IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Pools

BeaIank

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't get the relevance of your reference: Old Yeller is a dog who was shot for being too sick to survive; how am I Old Yeller?  Can you explain your post to me as if I was a 5 year old 🙂

let it die, as in, why drag it on, but that is ok, i understand you weren't originally saying anything, but it will be fixed with guill's ruling.  In other words, don't dredge up the past!

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I believe @guillavoie is going to be catching up so he can moderate in here in a bit. Let's give him some time to digest what's gone on and see what he thinks is ideal. I'd say he has carte blanche on how he deals with the situation, tbh.

Fair... I shall await his arbitration and say no more 🙂

12 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I believe @guillavoie is going to be catching up so he can moderate in here in a bit. Let's give him some time to digest what's gone on and see what he thinks is ideal. I'd say he has carte blanche on how he deals with the situation, tbh.

Only one way to solve er’ Videomation tie breaker!

• Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
27 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

i finished the tournament via youtube kuz i didn't know it was ongoing 😉  Was a blast to watch the new technique that has come into play!

I wish Jonas was alive to have seen it too. He would be so proud of those kids bringing Tetris to a whole new level after he dominated it for so long.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

I wish Jonas was alive to have seen it too. He would be so proud of those kids bringing Tetris to a whole new level after he dominated it for so long.

Jonas was such a smart and elegant player. DAS requires such care with the stacking, piece placement, knowing when to burn, etc. because of how damn hard it is to get pieces over once you hit level 19. I consider DAS an art that I still love to watch.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

Everyone's real thoughts on how the contests go is very relevant. Those who agree with you, and those who disagree. For something like this to succeed, we need to be all having fun. When people aren't having fun, whether it's because they disagree with the rules, or the games aren't fun, or really ANY reason, it's best for it to be brought up.

The issue here honestly, reading back, is that you've been abrasive about it, and perhaps a tad too blunt. Bea and Guil work HARD on this behind the scenes, I've seen it, and they're NUTS for doing it. But we appreciate these nuts. 

I'd suggest taking a step back, re-evaluate your approach, and maybe come back with a new outlook. I'd encourage you to consider that they DO work hard - coming up with 32 games is NOT an easy feat, ESPECIALLY when picking out of 1500 or so games, AND with a decade of past contests to consider. These guys have learned over that time and the rules, while never "perfect" for everyone, are very much tailored to the group.

Maybe we need to regroup on our approach. I can acknowledge that, and I promise you so can Bea and Guil. But it's not gonna happen on the back of personal attacks. Remember too that there's been a whole-ass pandemic going on and everything. Life's been hell for some people and being negative at volunteers isn't helping.

So I'd ask you to please just step away and try coming back when you're ready to be constructive without attacking.

And to any who agree with him about rules, or anything else, I say speak up. But keep the above in mind. My memory sucks, but I believe we usually do a post-mortem feedback thread at the end of the year don't we? If not, we probably can/should. We're OPEN to feedback, we're NOT open to personal attacks. It's that simple.

Here is my suggestion. Lets make this round 2 weeks. 3 blackbox sports games pairs well with xmas music and theres too much to enjoy on what would now be, kind of, a short week with all the craziness here. 

@JamesRobot, can I get a rule change?!

Edit: wait, the rule change thing is @Murrays thing, I think. @Murray, can I get a rule change!? James can still be included as well

Edited by NESfiend
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Oh, and I scored a miracle 2-0 win against CP5 in Soccer, so I'm done with that game for the week... 😛

Did you knock off Tennis yet? I couldn't get a better Soccer score than 1-0. I'll probably get to Golf tomorrow or Wednesday.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

26 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did you knock off Tennis yet? I couldn't get a better Soccer score than 1-0. I'll probably get to Golf tomorrow or Wednesday.

I tried Tennis and the Skill 4 guy handed me my ass, so I'm leaving that one for later since it's not going to be the easy lay-up I thought it was.  Just played a round of Golf and ended at +17 😞   Lots and lots of work to do....

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I tried Tennis and the Skill 4 guy handed me my ass, so I'm leaving that one for later since it's not going to be the easy lay-up I thought it was.  Just played a round of Golf and ended at +17 😞   Lots and lots of work to do....

