IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

I noticed that the weights section at my Walmart has totally gotten cleaned out, didn't dawn on me that would happen once gyms got closed down. Kind of disappointed, I'd been meaning to get some 25lbs the last few months as I only have 15lbs at home and I kept putting it off.

I haven't been online much the last few weeks but have basically been holding my breath to see how things would go with my job. In the end they furloughed about 95% of the staff but I was kept as essential, and then the state classified our factory as essential business on Friday, so I'll be good to keep working full time as far as I can tell. It's eerie with most of the staff gone, but at least there's nobody around to get sick from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Makar said:

Anyone here have corona or know someone who does?

Unconfirmed but my sons mother (my ex wife) and her husband were indirectly exposed to it at work being in the same area as one whom was later found out to be positive with it...so....yeah time will tell. 

1 hour ago, Makar said:

Man that sucks. Do they need anything? Any way we can help out as a community?

I have no idea, he just mentioned it in passing. I think a lot of folks over there aren't taking things seriously, at least that's the impression I'm under.

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I have no idea, he just mentioned it in passing. I think a lot of folks over there aren't taking things seriously, at least that's the impression I'm under.

Nice to hear USA isn’t the only country of morons 🙄

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, trj22487 said:

I noticed that the weights section at my Walmart has totally gotten cleaned out, didn't dawn on me that would happen once gyms got closed down. Kind of disappointed, I'd been meaning to get some 25lbs the last few months as I only have 15lbs at home and I kept putting it off.

458877d5a166c89aebc6ae8437a425ce59362658

9 hours ago, Lambda said:

I know at least 6 positive with more cases that will likely be confirmed. 1 is in ICU. The other 5 are having the crap kicked out of them by the virus. It’s not pretty

All the more reason I've been doing my best to do this whole self-isolation thing as much as I can...because this virus sounds like even if it doesn't kill you, you'll sometimes wish it did 😞 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Estil said:

All the more reason I've been doing my best to do this whole self-isolation thing as much as I can...because this virus sounds like even if it doesn't kill you, you'll sometimes wish it did 😞 

Yep, that’s the impression I’ve gotten from survivors who described their symptoms. The scariest to me is not being able to take full breaths and feeling like you’re suffocating. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Estil said:

I can give an account from one individual who thankfully of the 6 I know is now making his way out. He told me he was gasping for air for a couple of days (which caused a total loss of sleep and had him battling exhaustion to stay awake for fear (in his own mind) of falling asleep and never waking up). He wen thru the ordeal for roughly 13 days straight, with what they call a phantom recovery (which has been documented with this virus)... you basically get hit hard for 3-4 days... and then feel great in day 5-6.... and then you get hit in the face with a sack of bricks and go under for another 4-7 days.

this individual was 30 years old, worked out every day, non smoker, and had zero underlying conditions. He lost 17 lbs before getting to where he is now 13 days later (27/28 days after where he believes he was infected). 

this is not flu. And it is no joke. 

also to update: 1 of the people I know of who was okay is now ICU, and the one who was in ICU originally is now in kidney failure in a medically induced come (he was speaking yesterday). Both over 50.

on a better note, one of the cases i know of has (as of today) been feeling much better... less lung/chest pressure and feeling more “back to normal”.... I’m praying this isn’t what people around here are now calling “phantom recovery”.. she is a nurse who was on the lines working alongside my wife

Edited by Lambda

14 hours ago, Estil said:

I think what they mean is that the main problem by far with this virus is that it can spread just as if not more easily than the flu, not that it's "just like the flu”.

yes. This is nothing like flu, in any way. The R0 of flu is roughly 1.3 depending on who you ask (which is a given average). However the new novel coronavirus (SARS-COV-2), has an R0 of 2.5. Neither the infection nor the symptoms onset time mimic flu

Edited by Lambda
Clarity

4 hours ago, Estil said:

I think what they mean is that the main problem by far with this virus is that it can spread just as if not more easily than the flu, not that it's "just like the flu".

