IGNORED

Anyone Notice Sellers Here Are Flakey?

I’ve generally had a good experience here with buying and selling with maybe like 5% of people being awful to deal with or straight up not answering PMs to their own for sale threads. You can try and gauge with the feedback system but it’s not forced/or alerted on as a reminder so it’s hit or miss if people do it. Some people also treat VGS like eBay and expect you to exactly pay PC or GVN and in some cases even over it. I constantly need to remind people that selling here alleviates their need to pay eBay fees and they should pass that savings onto their buyer. I do the same when selling here.  

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

Define what you mean by a flaky experience. 🙂

So far between here and NA, at least for me, is years apart so it's probably not a fair comparison to some others.  But I found trying to sell or trade on here, largely, it just doesn't work even if you are a bit under ebay and elsewhere unless it's just a different enough item people will run to it.  Maybe people here just have largely what they want already, or they're wanting like 1/3 to 1/2 off off, I have no idea, not worth really arguing either.

It's why I didn't bother actively keeping a sales thread going here, and this year I put something new up just for trades along with a wttf/wtb list too and not yet one bite, but I didn't go into it expecting a world of difference.

But for those times I did make a sale or trade, no flakes, except one who got pretty bitter and I don't even remember nor care about the details anymore.  Largely things were friendly, smooth, no dragged out delays or email shenanigans either, it just worked and nicely.  So I'm really not sure what would be considered the flake thing here, the interested party or trying to get interest in the first place?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I've had almost exclusively good interactions here. You may just have been unlucky and hit a few inactive members in a row...I have had 4 or 5 times where there was a for sale/trade posting and the person just didn't respond to me, but most of the time they at least get back and say, "It's already sold." or "Your offers are not competitive." or whatever.  I do agree with @a3quit4s, people get way too stuck on pricecharting value sometimes (and completely disregard the value they're getting from not paying eBay fees/not having to deal with your "average" eBay buyer, etc.)...but as someone who is apathetic about selling games, I somewhat understand it - I hate selling my games, and my "For Offer" thread is really about trading, so maybe those people don't really want to sell their games, and they are just kind of testing the waters? I don't know...It is kind of tough with a relatively small community like this - there are lots of people looking for very specific ultra-rare and ultra high-quality (mint condition) items only...so that pretty much eliminates me as a trading partner with any of them since I don't really traffic in that kind of stuff.  But my advice would be to keep trying, there are lots of good people/active game traders (and sellers) on here!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Skip Rogers said:

The previous site maybe 10% of the time you'd run into a flake, but the experience here has been the opposite for me 90%. When I am able to purchase something, it's usually a very excellent. It's kind of a bummer.

I find it hard to believe 90% of transactions on here are flaking on you. Can you define what you mean by flaking?

Edited by Mega Tank
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

if it was within the last month, also remember that the original URL for the site doesn't currently work. not all members have migrated. on top of general holiday craziness of course.

If it's been more longstanding and with multiple sellers, then i feel for you. That hasn't been my experience here (or on NA) at all.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

If a for sale/buy thread hasn't been bumped in over a month I would check when that person last visited the site. If they haven't visited in a while (over a week) I would say the chances of a response is less likely. They may not have notifications on which allows them to get an email when someone messages them. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I’ll take the bait.

i could go on a rant but I’ll sum it up by saying 

On this forum there are flaky asshole sellers with no common curtesy who will waste your time.

No reply, get back door’d, sellers back out of deals….

I mean that's true of all marketplaces everywhere in the history of the world, so...

In general I've had a good experience here. I'm also never selling to actually make money, so I don't need to take risks, which helps immensely. I'm happy to cut people deals and work with them if they're a real contributor to the site.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I mean that's true of all marketplaces everywhere in the history of the world, so...

Soooo what? When asked, I I shouldn’t share the shitty experiences I’ve had with members here who blatantly disrespected me when I ask about items for sale? 

21 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

FTFY.

Was the op about every forum? I must had missed that part so thanks for correcting me.

• Confused 1

Before I make my point, I need those reading this to know that I have been dealing with flaky behavior for parts of the time I have tried to be a serious collector. 😩

I have experienced this with buyers, sellers, and even two grading companies. Heck, there were times I even had to deal with it from Sony themselves during my PS3 and PS4 days. So when I hear anybody make an accusation like this, I always hope they would offer authentic examples that justify said claims.

