IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

6 hours ago, GPX said:

Just want to clarify this post. There are actually a lot of overlap between the symptoms of the typical flu and the SARS-Cov-2. The majority of the Covid19 have the exact same symptoms as the flu - fever, aches, sore throat, cough; and both can be self-limiting in that they can settle on their own with a typical healthy body. Where it differs is the Covid19 can progress to the severe form more readily and is associated with more pneumonia cases, which is the main association of an increased mortality. 

Social media tends to show all the severe cases and not the mild ones and this can lead to an overall false perception that all cases are serious. Some cases of Covid19 in fact, can be mild to asymptomatic.

The symptoms themselves (cough, aches, fever, etc.) all do mimic flu once symptoms emerge. 100% agreed. My post should’ve read “infection nor the symptoms onset time”, I was typing a little too quickly hah. Edited original for clarity. 

The onset for flu is usually a few days. The difference with SARS-CoV-2 is in the emergent time, which can be up to two weeks (and I’ve heard from friends who are working in the hospitals that they even have some cases where they believe some patients caught it 15+ days before they came in for treatment). During that 2 weeks, you’re contagious. That’s the primary issue in the way this thing seems to spread. And there’s definitely mild cases out their, no doubt. I know a few who’ve now said they’re feeling like they’re “coming out of the woods”.

Good catch.

Personally Known Infected:

My Uncle (Diabetic, but only thought to have acquired 1 week ago and remains asymptomatic)

My Aunt (different nuclear family, acquired 1 week ago, asymptomatic).

My cousin (Different nuclear family)

My cousin’s newborn (1 week old)

My wife’s Nurse Manger

My wife's colleague (Worked with her last week)

My wife’s colleague (worked with her last week) (We got the call today that she lost her brother (42YO, no underlying))

My wife’s colleague (and her husband... both said to be recovering)

My colleague and his GF

College buddy (recovering but hard hit)

Wifes friend (ICU, Vented and in Kidney Failure, 52YO)

Colleague (60+, Smoker, stable).

^this is mostly all news to me as of today...I knew of 6 yesterday.. 11 or so now? With calls coming in constantly. NY is in bad shape. Disheartening 😞

Edited by Lambda
Forgot people...
  • Sad 6

Events Helper · Posted
26 minutes ago, Californication said:

I read that more mild Corona Virus cases last two weeks and more serious cases can be 3 - 6 weeks. We are over 150,000 U.S. cases and there hasn't been any data to show that the spread has climaxed. I think the stay at home orders are going to have to go into atleast May.

My county here has signed something about a week or so ago that put standing orders for the essential only travel until may 22

3 hours ago, Californication said:

I read that more mild Corona Virus cases last two weeks and more serious cases can be 3 - 6 weeks. We are over 150,000 U.S. cases and there hasn't been any data to show that the spread has climaxed. I think the stay at home orders are going to have to go into atleast May.

Virginia has already issued it's stay at home order until June 10th...

• Wow! 1

I tell you the news is getting more depressing each day. I am fooling around with the stock market and it's hard to focus because I keep thinking about what is happening to people, between people being out of work, supplies limited, fear of getting sick, and death of loved ones, it really is a.dark time.

I really think some of our governors and nurses/doctors and the people doing what they can for others are heroes in all of this. I hope the best for anyone out there that is taking it on the chin right now, keep your head up.

Edited by Californication

20 hours ago, GPX said:

Social media tends to show all the severe cases and not the mild ones and this can lead to an overall false perception that all cases are serious. Some cases of Covid19 in fact, can be mild to asymptomatic.

Makes not that much difference really.  Because one can't really be sure how it effects them, and even it doesn't effect themselves that badly, they'll be carrying (even before one show symptoms) so they can easily give others serious and possibly deadly cases.

18 minutes ago, Californication said:

I tell you the news is getting more depressing each day. I am fooling around with the stock market and it's hard to focus because I keep thinking about what is happening to people, between people being out of work, supplies limited, fear of getting sick, and death of loved ones, it really is a.dark time.

I really think some of our governors and nurses/doctors and the people doing what they can for others are heroes in all of this. I hope the best for anyone out there that is taking it on the chin right now, keep your head up.

All we can do is do our best to do what we're all supposed to and wait this out however long it takes.  Sadly there's nothing else we can do.

5 hours ago, jonebone said:

Virginia has already issued it's stay at home order until June 10th...

Yet here in Iowa, our Governor is refusing to do this...and our cases are skyrocketing - nearly 100 in my county (Linn) alone with a handful of deaths...I know there are several factors to consider but I really hope she changes her tune soon.