There is a big jump between level 3 and 4 on Tennis. You should try level 5 for fun. It takes forever just to win a game.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Wow, I just ended a round and got +3, one off my personal best.  You have a LOT of work to do man...

Events Team · Posted

Okay ladies and gentlemen, I just reviewed the whole situation and I'm ready to give what I think is the most fair arbitration I could think of to solve the situation in the best interest of everyone involved here.

First, about @the_wizard_666 not having his full screen in his pictures : ALL his scores are still valid, including his scores in the tournament that got called out. While the writing of the rules are made to be hyper strict, common sense always guided the arbitration of this contest in a case to case manner. We accepted tons of partial screenshots in the past based on the common sense knowledge that the submission setup was easily recognizable. The Wiz's 195,900 score stands.

Now let's get on the most complicated problem of this whole situation. The end time of this year's contests being set by Brazil time. First off, I know for sure Bea did this for some reasons, but mainly because it is part of her host personality to make things to her image, and we all appreciate that. We know for sure it was mainly for fun as the time set at first was midnight in Brazil, so it could fit with our usual 11:00 PM EST time (which IS the official VGS time) which have been our contests' end time standard for more than a decade.

Now, I'll be plainly frank here, I personally think that the idea of the end time of the contests doesn't follow with DST and suddenly change to 10:00 EST because of that is absolutely nonsensical, especially since the contests have ended on 11:00 PM EST for so LONG!

But let's play the game that this was in the rules so if you don't read them correctly every week (despite being the same piece of writing every damn week that shouldn't account for any major changes) than you can be in the wrong.

For one, the change of the contest ending time from 11:00 EST to 10:00 EST was such an important change that it should have been mentioned in a totally exaggerated fashion. This thing warranted a special treatment in the rules, like using 72 pt font in red, underlined in bold characters with a million exclamation points following. This change being not given any kind of advertising puts any mistake made regarding it on us, 100 %. Not only that, but we have a history of being very reasonable on accepting slightly late submissions in the past.

The times that we were highly strict on the ending for submission was when the late submission in question would land in the top positions on the leaderboard, which brings me to reevaluate the Holy Diver week's rankings. @PIIand @NESfiend both made late submission within the 10:00-11:00 EST frame, cause they thought that the ending was still 11:00 EST. They were basically just told 'Brasilia time doesn't follow DST so your score is invalid'. I take the liberty here to weight in on this, even weeks after the fact, to accept these scores as valid for two main reasons, and that, even if it gives that week's victory to Pii. 1. The complete lack of warning from us that the ending time was affected by the DST not being applied in Brasilia time. 2. Because it is, without a doubt, the most excusable error I have ever seen in the history of the contest to make a late submission. We will do whatever changes needed to rectify this on the geral leaderboard, the good news being that it wouldn't have affected the rankings for the tournament's spots.

Now, you guys and gals probably understand what this means for the arbitration of @bertsampson's score in this first week of the tournament, right? Given that bert was truly unaware of the ending time change (in EST, which was not highlighted in any shape or form by us), we will accept his 7 minutes late submission since it was posted before the 'old standard' ending time of 11:00 EST. So, bert's 200,830 score is valid.

One would think that since both The Wiz and bert's scores are valid, bert is the one advancing to next round and Mike gets eliminated. But this is not what I will propose, for the following reason. As I have reasonable doubt that The Wiz could have hypothetically reacted to bert's 200,850 score posted at 10:07 EST, and would have the chance to make a higher score given some plausible circumstances, I just cannot eliminating him on these premises as it would be unfair.

So exceptionally, and because of these very unusual circumstances adding up to one another, both bert and The Wiz are permitted to play in the second round of the tournament along with the other 7 winners of round 1. But, there's a twist in order to not make it unfair to those 7 other players. Only one of them will be able to advance to the final round, which means that round 2 will also play as an extension of round 1 for them. If both of them end up being in the 4 best scores for round 2, only the best ranked of them will pass and the 5th rank player will earn the 4th spot for the final.

I hope this solution will make everyone happy and willing to resume the competition for the 2021 tournament, despite these unusual circumstances.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

Okay ladies and gentlemen, I just reviewed the whole situation and I'm ready to give what I think his the most fair arbitration I could think of to solve the situation in the best interest of everyone involved here.

