IGNORED

Anyone Else Really Enjoy Mega Man 6?

NostalgicMachine

MM6 is awesome. They reprised the classic awesome MM gameplay formula, while adding a couple new features such as the alternate paths in 4 of the robot master levels (for the BEAT letters) as well as the new Rush functionality. Typical great graphics, and some of the soundtracks on it are favorites of mine. I too have owned it since I was a kid when it came out.

I agree, there are a lot of great games on the back end of the NES timeframe.

MM4 is also my favorite...The later 3 MM games are easily as good as 2 & 3 I think, if not better. The nostalgia bias that a lot of people have for 2 & 3 cannot be erased unfortunately, since those came out at the peak of the NES lifespan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strikezone1 said:

MM6 is awesome. They reprised the classic awesome MM gameplay formula, while adding a couple new features such as the alternate paths in 4 of the robot master levels (for the BEAT letters) as well as the new Rush functionality. Typical great graphics, and some of the soundtracks on it are favorites of mine. I too have owned it since I was a kid when it came out.

I agree, there are a lot of great games on the back end of the NES timeframe.

MM4 is also my favorite...The later 3 MM games are easily as good as 2 & 3 I think, if not better. The nostalgia bias that a lot of people have for 2 & 3 cannot be erased unfortunately, since those came out at the peak of the NES lifespan.

Wow, we think alike! It's great to see the later three games getting so much love for once. As another user stated, it's usually blind MM2 praise with no alternate discussion allowed. I think half the reason so many people like MM2 is because it's arguably the easiest to complete, so it feels complete. Most people don't want to put in the effort on 3, 4, etc. where there's arguably more challenge because no Metal Blade.

To each their own; I just love 4 and 6, especially on the top loader! It's like it's 1994 all over again.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NostalgicMachine said:

Wow, we think alike! It's great to see the later three games getting so much love for once. As another user stated, it's usually blind MM2 praise with no alternate discussion allowed. I think half the reason so many people like MM2 is because it's arguably the easiest to complete, so it feels complete. Most people don't want to put in the effort on 3, 4, etc. where there's arguably more challenge because no Metal Blade.

To each their own; I just love 4 and 6, especially on the top loader! It's like it's 1994 all over again.

Agree. MM2 is certainly easy to beat by NES difficulty standards, even on difficult setting. Heck, it is one of the few NES games I was actually able to beat back in the day as an 8-9yo kid. It's an awesome game too, just not "indisputably the best MM game" like some people like to claim.

• Like 1

The graphics for the "back three" MegaMen are among the best you'll ever find on NES...and that sizzling sun in MM6's TomahawkMan's stage is a very nice touch 🙂  I also love the colorful stars in MM5's StarMan's stage and the way the Robot Master intros are done in MM4. 

And I seriously doubt your granny/grandma would send you a check ending in x9.95.  Still, let's say your granny did send you a check for $50...isn't this neat NES top loader or MegaMan 6 or StarTrophics 2 a lot better deal than having to watch wind(?) commercials or mommy soaps? 😄 

And by golly you better call and thank granny! 😄 

Edited by Estil
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

Nah, I bought it at a store I used to rent NES games at. I remember seeing the game at Wal-Mart the year before for $60 (Canadian). Being a former rental, it's not in the greatest condition but for just $5 I didn't hesitate to buy it. I'm glad I kept it all these years, and It still works great.

I actually got mine brand new for $10, probably in '96 or so. Kay-Bee Toy Store had a bunch of first-party games they were clearing out, all for $10 each. Besides MM6, I also got Star Tropics 1 & 2, Yoshi, Wario's Woods, Kirby's Adventure, and Classic Series Zelda II and Metroid. Wish I still had that stuff 😐

• Like 1

IMO, Mega Man 6 is the best when it comes to NES style graphics (5 comes close though), enemy-robot master/ level aesthetic (really like  how each stage is a different country), weapons usefulness (everything has a use, nothing is really garbage), level design (the least amount "you wouldn't know on your first time" sort of stuff), and most of the music (fortress stage themes are a little weak). The only thing worth complaining about is you can't jump when you're mid-slide (MM4's issue of eating weapon charge inputs and MM5's issue of not being able to charge while sliding are more annoying for me). 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
5 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

The sound of the m buster charged does get lame though lol

Charging the buster is the worst mechanic for the series and the main reason why the OG trilogy is better than the back 3.

I never use it unless I have to.  3 shots is the same damage and quicker to fire.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Charging the buster is the worst mechanic for the series and the main reason why the OG trilogy is better than the back 3.

