IGNORED

Anyone Else Really Enjoy Mega Man 6?

NostalgicMachine

I don't know what it is, but I'm finding myself with a new found fondness for late-release NES titles. Maybes it's the improved graphics/animations, sound, control, etc. - stuff like Kiryb's Adventure, TMNT III, Little Samson, and of course Mega Man 6.

I'm finding myself obsessed with the gameplay in MM6 as of late. Anyone else enjoy this often-overlooked entry? I don't blame people for being burned out (remember that Mega Man 2 is overrated thread I made years ago on NA? LOL).

I've also recently reacquired a top loader.

Discuss!

MM6 at least has by far the best visual presentation of any classic Mega Man game. It really looks super good.

It's probably in the lower half if I need to rank the NES Mega Man games, but that doesn't mean it's not a really great game. The only game in the NES series I don't consider truly up to par is the first one (and even that is still a really good game).

Honestly, every Mega Man game since 3 is "often-overlooked". at least compared to how weirdly prolific Mega Man 2 is.
4 is my own clear favourite, it's just so well designed in every way.

Edited by Sumez

10 minutes ago, Nostalgic_Machine said:

Good to know this game gets love here!

In 1994 I lived a couple blocks away from a video game store and so on the day we celebrated my b-day I took the gift money I had received straight there and the clerk (who I had a cool-bro crush on) recommended it. I had a SNES at home already but he was adamant I should get Mega Man 6 even if it was for the old NES. I really thought he was the coolest guy around so I took his advice and bought the game at a whopping CAD $119 + taxes. 

He was right about the game tho. I played it for hours on end and it became my favorite in the series on the NES.

edit: Michel if you're reading this, thanks again!

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

In 1994 I lived a couple blocks away from a video game store and so on the day we celebrated my b-day I took the gift money I had received straight there and the clerk (who I had a cool-bro crush on) recommended it. I had a SNES at home already but he was adamant I should get Mega Man 6 even if it was for the old NES. I really thought he was the coolest guy around so I took his advice and bought the game at a whopping CAD $119 + taxes. 

He was right about the game tho. I played it for hours on end and it became my favorite in the series on the NES.

That's an amazing story! WOW it was really $119 CAD in '94? I can see them charging MAYBE $49.99 brand new here in the states, but that's nuts! On a side note, I remember first seeing a top loading NES around '94 and not knowing what the hell it was. Mega Man 6 all the way!

8 minutes ago, MagusSmurf said:

3>2>4>6>5>1

Replayed them all this year. 3 is closer to 5 than 5 is to 1. MM2-6 are probably all top 100 NES games.

Interesting that there seems to be such a consensus on 5 being the worst of the NES games that's not 1.

I think the thing with 5 is that it's a tad too easy. They throw 1-ups at you. The power ups aren't as fun, but you can wreck the game rather quickly. I'm not a fan of collecting the letters, either. The first Mega Man is still by far the most challenging IMHO. Mega Man 2 is the easiest.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I got mm6 for Christmas and played it for at least three days straight. My mom put it in the stocking that year and that sucker was cellophane fresh! Super Nintendo had been out for a couple years at this point but I was still putting in time with SMB3, TLOZ, mm3, excitebike, xexyz, little Nemo, Astyanax….so when a new game like mm6 entered the rotation it took the top spot for a while.

mm3 was my first love in the series though followed by 4. Both rentals I would ride my bike about three miles each way to grab. This is after scrapping together the $3. Then played with one of my lifetime best friends since 4 years old. So ya 3 and 4 are close to the heart and high on nostalgia. 

and I rank them:

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

12 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I got mm6 for Christmas and played it for at least three days straight. My mom put it in the stocking that year and that sucker was cellophane fresh! Super Nintendo had been out for a couple years at this point but I was still putting in time with SMB3, TLOZ, mm3, excitebike, xexyz, little Nemo, Astyanax….so when a new game like mm6 entered the rotation it took the top spot for a while.

mm3 was my first love in the series though followed by 4. Both rentals I would ride my bike about three miles each way to grab. This is after scrapping together the $3. Then played with one of my lifetime best friends since 4 years old. So ya 3 and 4 are close to the heart and high on nostalgia. 

and I rank them:

Another awesome memory! There's just something about the latter three games; especially 4 and 6. The gameplay is timeless.

