IGNORED

Anyone Else Really Enjoy Mega Man 6?

NostalgicMachine

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ahh yeah when I wrote that earlier I wasn't remembering as it has been ages, but yeah the i-frame obviousness is when you get the missed hits on a boss.

I really should put time into some of my old gems of games and relearn a few or something.  MM isn't too rotten I mean seriously, you have passwords, not like we didn't abuse the hell out of them as kids...3 tries maybe +1 off a pickup, clear stage, maybe get another...game over, more lives, go go finish.

My issue I never ever remember the boss order, I kept an old Nintendo Power gimme they handed out one year with an early 90s looking dude on the front looks like something from saved by the bell era.  I'd put all my passwords, then most useful NP codes and what not, and of course MM boss orders.  I still have the thing too.

I totally write the boss order down in my small daily carry notebook.

11 hours ago, NostalgicMachine said:

I totally write the boss order down in my small daily carry notebook.

It's pretty much a must.  My old notes are cheesy I did them large, tried to use pen or pencil to kind of copy what the title logo looked like on stuff.  I should pull it out for laughs and snap some pics. 😄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

It's pretty much a must.  My old notes are cheesy I did them large, tried to use pen or pencil to kind of copy what the title logo looked like on stuff.  I should pull it out for laughs and snap some pics. 😄

The only difference now, is I'll take a quick pic of the password screen with my phone LOL.

1 minute ago, NostalgicMachine said:

The only difference now, is I'll take a quick pic of the password screen with my phone LOL.

I did that last time I tried out Faxanadu and River City Random because their passwords are the devils work and the reason why later stuff dropped similar letters and numbers that confused so many passwords into restarts.

Just now, Tanooki said:

I did that last time I tried out Faxanadu and River City Random because their passwords are the devils work and the reason why later stuff dropped similar letters and numbers that confused so many passwords into restarts.

Correct. I also write exclusively in caps, so that was a nightmare as a kid. MEMORIES.

• Haha 1

MM5 has great visuals and music, but what always held it back for me was the lack of need to use special weapons, like, at all during levels. You just use them for bosses. One of my favorite parts about MM6 is the branching paths you can take through several levels once you have the Rush upgrades. Stupid little things like that add a TON of replay value for me.

Nice job, image and grabbed game.

I rounded out Mega Man years ago thankfully before it got stupid as gifts or buys 2-5 in real time, 1+6 in the SNES/64 era.  That said though the GB games I never really bothered much other than the first few.  It was just in the last 5 years or so I got the last one MM5 locally, cheap lot with a few games, it was one, dropped $50 I think which was a deal on that one already due to its semi-scarcity compared to the others and unique nature of the game.

Yeah, I don't know why MM5 is so much more expensive than all the other NES entires; it's going for approx $120. 4 and 6 are in the $50 range which I feel is fair. They held their value! Are people really that all about 5 that it drove the price up that high, or am I missing something? Just popularity?

I think it's lower total carts.  MM6 Capcom rejected due to the year to bring out themselves.  Nintendo thinking it was a poor excuse picked up the game and released it themselves around the days of the top loader on the market with various games being pumped back out with the red banner up top along with that star tropics sequel too.  They pumped out quite a lot of copies of those gems as a line onto itself almost to help push the top loader well into the SNES life as a cheaper alternative which worked for a time.  MM6 as such surely had more copies made.

The only MM5 that should be expensive not that it's fair per say is the Gameboy one.  100% unique game with no NES bones to it as the other 4 were hybrid robot master rosters from 2 NES titles in each game, similar stages largely just adapted, but some little new bits here and there too.  MM5 GB though was 100% fresh and even supported Super Gameboy colors and border.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I think it's lower total carts.  MM6 Capcom rejected due to the year to bring out themselves.  Nintendo thinking it was a poor excuse picked up the game and released it themselves around the days of the top loader on the market with various games being pumped back out with the red banner up top along with that star tropics sequel too.  They pumped out quite a lot of copies of those gems as a line onto itself almost to help push the top loader well into the SNES life as a cheaper alternative which worked for a time.  MM6 as such surely had more copies made.

The only MM5 that should be expensive not that it's fair per say is the Gameboy one.  100% unique game with no NES bones to it as the other 4 were hybrid robot master rosters from 2 NES titles in each game, similar stages largely just adapted, but some little new bits here and there too.  MM5 GB though was 100% fresh and even supported Super Gameboy colors and border.

This would make sense, actually. Also they totally did a second run of Metroid and LoZ on grey carts in '93, so that does add up. Less carts makes total sense!

On 12/10/2021 at 1:47 PM, Estil said:

The graphics for the "back three" MegaMen are among the best you'll ever find on NES...and that sizzling sun in MM6's TomahawkMan's stage is a very nice touch 🙂  I also love the colorful stars in MM5's StarMan's stage and the way the Robot Master intros are done in MM4. 

And I seriously doubt your granny/grandma would send you a check ending in x9.95.  Still, let's say your granny did send you a check for $50...isn't this neat NES top loader or MegaMan 6 or StarTrophics 2 a lot better deal than having to watch wind(?) commercials or mommy soaps? 😄 

And by golly you better call and thank granny! 😄 

Well I sure thanked my grandma for the $100 she gave me so I could have my mame/arcade equipped OG Xbox in time for Christmas!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Estil said:

Oh you can do that online?  I didn't even know...and to think you don't even need a roll of quarters! 😄 

Yes, and it was the coolest thing ever back in 2004. I remember being a big part of the MK community back then, modding a large forum. What a time to be active on the internet!

On 12/18/2021 at 1:52 AM, Tanooki said:

MM6 was only released in Japan and the US though. Being an import exclusive, the US version is much more sought after, so if it's the cheaper game overall I doubt it's going to stay that way.

• Like 1

I wasn't factoring in the PAL regions as they're really not relevant.  They had their own games the US didn't get either like the PALCOM pop outs like Parodius and Crackout.  That doesn't make them grossly expensive.  MM6 had a pretty decent sized run in the US more than MM5 did.  Japan is its own thing, they ran with the Famicom until like after 2000 so there's lots to go by there with spread too.  The only area MM6 would be more sought out, is your area, because it was excluded.  Yet in the big picture, aside from Bergsala, Europe kind of middle fingered Nintendo either kissing Sega ass console side, but largely sticking to gaming/computers like the ZX Spectrum, Sinclair, Amiga, etc.

• Like 1