IGNORED

Anyone Notice Sellers Here Are Flakey?

Events Team · Posted

I am more of a flaky buyer.  I'm always kicking tires.  

31 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

That, and the perceived value of a lot of games has changed.

And this is the reason why.  I have no real concept of current value.  I did the bulk of my collecting in the late 90s and early oughts.  

"Ooh.  I don't know...  $35 is pretty spendy for that Mega Man 5.  Can you knock it down a couple bucks?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I haven't noticed people being particularly flakey here compared to other avenues like Facebook, generally if I get a reply at all here it's pretty smooth (and people are understanding about life stuff getting in the way.) I have a similar perception that way back on NA when I was collecting there were more "good deals" to be had - but buying/selling wasn't as hot of a market as it is today. I'd love to cut people good deals, the problem with selling vs trading is these days even if I buy a lot of games I'm probably paying close to retail on each game because of the current market. Once you factor in fees and taxes (I haven't  been tracking every single game I buy/sell) there really isn't much room to cut deals unless you're willing to lose money on a deal. I'm going to be moving more towards trading for this exact reason. In fact, I am sitting on a bunch of duplicates because I made mistakes with my collection tracking and  bought some twice - a couple at the 250+ mark - and selling them now even at PC value comes out to a loss. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Californication said:

But the market is turning and the tax change should cause a material change in selling habits. 

That part I agree with entirely and I'm curious to see how it shakes out over the next few months into next year when the stragglers are caught blind with 1099Ks.

Personally online I'm trade only, if I have to sell it'll be a last case scenario and mindful of the cap as I'd rather save it to deal with swapping change to cover shipping or a few bucks off a trade to be fair.  Locally I've offloaded quite a bit at a big dip to resale (half price) than deal with the online shenanigans and tax issue.  I do have a business owner a mile away I'm more than customer/less than a friend with.  He does consignment, considering on some stuff of value worth my time having him deal with it at a 25% cut as it pays in cash.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

That part I agree with entirely and I'm curious to see how it shakes out over the next few months into next year when the stragglers are caught blind with 1099Ks.

Personally online I'm trade only, if I have to sell it'll be a last case scenario and mindful of the cap as I'd rather save it to deal with swapping change to cover shipping or a few bucks off a trade to be fair.  Locally I've offloaded quite a bit at a big dip to resale (half price) than deal with the online shenanigans and tax issue.  I do have a business owner a mile away I'm more than customer/less than a friend with.  He does consignment, considering on some stuff of value worth my time having him deal with it at a 25% cut as it pays in cash.

Agreed. And I'd also say I feel comfortable using friends and family with established members here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

17 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Ops post reads like “Im disapointed I cant buy low here to flip on ebay”

There are still tons of hook ups going on, between OG’s.  But we also know and trust each other. 

That's not what I said at all friend. I'll dumb it down further for you: I want to give money to people, who said they wanted money for games. But when I offer money for games, they go off to think about it indefinitely. So, and to smarten things up a bit and maybe you'll be able grasp it: I think they're looking at their prices and comparing them to eBay, to see if they should charge me more on the fly as opposed to spending the time to update their prices beforehand.

It looks like some other responses I've received are similarly braindead replies. So let me further dissect: "But we also know and trust each other." This site is designed for the preexisting club and newbs aren't allowed to play in any reindeer games. Ok then.

Mods feel free to delete.

Edited by Skip Rogers
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Skip Rogers said:

That's not what I said at all friend. I'll dumb it down further for you: I want to give money to people, who said they wanted money for games. But when I offer money for games, they go off to think about it indefinitely. So, and to smarten things up a bit and maybe you'll be able grasp it: I think they're looking at their prices and comparing them to eBay, to see if they should charge me more on the fly as opposed to spending the time to update their prices beforehand.

It looks like some other responses I've received are similarly braindead replies. So let me further dissect: "But we also know and trust each other." This site is designed for the preexisting club and newbs aren't allowed to play in any reindeer games. Ok then.

I think you’re missing some of the friendly banter going on. You made a thread with a new account and not really explaining what you mean by “flakey” so it’s only fair for people to question your angle/motive.

Some of the responses have pretty much nailed it though. That is, it’s not so much VGS that contains flakiness as compared with NA, but it’s more that the current market is rising but also too damn unstable. With the market the way it is, there is bound to be more greed, arguments and disagreements on the prices/offers. I’m pretty sure you could say the same about Facebook groups and other relevant forums - there is a general rise in price, and with that, a rise in flakiness.

3 hours ago, Skip Rogers said:

I want to give money to people, who said they wanted money for games. But when I offer money for games, they go off to think about it indefinitely.

Is this your definition of flaking?