There has been a persistent . narrative from right wing radio personalities that this thing isn't the big deal people are making it out to be and "way more people die of the flu every year and we don't shut the country down for that".

One in particular is probably going to be beating that drum until he catches it and dies due to.his compounding factor of stage 4 lung cancer...

7 hours ago, Lambda said:

yes. This is nothing like flu, in any way. The R0 of flu is roughly 1.3 depending on who you ask (which is a given average). However the new novel coronavirus (SARS-COV-2), has an R0 of 2.5. Neither the infection nor the symptoms mimic flu

Just want to clarify this post. There are actually a lot of overlap between the symptoms of the typical flu and the SARS-Cov-2. The majority of the Covid19 have the exact same symptoms as the flu - fever, aches, sore throat, cough; and both can be self-limiting in that they can settle on their own with a typical healthy body. Where it differs is the Covid19 can progress to the severe form more readily and is associated with more pneumonia cases, which is the main association of an increased mortality. 

Social media tends to show all the severe cases and not the mild ones and this can lead to an overall false perception that all cases are serious. Some cases of Covid19 in fact, can be mild to asymptomatic.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 4:25 AM, Makar said:

Anyone here have corona or know someone who does?

Yeah I got it. I got tested positive yesterday. It started with a sore throat for and a slight fever a couple days after that. I was really hoping it was nothing. Then the chest pain started. I've been staying at home locked away from the world for a week. I honestly haven't been feeling too bad yet. The mornings have been a bit rough with chest pain but other than that it's been okay. I wanted to make sure it was Covid and not something in my head I was making up. Got tested and yep, I'm sick with it. It's been just over a week since the sore throat started

I'm pretty sure I got it from my brother. He was travelling in Italy for two months before the outbreak. He flew back to Canada the day before the country went on lockdown. Canada did not have any strict isolation protocols in effect yet and was allowed into the country much to easily. I picked him up from the airport and drove with him back to our city. He was in the worst hit part of Italy and then on a flight with two known infected passengers. He has no symptoms so the hospitals wouldn't test if he had it but has been staying locked away as a precaution.

On the plus side I've had some time to play video games lol. I've so far completed beyond good and evil as well as okami. Been playing some ps2. Next up is persona 3

• Thanks 2
  • Wow! 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MrPeaPod said:

Yeah I got it. I got tested positive yesterday. It started with a sore throat for and a slight fever a couple days after that. I was really hoping it was nothing. Then the chest pain started. I've been staying at home locked away from the world for a week. I honestly haven't been feeling too bad yet. The mornings have been a bit rough with chest pain but other than that it's been okay. I wanted to make sure it was Covid and not something in my head I was making up. Got tested and yep, I'm sick with it. It's been just over a week since the sore throat started

I'm pretty sure I got it from my brother. He was travelling in Italy for two months before the outbreak. He flew back to Canada the day before the country went on lockdown. Canada did not have any strict isolation protocols in effect yet and was allowed into the country much to easily. I picked him up from the airport and drove with him back to our city. He was in the worst hit part of Italy and then on a flight with two known infected passengers. He has no symptoms so the hospitals wouldn't test if he had it but has been staying locked away as a precaution.

On the plus side I've had some time to play video games lol. I've so far completed beyond good and evil as well as okami. Been playing some ps2. Next up is persona 3

Hope you start feeling better and have a smooth recovery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@MrPeaPodHope you feel better dude. Glad you played it safe and got checked. Hopefully it just goes away now and the worst is behind you.

I am really concerned for my dad. He is 55 and has both crohn's disease and the beginning stages of emphysema. To make matters worse my mother works in Mass General Hospital, the biggest and busiest hospital in Boston. Luckily she works in a pathology lab and not an ER or something, but she still travels through the hospital. I know if he gets this, it is going to be a disaster and it has me on edge because this is going to be around for months....

Edited by Magus
  • Like 1