I never use it unless I have to.  3 shots is the same damage and quicker to fire.  

I have to agree. The charge shot is not my thing. I enjoy 4 and 6 but 3 is ahead of them by a lot gameplay wise. 4,6 are so nostalgic for me they trump 2 and 1. Plus 2 is so overrated it just gets bumped down for no fault of its own. Lol

im with you though, best part of mega man for me is laying down some fire with the p buster!

4 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Mega Man 3 was so bad everyone stopped playing Mega Man games.

I'm just curious what your thoughts are on MM3? I'm not a fan boi by any means, you just usually hear full blast praise for 2 and 3.

4 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I have to agree. The charge shot is not my thing. I enjoy 4 and 6 but 3 is ahead of them by a lot gameplay wise. 4,6 are so nostalgic for me they trump 2 and 1. Plus 2 is so overrated it just gets bumped down for no fault of its own. Lol

im with you though, best part of mega man for me is laying down some fire with the p buster!

I just don't use the charge shot, as dumb as it sounds. I don't even think about it, lol. At least the option to not use it is there, and the games play very similarly to the first three in that respect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AverageOliver98 said:

IMO, Mega Man 6 is the best when it comes to NES style graphics (5 comes close though), enemy-robot master/ level aesthetic (really like  how each stage is a different country), weapons usefulness (everything has a use, nothing is really garbage), level design (the least amount "you wouldn't know on your first time" sort of stuff), and most of the music (fortress stage themes are a little weak). The only thing worth complaining about is you can't jump when you're mid-slide (MM4's issue of eating weapon charge inputs and MM5's issue of not being able to charge while sliding are more annoying for me). 

I admit the no jump out of slide kind of sucks. I love the level and sub boss designs, though. They're my fave in the classic series. It's funny how inconsistent some of those elements are across all of the games. 4 and 6 just click with me!

7 hours ago, Estil said:

The graphics for the "back three" MegaMen are among the best you'll ever find on NES...and that sizzling sun in MM6's TomahawkMan's stage is a very nice touch 🙂  I also love the colorful stars in MM5's StarMan's stage and the way the Robot Master intros are done in MM4. 

And I seriously doubt your granny/grandma would send you a check ending in x9.95.  Still, let's say your granny did send you a check for $50...isn't this neat NES top loader or MegaMan 6 or StarTrophics 2 a lot better deal than having to watch wind(?) commercials or mommy soaps? 😄 

And by golly you better call and thank granny! 😄 

I agree with the sun detail in Tomahawk stage. Holy hell that commercial is gold! I own both those games, lol! I love the space themes in MM5 as well. 4 is just all around great!

5 hours ago, NostalgicMachine said:

I'm just curious what your thoughts are on MM3? I'm not a fan boi by any means, you just usually hear full blast praise for 2 and 3.

It runs like trash and is full of filler. The Doc Robot stages are painfully filler. The exact Proto man miniboss is used like 4-5 times? The slowdown is brutal! It’s still a good game despite that it feels like duct tape is holding it together, but sure isn’t my favorite.

I love MM2 like everyone else. It’s easy as balls but who cares. So is SMB2 or Rescue Rangers or Jackal or 100 beloved NES games. 

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

It runs like trash and is full of filler. The Doc Robot stages are painfully filler. The exact Proto man miniboss is used like 4-5 times? It’s still a good game despite that it feels like duct tape is holding it together, but sure isn’t my favorite.

I love MM2 like everyone else. It’s easy as balls but who cares. So is SMB2 or Rescue Rangers or Jackal or 100 beloved NES games. 

Lmao I totally agree!

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

That’s a good point. Still, it’s funny that your argument for justifying loving mm2 is a list of shitty nes games that a lot of people like. 

On 12/10/2021 at 1:47 PM, cj_robot said:

I actually got mine brand new for $10, probably in '96 or so. Kay-Bee Toy Store had a bunch of first-party games they were clearing out, all for $10 each. Besides MM6, I also got Star Tropics 1 & 2, Yoshi, Wario's Woods, Kirby's Adventure, and Classic Series Zelda II and Metroid. Wish I still had that stuff 😐

I believe that. I got Kirby's Adventure for $10 at a Real Canadian Superstore in 1995, the same year I got Mega Man 6.

6 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

I believe that. I got Kirby's Adventure for $10 at a Real Canadian Superstore in 1995, the same year I got Mega Man 6.

I totally got Kirby's Adventure CIB at a yard sale in like, 1997 for $5.

Also - MAN do MM2 and 3 play like crap after playing 4, 5, and 6 long enough.

• Angry 1
  • Disagree 1