First, about @the_wizard_666 not having his full screen in his pictures : ALL his scores are still valid, including his scores in the tournament that got called out. While the writing of the rules are made to be hyper strict, common sense always guided the arbitration of this contest in a case to case manner. We accepted tons of partial screenshots in the past based on the common sense knowledge that the submission setup was easily recognizable. The Wiz's 195,900 score stands.

Now let's get on the most complicated problem of this whole situation. The end time of this year's contests being set by Brazil time. First off, I know for sure Bea did this for some reasons, but mainly because it is part of her host personality to make things to her image, and we all appreciate that. We know for sure it was mainly for fun as the time set at first was midnight in Brazil, so it could fit with our usual 11:00 PM EST time (which IS the official VGS time) which have been our contests' end time standard for more than a decade.

Now, I'll be plainly frank here, I personally think that the idea of the end time of the contests doesn't follow with DST and suddenly change to 10:00 EST because of that is absolutely nonsensical, especially since the contests have ended on 11:00 PM EST for so LONG!

But let's play the game that this was in the rules so if you don't read them correctly every week (despite being the same piece of writing every damn week that shouldn't account for any major changes) than you can be in the wrong.

For one, the change of the contest ending time from 11:00 EST to 10:00 EST was such an important change that it should have been mentioned in a totally exaggerated fashion. This thing warranted a special treatment in the rules, like using 72 pt font in red, underlined in bold characters with a million exclamation points following. This change being not given any kind of advertising puts any mistake made regarding it on us, 100 %. Not only that, but we have a history of being very reasonable on accepting slightly late submissions in the past.

The times that we were highly strict on the ending for submission was when the late submission in question would land in the top positions on the leaderboard, which brings me to reevaluate the Holy Diver week's rankings. @PIIand @NESfiend both made late submission within the 10:00-11:00 EST frame, cause they thought that the ending was still 11:00 EST. They were basically just told 'Brasilia time doesn't follow DST so your score is invalid'. I take the liberty here to weight in on this, even weeks after the fact, to accept these scores as valid for two main reasons, and that, even if it gives that week's victory to Pii. 1. The complete lack of warning from us that the ending time was affected by the DST not being applied in Brasilia time. 2. Because it is, without a doubt, the most excusable error I have ever seen in the history of the contest to make a late submission. We will do whatever changes needed to rectify this on the geral leaderboard, the good news being that it wouldn't have affected the rankings for the tournament's spots.

Now, you guys and gals probably understand what this means for the arbitration of @bertsampson's score in this first week of the tournament, right? Given that bert was truly unaware of the ending time change (in EST, which was not highlighted in any shape or form by us), we will accept his 7 minutes late submission since it was posted before the 'old standard' ending time of 11:00 EST. So, bert's 200,830 score is valid.

One would think that since both The Wiz and bert's scores are valid, bert is the one advancing to next round and Mike gets eliminated. But this is not what I will propose, for the following reason. As I have reasonable doubt that The Wiz could have hypothetically reacted to bert's 200,850 score posted at 10:07 EST, and would have the chance to make a higher score given some plausible circumstances, I just cannot eliminating him on these premises as it would be unfair.

So exceptionally, and because of these very unusual circumstances adding up to one another, both bert and The Wiz are permitted to play in the second round of the tournament along with the other 7 winners of round 1. But, there's a twist in order to not make it unfair to those 7 other players. Only one of them will be able to advance to the final round, which means that round 2 will also play as an extension of round 1 for them. If both of them end up being in the 4 best scores for round 2, only the best ranked of them will pass and the 5th rank player will earn the 4th spot for the final.

I hope this solution will make everyone happy and willing to resume the competition for the 2021 tournament, despite these unusual circumstances.

Can you go ahead and run for judge in Missouri? Well reasoned 

• Haha 2

Events Team · Posted

I also take the time to add that while this whole situation brought up some heated arguments and posts from some of the players, both Bea and I aren't taking it on a personal level. While there was indeed some abrasiveness in the tone of some of the posts, I can 100 % guarantee that a lot of the criticism and constructive comments will be taken in account when we will prepare and host next year's season. We value every players and their contribution to the contest, and this incident is something that we should construct upon to try to work for the contest in a constant betterment pattern, adjusting to what the players want and propose.

In short, you guys still all rock!

• Like 3