• Like 1

Yes, I like all of the Mega Man games for the NES/Famicom (even Rockboard). Mega Man 5 happens to be my favorite game in the series (I mentioned several reasons why on NintendoAge), though I think 4, 5, and 6 all deserve more recognition and respect.

Mega Man 2 is a good game, don't get me wrong, but people praise and talk about it way too much. Almost everytime a news article appears about a retro Mega Man game, it's about Mega Man 2. Almost everytime someone makes a Mega Man hack/homebrew, it's based on Mega Man 2. Mega Man 9 and 10 were obviously made for the Mega Man 2 nostalgia crowd, going as far as removing Mega Man's Mega Buster and slide (and MM10 having areas that tease players and make them think that Mega Man can still slide). The only Mega Man game on the NES Classic is Mega Man 2, which is unfortunate because that game has been re-released more than any other game in the series (it would've made more sense to include Mega Man 1...you know, the game that actually started the series and made Mega Man 2 possible). Mega Man 2 this, Mega Man 2 that. It's not the only good game in the series, nor is it the only one worth talking about. At least Mega Man 11 brings back the Mega Buster and slide.

I remember your Mega Man 2 is overrated topic on NintendoAge. Indeed, the game is overrated. As for Mega Man 6, I still have my original copy with the box and manual that I've had since 1995. Bought it for a mere $5. I also have the issue of Nintendo Power that features Mega Man 6, as well as a drawing of the Mega Man 6 box art.

mm6nes.jpg.fb6ec4336a5386b4cf2240121313a7a2.jpg

mm6np.jpg.64d65d349db434d957abf3e71234a4aa.jpg

mm6picture.jpg.aad6234cb2cb5daa84579f048a1c0104.jpg

A great finale for the NES.

Also, I bought the Japanese version of Mega Man 4 at my local game store a few months ago: 

rockman4.jpg.f1e6fe2fdb019eccf9ddcbf4cc13d49c.jpg

rockman4screen.jpg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

Yes, I like all of the Mega Man games for the NES/Famicom (even Rockboard). Mega Man 5 happens to be my favorite game in the series (I mentioned several reasons why on NintendoAge), though I think 4, 5, and 6 deserve more recognition and respect.

Mega Man 2 is a good game, don't get me wrong, but people praise and talk about it way too much. Almost everytime a news article appears about a retro Mega Man game, it's about Mega Man 2. Almost everytime someone makes a Mega Man hack/homebrew, it's based on Mega Man 2. Mega Man 9 and 10 were obviously made for the Mega Man 2 nostalgia crowd, going as far as removing Mega Man's Mega Buster and slide (and MM10 having areas that tease players and make them think that Mega Man can still slide). The only Mega Man game on the NES Classic is Mega Man 2, which is unfortunate because that game has been re-released more than any other game in the series (it would've made more sense to include Mega Man 1...you know, the game that actually started the series and made Mega Man 2 possible). Mega Man 2 this, Mega Man 2 that. It's not the only good game in the series, nor is it the only one worth talking about.

I remember your Mega Man 2 is overrated topic on NintendoAge. Indeed, the game is overrated. As for Mega Man 6, I still have my original copy with the box and manual that I've had since 1995. Bought it for a mere $5. I also have the issue of Nintendo Power that features Mega Man 6, as well as a drawing of the Mega Man 6 box art.

mm6nes.jpg.fb6ec4336a5386b4cf2240121313a7a2.jpg

mm6np.jpg.64d65d349db434d957abf3e71234a4aa.jpg

mm6picture.jpg.aad6234cb2cb5daa84579f048a1c0104.jpg

A great finale for the NES.

Also, I bought the Japanese version of Mega Man 4 at my local game store a few months ago: 

rockman4.jpg.f1e6fe2fdb019eccf9ddcbf4cc13d49c.jpg

rockman4screen.jpg

You may have just won the thread, sir.

Was that $5 brand new back in 1995? Stores liquidating NES stuff by then I'd assume? AMAZING!!!

16 minutes ago, NostalgicMachine said:

You may have just won the thread, sir.

Was that $5 brand new back in 1995? Stores liquidating NES stuff by then I'd assume? AMAZING!!!

Nah, I bought it at a store I used to rent NES games at. I remember seeing the game at Wal-Mart the year before for $60 (Canadian). Being a former rental, it's not in the greatest condition but for just $5 I didn't hesitate to buy it. I'm glad I kept it all these years, and It still works great.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1