IGNORED

Anyone Else Really Enjoy Mega Man 6?

NostalgicMachine

i played through the first 7 mega man games over the last month, and Mega Man 4 was my favorite (I've always loved the charge shot). MM6 was up there though. The new uses of Rush were neat. fun level design and interesting boss characters. Definitely a step back up after 5 (which wasn't bad, but didn't really add much to the gameplay, so felt like "more of the same").

Mega Man 7, on the other hand, was fucking terrible. big sprites means that the screen feels zoomed in. the music and sound effects were all changed and sounded too kiddie. most levels are chock full of spike and one-hit deaths (the cheapest kind). i did like that it rewarded exploration some, but since the levels weren't very fun, it's kind of a moot point. 

4-3-6-2-5-1----------------------------------7

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

i played through the first 7 mega man games over the last month, and Mega Man 4 was my favorite (I've always loved the charge shot). MM6 was up there though. The new uses of Rush were neat. fun level design and interesting boss characters. Definitely a step back up after 5 (which wasn't bad, but didn't really add much to the gameplay, so felt like "more of the same").

Mega Man 7, on the other hand, was fucking terrible. big sprites means that the screen feels zoomed in. the music and sound effects were all changed and sounded too kiddie. most levels are chock full of spike and one-hit deaths (the cheapest kind). i did like that it rewarded exploration some, but since the levels weren't very fun, it's kind of a moot point. 

4-3-6-2-5-1----------------------------------7

Maybe it’s just nostalgia or bias, but MM7 is my favorite out of the first seven games. It has always puzzled me that there are people that don’t like it 🤔

Edited by phart010
  • Confused 2

I never minded MM7 it seemed balanced well enough, but I can get the cramped bit, not by it directly, but indirectly over another using the engine... Megaman & Bass, not the SFC release which is awesome and very playable/enjoyable, but the crap copy on the GBA.  Nothing says stupid like keeping the same sprite sizes, but shrinking the terrain, in particular the blocked off boss rooms in a system with a lower resolution.  The game is utterly infuriating.  So, knowing that, I can see how someone coming off teeny 8bit MM could be bugged by the larger 16bit style one.

22 hours ago, NostalgicMachine said:

MM7 never did too much for me, unfortunately. I was always much more interested in X by that point on the SNES.

Anyone else enjoy Mega Man Soccer?

Not surprisingly, I do like Mega Man Soccer and the Mega Man X games. Really like the music, the Super Shots, and customizing the teams in Mega Man Soccer. My only complaints are that the ending can't be viewed without hacking, and Dr. Wily can't be unlocked in the Exhibition Mode since the ending normally doesn't play and so beating the game unlocks nothing.

I remember in the mid/late 90's, I couldn't find Mega Man Soccer or Mega Man X3 anywhere except one rental store. I rented Mega Man Soccer a few times, but I don't remember renting Mega Man X3 (I did rent the first two at a different store, though). However, the store went out of business in 2000/2001 so I bought both games (and other SNES games) which cost $10 each. They included the box, inserts, and rental cases, but no manuals. I played them both regularly until 2003 or so. Unfortunately I sold both games over a decade ago along with the Saturn version of Mega Man 8 (which was an eBay purchase), not knowing they would eventually become valuable collector's items (complete, anyway). I still have the rental cases for Mega Man Soccer and Mega Man X3: 

mmsoccerandmmx3cases.jpg.747d56650e63a71acc3dd4ee10418b4e.jpg

I at least still have my original copy of Mega Man 8 that I've had for over 20 years, as well as Mega Man X Collection for GameCube (which I re-bought ten years ago, a little before the prices went up):

mm8andmmxc.jpg.e81f31a9dd527cbb32551c075b5e4f54.jpg

Still kind of miss having Mega Man Soccer and Mega Man X3 for my SNES, and miss battling Cutman and Woodman in the Saturn version of Mega Man 8. I'll get all three of 'em again someday.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Love 1

I don't like the other X games either, GBC one is ok though but it's largely MMX scaled down.  MM6 is just unique with how they did things, and we should be grateful Nintendo decided to publish that since Capcom wussed out.  With that red banner (box top) set of re-releases, re-issues(no tyson punchout), and new stuff like Kirby and MM6 it got a good showing as a companion piece for the NES2/toploader.

