IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

I wore a mask through a full 9 hour workday yesterday. The mandate for retail goes into effect Monday, and the mandate for restaurants the following Monday. I wanted to just get used to it plus try to set a good example. Admittedly, it was quite uncomfortable to be running around and cooking, but it was certainly manageable. 

Just have to get staff on board now. And other management. The mandate for mask wearing is coming fast, but nobody wants to talk about it or acknowledge it. And some have said they will refuse to work. Great. It was a hard revelation for them when you point out that there is nowhere else to work where masks aren't required.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I wore a mask through a full 9 hour workday yesterday. The mandate for retail goes into effect Monday, and the mandate for restaurants the following Monday. I wanted to just get used to it plus try to set a good example. Admittedly, it was quite uncomfortable to be running around and cooking, but it was certainly manageable. 

Just have to get staff on board now. And other management. The mandate for mask wearing is coming fast, but nobody wants to talk about it or acknowledge it. And some have said they will refuse to work. Great. It was a hard revelation for them when you point out that there is nowhere else to work where masks aren't required.

We are on week 3 of the order for us to wear a mask while working, but like you, most of us started a week early because we knew it was coming. On Wednesday the city I work in said everyone going into any store must wear a mask or we aren’t supposed to serve them. It hasn’t been too bad I guess. Only one person Has  tried to spit on us and we’ve only “lost” about a dozen or so customers. 

27 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Only one person Has  tried to spit on us and we’ve only “lost” about a dozen or so customers. 

I can only wonder what it was like when store first enacted the no shirt, no service rules. I just picture shirtless weirdos vowing to never return to the convenience store and rubbing their nipple hair on the staff on their way out. 

• Haha 1

How idiotic do you have to be to angrily defy a face mask? These people are acting like they’re being asked to have their balls chopped off.

3 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I can only wonder what it was like when store first enacted the no shirt, no service rules. I just picture shirtless weirdos vowing to never return to the convenience store and rubbing their nipple hair on the staff on their way out. 

Fortunately back then they didn’t have a very large and biased news media shouting conspiracy theories about the mandate and social media to allow it to spread like wildfire. I have a feeling these idiots wouldn’t be acting this way if they weren’t being told it was some scheme against them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

lol, when I first started working at my factory in 2006-07-08 males were allowed to work with no shirt because of what the heating conditions were back then. It was never a problem until we started hiring sweaty fat guys who insisted on being allowed to sit in the cafe without their shirt. There was also a time where a chick tried to work in her bra and panties. After that it was shirts on for everybody. Tough adjustment at first, haha. I once got forced to wear an 'Andre the Giant' singlet over my shoulder because I had sun poisoning too badly to wear a shirt

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, The Strangest said:

How idiotic do you have to be to angrily defy a face mask? These people are acting like they’re being asked to have their balls chopped off.

Fortunately back then they didn’t have a very large and biased news media shouting conspiracy theories about the mandate and social media to allow it to spread like wildfire. I have a feeling these idiots wouldn’t be acting this way if they weren’t being told it was some scheme against them.

Surely you wouldn't rather go back to the olden days when all you got were your local newspaper, local TV/radio stations and not get any alternate views?  Thanks but no thanks. 😛 

• Like 1

The grocery store here has started rationing all meat. It’s Mariano’s, Owens by Kroger. You are limited to two packages each of fresh beef and chicken and one package of pork. My family has all kinds of food allergies and sensitivities. They only eat beef, chicken, and three or four different vegetables and fruit. This is concerning.

14 hours ago, Estil said:

Surely you wouldn't rather go back to the olden days when all you got were your local newspaper, local TV/radio stations and not get any alternate views?  Thanks but no thanks. 😛 

Oh I’m totally thankful for social media, I just think it can be a double edged sword at times.

3 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

The grocery store here has started rationing all meat. It’s Mariano’s, Owens by Kroger. You are limited to two packages each of fresh beef and chicken and one package of pork. My family has all kinds of food allergies and sensitivities. They only eat beef, chicken, and three or four different vegetables and fruit. This is concerning.

The Kroger stores in our area had already been rationing meat, but not the fruits and vegetables.

5 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Have you looked into Omaha steaks? Not the cheapest by any stretch, but it's at least available.

Edit: there are promo codes online that bring their prices down to a somewhat reasonable level. Definitely worth looking into if you have real concern. Or maybe giving a local butcher a call and see about getting a bulk package. Supply chain disruptions are real. We can't get roast beef or ham at work right now and couldnt get Capicola for a couple weeks. And lots of short codes on food we do get in

Edited by Kguillemette
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Oh I’m totally thankful for social media, I just think it can be a double edged sword at times.

You're preaching to the choir on that one.  As I've said before I'm also very grateful I am able to read over 100 years worth of my local newspaper archive online...sure beats having to manually load microfilm rolls one at a time and not having any sort of Ctrl+F function!!

