IGNORED

Anyone Else Really Enjoy Mega Man 6?

NostalgicMachine

4 hours ago, Estil said:

At page 6 in the manual, that is the most pathetic attempt at a disguise EVER!

Dude, even in the intro to the game itself it's obvious, lol. At least with MM4 you're able to believe it truly is a new villain until the very end. The animations in 6 are stellar.

4 hours ago, asmikace said:

Any Mega Man Game on the NES is awesome, even thought the first one has its issues that got refined in later games. 

Gotta love that HIGH SCORE! 😎

Edited by NostalgicMachine

I totally get how, objectively speaking and through the lens of today, MM6 is best of series. It's the most advanced and developed iteration on the formula. Every lesson the dev team, concept/ artist /prgrammer /composer /etc could take from 5 previous games (plus Game Boy versions) as well as MMC chip and dev kit advances to improve the console technology, provided a huge advantage. 

10 hours ago, NostalgicMachine said:

I'm at Wiley's Castle! I mean, Mr. X's Castle! 😎

Do you mean the other way around? This is why I don't know Mega Man 6, and I'll wager a lot of us GenX-Millenial hybrid / Oregon Trail generation felt the same: I bought MM4 (cartridge only) at the time from my best friend for $40. And I was really disappointed with the game and I felt ripped off. 1) Surprise! Dr. Cossack was really just Dr. Wily in disguise? Same old shit? Lame! This, honestly, was the first time I became disappointed in a series (of any pop culture medium).

2) everything else was otherwise also the same old thing. Series of robot masters and weapons, gadgets, then castle... Again, same old stuff. Also, I've never really appreciated collectible pieces in stages like the letters. That always felt very gimmicky and 4th-wall breaking to me.

So. I get how MM6 is great, in hindsight. But for slightly older gamers, I hope it makes sense why we more highly revere the earlier games which we had in their time, and disregard the later works. But I hope you all enjoy it, and don't let it be said that I haven't wanted to explore the game after much reading, including prior (on NA) and current mentions by the OP @NostalgicMachine

26 minutes ago, Link said:

I totally get how, objectively speaking and through the lens of today, MM6 is best of series. It's the most advanced and developed iteration on the formula. Every lesson the dev team, concept/ artist /prgrammer /composer /etc could take from 5 previous games (plus Game Boy versions) as well as MMC chip and dev kit advances to improve the console technology, provided a huge advantage. 

Do you mean the other way around? This is why I don't know Mega Man 6, and I'll wager a lot of us GenX-Millenial hybrid / Oregon Trail generation felt the same: I bought MM4 (cartridge only) at the time from my best friend for $40. And I was really disappointed with the game and I felt ripped off. 1) Surprise! Dr. Cossack was really just Dr. Wily in disguise? Same old shit? Lame! This, honestly, was the first time I became disappointed in a series (of any pop culture medium).

2) everything else was otherwise also the same old thing. Series of robot masters and weapons, gadgets, then castle... Again, same old stuff. Also, I've never really appreciated collectible pieces in stages like the letters. That always felt very gimmicky and 4th-wall breaking to me.

So. I get how MM6 is great, in hindsight. But for slightly older gamers, I hope it makes sense why we more highly revere the earlier games which we had in their time, and disregard the later works. But I hope you all enjoy it, and don't let it be said that I haven't wanted to explore the game after much reading, including prior (on NA) and current mentions by the OP @NostalgicMachine

You're arguing story as a basis for being bored, though; I'm all about the gameplay aspect. In that regard, every game has improved since 2. Who cares about the story? Peach gets stolen by Bowser, and Zelda via Ganon, every single game.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:47 PM, MagusSmurf said:

Interesting that there seems to be such a consensus on 5 being the worst of the NES games that's not 1.

It's not that 5 is bad, ideally it's one I'd like as much as the rest. But there's something about a few of the stages in the game that doesn't click for me as well as the other games, and they feel somewhat annoying to play - Namely some of the Darkman stages.

When it comes to the quality of individual Mega Man titles it really comes down to the stages and how fun they are to play, as that's the primary difference between the games. 4 is my favourite because every stage in that game is just really enjoyable, without any obstacles that stop you in your path and try to frustrate you. This is the point in the series where Capcom finally figured out no one enjoys memorizing a long stretch of yoku blocks (if only someone had told Inti Creates that). Even the trash compactors can mostly be zoomed by.
So yeah, to me 5 just has more overall misses than 2, 3, 4, and 6. And 2 is probably the most uneven one. It has some really fun stages, but it also has garbage like quick man and wily-4.

On 12/10/2021 at 11:12 PM, DefaultGen said:

Mega Man 3 was so bad everyone stopped playing Mega Man games.

Some times man, you're just the king of hot takes 😆

Edited by Sumez

20 minutes ago, NostalgicMachine said:

You're arguing story as a basis for being bored, though; I'm all about the gameplay aspect. In that regard, every game has improved since 2. Who cares about the story? Peach gets stolen by Bowser, and Zelda via Ganon, every single game.

Yeah, MM6 pretty much owned the "hurh it's just Dr. Wily again" trope up-front and had fun with it. I require nothing else from a Mega Man game. MMX5 forward shows what happens when you try to build actual lore with a series of Mega Man games - it just becomes a stupid hot mess.

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Yeah, MM6 pretty much owned the "hurh it's just Dr. Wily again" trope up-front and had fun with it. I require nothing else from a Mega Man game. MMX5 forward shows what happens when you try to build actual lore with a series of Mega Man games - it just becomes a stupid hot mess.

Now that I agree with. I tap out after X4 or so. There's so many spin-offs and sub-series, it's a mess. Classic and X are all I need. Fire up that NES!