4 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I don't like the other X games either, GBC one is ok though but it's largely MMX scaled down.  MM6 is just unique with how they did things, and we should be grateful Nintendo decided to publish that since Capcom wussed out.  With that red banner (box top) set of re-releases, re-issues(no tyson punchout), and new stuff like Kirby and MM6 it got a good showing as a companion piece for the NES2/toploader.

When did Nintendo start doing the top red banner for all NES games?

2 minutes ago, Estil said:

When did Nintendo start doing the top red banner for all NES games?

I don't think there's a clear answer.  I do believe there was a very intended influence though that ties back to the Nintendo Power coloring system to differentiate things.  NES got RED and SNES got purple.

Nintendo seemed to have used the red top around 1992-94 era.  Originally it seemed to start with it also in larger print below saying CLASSIC SERIES on the 2 gray Zelda cart boxes, Metroid as well.  It dropped that with others like Dr Mario and Punchout.  It was just those 4 games in 1992 (Z1, Z2, PO!!, Metroid) but in 1993 that classic bit was dropped(maybe 92?) when others got the banner alone.  There is one outlier, Dr Mario is a 1990 game and uses that banner too, so they clearly had the art before hand but didn't press using it until after the SNES release.

Other companies did it too by choice, and seems about the same area post-SNES launch.  Ninja Gaiden III uses it, Dragon Warrior IV, but slightly earlier stuff in 1992 like Super Spy Hunter and Dragon Warrior III do not, while later 1992 does like Jetsons.  I really just think it was choice because even later than 1992 some games like Batman ROTJ and Returns didn't bother.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 7:10 PM, Tanooki said:

I never minded MM7 it seemed balanced well enough, but I can get the cramped bit, not by it directly, but indirectly over another using the engine... Megaman & Bass, not the SFC release which is awesome and very playable/enjoyable, but the crap copy on the GBA.  Nothing says stupid like keeping the same sprite sizes, but shrinking the terrain, in particular the blocked off boss rooms in a system with a lower resolution.  The game is utterly infuriating.  So, knowing that, I can see how someone coming off teeny 8bit MM could be bugged by the larger 16bit style one.

Oh no, you haven't seen "cramped" or "teeny" until you play the GB MegaMen!  At first it may seem pretty much the same as playing the NES MegaMan in black and white (or "creamed spinach color" as Sega/Game Gear liked to say) but for very obvious reasons it's gonna be MUCH harder than their NES counterparts.

6 hours ago, Estil said:

Oh no, you haven't seen "cramped" or "teeny" until you play the GB MegaMen!  At first it may seem pretty much the same as playing the NES MegaMan in black and white (or "creamed spinach color" as Sega/Game Gear liked to say) but for very obvious reasons it's gonna be MUCH harder than their NES counterparts.

They're scaled slightly better, the GB 5 at least, the GBC Xtreme games have oversized bosses too which blows as the stages work ok.  I owned 6/7 of those, do not have Xtreme 2 on GBC.

20 minutes ago, cartman said:

Is that an outlier opinion to enjoy MM6? I mean it's not like it's worlds apart from the other entries so chances are if you like one you'll like all too some degree no?

I believe the common view is that 6 is the same as the rest, so it gets overlooked and undervalued. Most people will say 4-6 are all the same/prefer the first three. I've always preferred 4-6!

I'd argue 6 is as much like 4-5 as it is a taste of what was coming with mega man x really.  Diverted paths, extra gear, and so on...it's a sum of some added parts to create a unique whole that's a bridge between those 2 styles of game.   I'd dare call it cheapening the game liking it to the past games really trying it up too conveniently in a package with 4+5.

4 hours ago, Van Jackson said:

I believe the common view is that 6 is the same as the rest, so it gets overlooked and undervalued. Most people will say 4-6 are all the same/prefer the first three. I've always preferred 4-6!

Yeah perhaps. Usually when people have a favorite i've noticed it tends to be 2.