How did people live in them olden days?  Even the  one time "future" year 2000 is now already so primitive. 😞 

2 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Have you looked into Omaha steaks? Not the cheapest by any stretch, but it's at least available.

Edit: there are promo codes online that bring their prices down to a somewhat reasonable level. Definitely worth looking into if you have real concern. Or maybe giving a local butcher a call and see about getting a bulk package. Supply chain disruptions are real. We can't get roast beef or ham at work right now and couldnt get Capicola for a couple weeks. And lots of short codes on food we do get in

Thanks for the tip! I am looking into getting bulk orders in.

if this doesn’t work, going to need to try a vegan diet low in salicylates. Kids are allergic to many of the low salicylate fruits like apples, bananas, pears, and potatoes. It’s so weird what my kids and wife can actually eat. I can eat anything.

1 hour ago, Estil said:

You're preaching to the choir on that one.  As I've said before I'm also very grateful I am able to read over 100 years worth of my local newspaper archive online...sure beats having to manually load microfilm rolls one at a time and not having any sort of Ctrl+F function!!

How did people live in them olden days?  Even the  one time "future" year 2000 is now already so primitive. 😞 

You used what was available then because that was all that there was.  And even something as simple as an electric typewriter was a marvel when very few people owned them - they were for a long time used only in office setting since they were so expensive.  When hand held calculators first came out in 1971 by Texas Instruments they cost $400 (a little over $2500 today) IIRC.  And since they could only do the four basic functions (not even square roots) they had pretty limited applications - mostly a toy/prestige symbol for those that could afford them.

In some ways modern things have dulled people's capabilities.  For example when I was in college when you had to do a paper you would go to the card catalog and find the call number area(s) that you would find the appropriate books in.  Then you would go to the shelf and browse what was actually on the shelf and check out what was relevant to you.   When I worked in the library (and still had contact with the student users) I don't know how many times they would come up to me and want me to find a book for them (they had looked the call number up on the library catalog) - no matter how many times I offered to show them how the call number system worked they never wanted to learn how to do it themselves) because they just had to have it for their paper.   I would find it for them and they would take it (and just it) and almost invariably I would find it a short time later left on a table - they discovered that the brief description on the database really wasn't adequate and that for whatever reason the book wasn't what they so desperately needed.

Calculators/computers  have destroyed most people's abilities to do basic math either  on paper or in their heads,  I am rusty but I can manage on paper when pressed and can easily  figure tips at restaurants in my head.  Below a certain age  people rarely have picked up those skills since reliance on calculators/computers means they have never had to.

• Like 2

I picked this movie up last week:

It seemed timely which is why I picked it up.  While the disease in the film is obviously much much worse than the coronavirus it is interesting because of what is going on now.  It is actually pretty good since it portrays how people will resort to savage behavior in order to survive,  And of course the characters have to do some of the dumbest things possible in light of the situation.  For a low budget end of the world film you could do much worse than this. (It was made in 2009.)

Events Team · Posted
11 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Calculators/computers  have destroyed most people's abilities to do basic math either  on paper or in their heads,  I am rusty but I can manage on paper when pressed and can easily  figure tips at restaurants in my head.  Below a certain age  people rarely have picked up those skills since reliance on calculators/computers means they have never had to.

While this is somewhat irrelevant to the topic of this thread, for what it's worth I can corroborate this. I'm 18, and, uh... math has never been my strong suit, to put it lightly. Although to be fair I've never been a big fan of math, so if I was around before electronic calculators existed, I still probably wouldn't be all that great at it, since part of me not being good at math was just me kind of dragging my feet on actually doing it as a kid.

20 hours ago, Tabonga said:

That's not what I see. All most people know how to do is perform an algorithm inorder to do most addition. I'd even guess you'd be guilty of thinking addition involves carrying the one, right? Or division involves some Euclidian well ordering repeated subtraction to find a remainder? 

IMO, if you know how to perform the basic field axioms, you don't need any writing for numbers under 1k, maybe 10k if you have a good memory and can hold the digits consistently. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 3:26 PM, Tabonga said:

You used what was available then because that was all that there was.  And even something as simple as an electric typewriter was a marvel when very few people owned them - they were for a long time used only in office setting since they were so expensive.  When hand held calculators first came out in 1971 by Texas Instruments they cost $400 (a little over $2500 today) IIRC.  And since they could only do the four basic functions (not even square roots) they had pretty limited applications - mostly a toy/prestige symbol for those that could afford them.

You know how the famous and legendary Pony Express in the Old West days only lasted about a year and a half because it was killed off by the first transcontinental telegraph?  Well, for at least a few hundred years no one in a STEM field would be caught dead without their trusty slide rule...until this came along...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-35

Well, once they started becoming more affordable anyway...I'm not sure even a professor would be eager to pony up $2400 (inflation adjusted cost) for it.