In this case, I had to look up the only examples @Skip Rogers has to offer. Which, in his case, are his two topics: This one and his "WTB" topic. And we all can see that he made an accusation on this one, but did not offer us any talking points. Which has @drxandy rightfully believe that this topic can be seen as a trigger. While Skip's other topic shows that 30 of his 32 (33 with his OP here) posts are bumps. The first was a WTB list and second was a thanks to @Mega Tank.

To be honest, I still believe that NA was a better source because it was around a whole lot longer than VGS has been (so far). But to call people flakes when the evidence shows that the OP made no public effort to interact with people here? That is an insult to those who would have liked to help if Skip did more than bump their own topic. And instead made a link that was connected to their signature, with that being an excuse to be part of this community.

I am not telling Skip how to do things. But I find it pretty insulting that Skip claims this site is 90% flaky when more than 90% of the post they have made are bumps. With only 1 post made being some form of a public interaction.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

NA was a better more active source.  I clearly remember a decade ago whatever the topic page depth was (50?) it usually had between 1 and 1 /2 pages of consistently updated sales threads at any given time as some pull down others would pop up in a rotation of sorts.  Here it's a fraction of it as is the variety.

But also a decade ago people did something you don't see much here now, caring about the community and showing it with a community discount to members.  I'm not saying it dead, but often you'd find prices that were pretty off what ebay paid was, not just off in respect to the fees between them and PP but more, a discount of sorts really.  That really isn't normal anymore, prices here I've often found match or at higher than something I could just straight up click on over on ebay, and with a OBO not too off the ask(here) easily could be a fair bit less.  Coupling the lower pool and lack of the old community discount practice, that may be a good reasoning of why it's more sketchy and less used.

Things just have changed, the cesspool of Halperins wet WATA dreams had had a ripple effect between the high end buyers pool down to the dude buying some loose average shape cart.  Everyone basically largely knows now, and they want to get the same higher coin or maybe make their mark doing the next potentially sustained high water mark due to more fear of missing out.  It wasn't a toxic environment then vs now, you could give more of a community price pardon because the fear wasn't there of someone taking advantage of the buyer for a good scalpin'.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2022 at 12:20 AM, Skip Rogers said:

The previous site maybe 10% of the time you'd run into a flake, but the experience here has been the opposite for me 90%. When I am able to purchase something, it's usually a very excellent. It's kind of a bummer.

Who are you?

This isn't eBay or Amazon; buying and selling is just a sidebar here.  Try and have some actual interactions with the community in other threads here and you'll be getting good deals in no time... 😉

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

NA was a better more active source. 

But also a decade ago people did something you don't see much here now, caring about the community and showing it with a community discount to members. 

Things just have changed, the cesspool of Halperins wet WATA dreams had had a ripple effect between the high end buyers pool down to the dude buying some loose average shape cart.  Everyone basically largely knows now, and they want to get the same higher coin or maybe make their mark doing the next potentially sustained high water mark due to more fear of missing out.  It wasn't a toxic environment then vs now, you could give more of a community price pardon because the fear wasn't there of someone taking advantage of the buyer for a good scalpin'.

fully agree, and that's not a knock on VGS.

anecdotally, a couple years ago i was selling some comic books in a facebook group. i was offering them below market value, as i was mostly interested in getting rid of them. a member messaged me, practically begged to get them for cheaper, he's been a fan forever and always wanted this whole run, etc. etc. i acquiesced and gave him a pretty steep discount. Like i said, i was mostly interested in getting rid of them, and they weren't high dollar books anyway. Sure, i'll help a dude out.  One week later, he reposts those exact books at twice my original asking price. Hope that $20 profit was worth it for him, but it sure soured me on the whole process.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 1

I haven't noticed any difference compared to other outlets like ebay / forums / social media.  Probably 5-10% of the population is flakey in some sense, either playing games in negotations, giving you a cold shoulder or misrepresenting items for sale.  Sometimes misrepresentation is from ignorance rather than maliciousness, but it can still affect the value of the item you're buying.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, B.A. said:

NA had a thread like this a couple times a year too.  It was always better in the past, no one does this or that anymore.  In 5 years someone will be say "remember how much better VGS was in 2021?"

That, and the perceived value of a lot of games has changed.

A game worth $20 back in the day, I can see someone cutting a deal for $10. The game is now worth $200. Is someone really going to let it go for $100? Probably not so much.

• Like 1

I get some great deals here including Dracula X and Super Turrican 2 for I think $160 each. But like Tulpa said, the market has been different the last couple years and it's been a seller's market. I regularly see stuff sell higher on FB listings than ebay. 

But the market is turning and the tax change should cause a material change in selling habits. 

• Like 2