1. Do they reply at all or do they disappear into the abyss? 

2. Do you follow up with them at all?

3. Did you come to an agreement on price with the seller and they just never gave you details for payment?

4. Are you offering 50% of an asking price?

There's so many different things that could happen in a transaction. You can describe situations without giving names, but so far this one sentence I've quoted you on is all that you have given. Pretty weak complaint so far.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mega Tank said:

There's so many different things that could happen in a transaction. You can describe situations without giving names, but so far this one sentence I've quoted you on is all that you have given. Pretty weak complaint so far.

Yep.  Either here or on NA, I've never once run into anyone who didn't take me up on my offer as soon as I said "I'll give you your asking price for the item you're offering, just tell me how to pay you."  Really sounds to me like he's been dealing with inactive members versus any true maliciousness on anyone's part.  To paraphrase what someone said earlier in this thread, life happens.  Some folks make it back, some don't.  The site proper has also been down (thanks to Google) for a month or more at this point, so if those transaction attempts have (primarily) occurred within that window, that's on OP for not understanding that versus various sellers who haven't yet figured out that it's still possible to access the site.

• Like 2

I've had a ton of great transactions with folks here and on NA back in the day! I haven't noticed any significant issues, apart from one guy who said he wanted some N64 games from me and then totally ghosted. But he wasn't a regular so eh? What are you gonna do?

My only MAIN problem is people NOT BUYING MY CHEAP GAMESZZZ FOR L@@K!!!! LOW LOW PRICES!!11!!!!11 L@@K!!!!

kimonooptout.png.90cd0e512721117592b9a15117fd7aa2.png

Come on down fellas, the water's warm and the getting is GUD!!! Every N64 cart officially blessed by ME, @OptOut!!! 😘

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Murray said:

I only buy from skinny. His eye for quality is second to none. 

1F4193A7-D039-49CB-BAEA-DEEA0D3D0FD7.jpeg

I know this is a joke but I’m vouching for skinny having bought a lot from him. His thread always states the games are in terrible condition even though they really aren’t. Now have I gotten my games delivered in Cheez It boxes? Hell yes! But they are always well packed. A+ seller that needs to find more SNES so we can roll the deals some more

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Skip Rogers said:

Thats not how you make friends. Maybe they didn't want to sell after you talked to them like that.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Skip Rogers said:

I still can't understand. Can you dumb it down further bc it still seems like you're just saying what @MrWunderfulsays but with more words. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Skip Rogers said:

Could you dumb it down more for me? As someone who’s bought and sold games online for 15 years across multiple sites I obviously have no idea what I’m talking about, so I’d like to hear it from an expert as yourself. 

But before you educate me/us, we need more info, like the sellers post/rep count, amount asked for item, and amount offered. 

Although before we go, I will say I have never understood the desire to complain about the way people sell things. In the less than 1% of thousands of transactions  that have been flaky, if someone doesn’t respond to me in a decent amount of time I just move on to the next item. It’s a sellers loss, nowadays with the market the way it is. They probably need that money a lot more than I need their game. 

• Like 1

NintendoAge was amazing, I never had a bad experience there both selling or buying. I don't know how much of this community has carried over (other than the obvious OG/vet users). It's absolutely a seller's market at this time and between all the scams going down anyway, it doesn't surprise me that a higher percentage takes place here than before.

WITH THAT SAID...it might also depend upon what you're looking for, as some products are more prone to BS and scammy behavior than others.

Edited by NostalgicMachine

Events Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Skip Rogers said:

I think they're looking at their prices and comparing them to eBay, to see if they should charge me more on the fly as opposed to spending the time to update their prices beforehand.

Unfortunately, this straight up happens.  But I've had nothing but great experiences with the regulars.  

The following reply is from a recent inquiry about 4 or 5 different games from the same seller.  One was on hold for someone offline.  Radio silence ever since.

aVLDL4a.jpg

@a3quit4s maaaaan thank you! That made my day, No joke. Lil Debbie boxes and alias sender names, that may get you into a dilemma with your wife, are my signature 🙂 

All you guys that regularly deal with me I’m extremely thankful for.

@DoctorEncore @darkchylde28 I got triggered a bit because I really try to provide fair deals and treat people respectfully. Responding in a timely manner and just communicating respectfully while being completely transparent with the status of an item. I believe this for any sale and Especially here (I always try to make it a good deal or throw in a cheap extra) because it is like minded individuals that I enjoy interacting with. And a lot of you take me with my lumps and all. I understand not everyone I deal with will treat me the same way. I play on fb marketplace and have been apart of some bs when trying to buy. and here old members , new, active or otherwise people seem to through manners out the window.

• Agree 1