5 minutes ago, nrslam said:

Possible glimmer of hope: number of people hospitalized in Washington state (first state to get hit hard) declined by 20% last week.

Source: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/hospitalizations-for-covid-19-like-illness-declined-last-week-in-washington-offering-a-glimmer-of-hope/

Realistically, we're going to peak (as a country) at some point in Spring.  I expect it to slow significantly in the Summer but I would be willing to be a substantial amount of money this comes back in the Fall.  If you look at past pandemics there are usually multiple break out periods until the vaccine develops... which is still more than a year away (probably closer to 18 months). Though they'll do everything in their power to fast track it. 

Edited by jonebone

4 hours ago, Estil said:

Makes not that much difference really.  Because one can't really be sure how it effects them, and even it doesn't effect themselves that badly, they'll be carrying (even before one show symptoms) so they can easily give others serious and possibly deadly cases.

Your point was different to mine regarding the previous post. My point being that we shouldn’t muddy the facts due to our biases obtained from the media. It is crucial that we don’t overblow things because otherwise it can create increased public fear/hysteria. 

You’d want the public to be in fear so they do the right thing with hand hygiene, social distancing etc. However, you don’t want to push out false statements to cause undue stress to the public. Too much stress in some may do more harm than the Covid19 itself!

11 hours ago, OptOut said:

My aunt has it in the UK, she's in hospital on oxygen 24/7. She's still online and seems in good spirits, but based on some of the stories in this thread and elsewhere, I'm obviously very worried...

I can perhaps help you to feel more calm. The trick is to not relate all the stories you read or hear, but judge each situation on their own merit. The fact you mentioned “she’s in good spirits” is a good sign. Also the fact she can go online and make posts mean she’s getting adequate oxygen (to her brain and likely general body). The more serious cases (eg. ICU), these people are likely to be very weak or semi-conscious to being in a coma. In other words, very hard for them to go online and type up stuff!

Hopefully, your aunt will post more and more in the coming days!

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted

Well, I mean, since this is a Coronavirus thread, the political handling of things is sort of relevant.  I mean, as long as people are being reasonable and not getting snarky or attacking each other or large groups of people, then it should be fine.  

I don't envy those in charge right now - it is an incredibly difficult position to be in - weighing all of the different elements of life, striking the balance between freedom and safety, etc.  I think some leaders are not handling this very well, while others are doing the best they can and making people feel more comfortable.

We'll never all agree on what is "too far" or what is "not far enough" regarding the actions they are taking or not taking right now.  

I haven't followed all of them, but I can say that I'm incredibly proud of our governor (KY).  I think he has taken this seriously from the get-go, and has done a good job of taking stern action, while trying to phase things in and help explain to people that they aren't physically locked in their homes.  He (like many others right now) has such a difficult job right now, that I'd never want to have.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, spacepup said:

Well, I mean, since this is a Coronavirus thread, the political handling of things is sort of relevant.  I mean, as long as people are being reasonable and not getting snarky or attacking each other or large groups of people, then it should be fine.  

You're right, it really should be.   But I know this isn't either of our's first day on the internet.

For political I'm not talking about "Governor so-and-so did this until this date", I'm more talking about the political jabs broad-brushing one side or the other.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Hmmm why june 10th such an arbitrary day.

Ohhhhh republican primary june 9th?

Northam. What a piece of trash.

Look at a calendar -- the specific end-date is because it works out to an exact number of weeks for the order.

In VA we have one of the few governors (if there are even any others) that is a physician who I'd expect to accurately follow whatever x-week-from-start-date guidelines that are floating around.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

I do think that more and more people are starting to take this seriously, and I think that's a good thing.   I acknowledge that the economy is taking a hit, and there are major problems that will result from all of the shut-downs.  But, I also firmly believe that our situation right now would be significantly worse, if we weren't doing some of these things.  We'll never truly know how many lives have been saved, or will be saved, from the measures we are taking now.

When you look at the number of cases we have now in the US, and the number of deaths, it highlights just how serious this is - and it will get worse.  

What is happening now is horrible - the illnesses, the economy, jobs, our financial situation, etc.  However, I can't even fathom the catastrophe we'd be in, if no one took any of these measures, and everyone was out and about spreading around COVID like it's no big deal.  

I'm just trying to have some trust and respect for the experts who are guiding us and what they think is best here.   

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Look at a calendar -- the specific end-date is because it works out to an exact number of weeks for the order.

In VA we have one of the few governors (if there are even any others) that is a physician who I'd expect to accurately follow whatever x-week-from-start-date guidelines that are floating around.

I bet it does 🙄