude and he hit me, glitched me through a wall, and now I'm on a glitched out version of an entirely different level. 

The fuck, game. 

PXL_20220316_041337786.jpg

Same shit just happened to me fighting Bubble Man.  Shoved me into a dead end glitch of one of the Wily levels.

YxVUzgs.jpg

• Haha 3

Events Team · Posted
8 hours ago, guillavoie said:

I think that de-spawning enemies on purpose should be allowed IMO, I'm not sure what you guys think but this sounds like a great tactic for a speedrun to me.

Using start to either dodge a bullet, advancing the character, or using no ammo on bubble/metal/boomerangs should all be ruled out only if a player clearly abuse of it. Stuff like :

Casually pressing start button while in the air to change weapons and such = Allowed

Using the start button many times in a row to avoid falling into a hole = invalidate your run

Abusing start button to dodge bullets in order to stay alive = invalidate your run

Dodge a bullet accidentally by pressing start at the right moment = Tolerated

Strategically pressing start numerous times in your run to avoid using ammo = invalidate your run

Thoughts?

De-spawning enemies is a speed run staple so it should of course be allowed.
Pause tricks that don't do clipping or zipping make your run actually slower, so why would we ban those? 🤨
Why would someone go out of their way to make their run slower on a speed run?
The only one that would be troubling would be abusing the start button to avoid a bullet that would kill you. And since there's video, we can easily see it being done and invalidate the run.