IGNORED

Movie Debate #97: Aliens

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

It's a 10 for me.  I feel like this is when James Cameron cemented himself as a force.  "How could anyone possibly improve on the original"....  James Cameron, "hold my beer".

Where do I even begin.....  how they got Ripley to go back to the planet, the sleezeball character from Mad About You, Bill Paxton's "game over man", Bishop being one of the coolest androids ever, the soundtrack, the action, the weapons, the final battle with the Queen after you thought the movie was over, Ripley being the baddest female action hero EVER, I can go on and on.

One of my all time favorites.

170425-leon-bill-paxton-aliens-tease_vwhlqb.jpg

Edited by tbone3969
  • Like 3

rated it a 9. If i had watched when i was younger, i'd very likely have this as a perfect 10. i didn't have a lot of exposure to the Alien franchise as a child/teen, and it wasn't until i was an adult that i made it a priority to watch them. I loved them, especially 1 and 2. Like @DoctorEncoresaid, an excellent Action sequel to a phenomenal Horror movie. Not unlike the first 2 Terminator films.

• Like 2

I love this movie.  It's difficult to decide whether I prefer this movie or the original.  They are such different movies, you almost can't compare them.  But at the end of the day, I think I prefer the action of the 2nd to the suspense and horror of the first.  Both are great movies and the best of the franchise.  While I definitely rank the other movies lower, I still find they are enjoyable enough to watch.  

Edit:  To clarify, when I

say franchise, I'm just referring to the Alien specific movies and not including the AVP movies, which based on Prometheus, I don't believe can be considered canon anyway.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 2

I also just want to say that I love the Alien series as a whole. I really like the wild swings in tone and the willingness to throw something like Prometheus out there. Sure, there are some low points, but every movie has character. I'll take the bad Alien movies over the (many) bad Star Wars movies any day.

17 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Some fly-by-night middling scores.  Come on guys, debate!

Screenshot_20211122-151754.png

I don't know. It was ok. Not something I'd go out of my way to watch. You can't deny that it's definitely left a mark on sci-fi, but it's just not one I love. I don't hate the series, it's just not something I ever cared to see more than once.

Edited by RH

I always go back and forth between this or Alien which I like better. I know when I was a kid this was one of my favorite movies but over time I've appreciated the original more. Right in this moment of probably give the edge to the first one but this is also probably one of the best movie sequels of all time. I'd rate it between a 9 and 10. Ultimately gave it a 9, but it's pretty close to being perfect.

• Like 3