So these are the reasons why Mega Man 5 is my favorite game in the series, most of which I also posted on NintendoAge: 

-Rush Coil is different. It may not be as good, but it's nice that they tried something different

-Rush Marine was removed. This is good, in my opinion, because it is basically useless in every game it's been in (except Mega Man II for Game Boy) because Rush Jet works underwater. Also, there aren't very many underwater stages in these games (Mega Man 5 literally only has one)

-Beat was introduced, and he's very useful in certain levels as well as the final battle

-Each level has a fun gimmick, like the second elevator in Gyro Man's stage where you have to avoid spikes while riding the elevator to the next area, the spinning platforms and hidden rooms in Stone Man's stage, and changing gravity in Gravity Man's stage

-While not surprising at all since the game was released in 1992, the graphics are some of the best of the NES Mega Man games. Only Mega Man 6's graphics can compare.

-The soundtrack is underrated. The music fits in each stage almost perfectly

-The sound effect for shooting a charged shot is unique, and sounds really cool. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate actually uses this sound effect for Mega Man's charged shots

In my opinion, the only real flaws Mega Man 5 has are that there's only one music track per fortress (instead of a new music track after two stages like Mega Man 3 and 4) and that there's an enemy near the end of stage 1 of Protoman's fortress that does basically nothing (it just circles around Mega Man). These flaws are minor, though.

However, as I said on the first page, Mega Man 4-6 all deserve more recognition and respect.

Edited by MegaMan52

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

What are we talking about here?

It's a unit of time in a game where your character can not take damage.  Various games have them depending on what's going on.  As simple as an attack animation in a game, taking a hit (not just your traditional hit flicker flicker stuff exactly), and other moments of time where a potentially super brief to decent length of time process happens in a game where you should take a hit but don't because of that.

In Nintendo/Cygames Dragalia Lost mobile game, a few people who care a bit too much committing hours a day, maybe whaling too, they've learned over 300+ characters the animations various ones have where you can take to do your special 1, 2 etc attacks and time it just right to where the motion kicks in as a nasty to death dealing blow comes along and you can i-frame through it being immune to getting whacked.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

It's a unit of time in a game where your character can not take damage.  Various games have them depending on what's going on.  As simple as an attack animation in a game, taking a hit (not just your traditional hit flicker flicker stuff exactly), and other moments of time where a potentially super brief to decent length of time process happens in a game where you should take a hit but don't because of that.

In Nintendo/Cygames Dragalia Lost mobile game, a few people who care a bit too much committing hours a day, maybe whaling too, they've learned over 300+ characters the animations various ones have where you can take to do your special 1, 2 etc attacks and time it just right to where the motion kicks in as a nasty to death dealing blow comes along and you can i-frame through it being immune to getting whacked.

Sometimes I'll intentionally take a hit, so I can cross a more dangerous area like spikes/tons of enemies blocking a path easily.

Does that count?

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

So am I to assume there is some i-frame when charging/firing the buster?  I'm confused as to why this was brought up. 

The i-frames come into play on the bosses. You can continuously shoot lemons into a boss in MM4 (or any MM with the charge shot), but not every single one will damage it (fire 5 shots in 1-2 seconds, bosses only take 1 point of damage). In the time you get about 2-3 damage hits on a boss normally, you could have simply just charged and fired a shot. Normal enemies/mid-bosses i-frames aren't the same though so button-mash away on them (some enemies do take 4-5 normal shots over 1 charged shot).

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, AverageOliver98 said:

The i-frames come into play on the bosses. You can continuously shoot lemons into a boss in MM4 (or any MM with the charge shot), but not every single one will damage it (fire 5 shots in 1-2 seconds, bosses only take 1 point of damage). In the time you get about 2-3 damage hits on a boss normally, you could have simply just charged and fired a shot. Normal enemies/mid-bosses i-frames aren't the same though so button-mash away on them (some enemies do take 4-5 normal shots over 1 charged shot).

Aha!  Thanks for the clarification.  As I mentioned, I only use the charge as needed.  Def hate it when you can't just pour bullets into the enemy. 

Same. For as much as MM4 is my favourite of the NES games, the charged buster shot is also my least favourite aspect of the series - in MM4, 5 and 6 as well as the X games, and the Zero series especially.

I don't mind charging it periodically when fighting a robot master, but to maintain an advantage, you should always keep a charged shot as you move around, so the next shot you fire at an enemy will do extra damage. The issue with that is that you'll be maneuvering and jumping around while constantly holding a button, which is uncomfortable, and makes an annoying sound on top. It really doesn't add any enjoyment to the games, as opposed to the MM3 slide which is super satisfying to use.

Mega Man 4 is the best Mega Man(!) not because of the charge shot, but in spite of it. Fortunately the advantage to using it isn't very great in this game, and pretty much all minibosses can be effectively wailed on with your regular peashots if you desire.

10 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

So am I to assume there is some i-frame when charging/firing the buster?  I'm confused as to why this was brought up. 

It's been explained, but yeah basically if enemies flicker and are invincible after taking a hit, then shooting 3 lemons might not be fast than a charged shot because the 2nd lemon won't actually do damage.

• Like 1

Ahh yeah when I wrote that earlier I wasn't remembering as it has been ages, but yeah the i-frame obviousness is when you get the missed hits on a boss.

I really should put time into some of my old gems of games and relearn a few or something.  MM isn't too rotten I mean seriously, you have passwords, not like we didn't abuse the hell out of them as kids...3 tries maybe +1 off a pickup, clear stage, maybe get another...game over, more lives, go go finish.

My issue I never ever remember the boss order, I kept an old Nintendo Power gimme they handed out one year with an early 90s looking dude on the front looks like something from saved by the bell era.  I'd put all my passwords, then most useful NP codes and what not, and of course MM boss orders.  I still have the thing too.

• Like 1