IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Pools

BeaIank

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Not every, but most that aren't older arcade ports or the rare exception such as Adventure Island.

And so we find ourselves in a contest that is a decade or so old, replaying the same crappy arcade ports over and over again. Best case being we're all masters at Galaga now, but new people never join. Worst case, it just collapses in on itself cuz everyone is bored.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Anyway, I'm done.  I've said my piece, and whether y'all agree or disagree is irrelevant.

Everyone's real thoughts on how the contests go is very relevant. Those who agree with you, and those who disagree. For something like this to succeed, we need to be all having fun. When people aren't having fun, whether it's because they disagree with the rules, or the games aren't fun, or really ANY reason, it's best for it to be brought up.

The issue here honestly, reading back, is that you've been abrasive about it, and perhaps a tad too blunt. Bea and Guil work HARD on this behind the scenes, I've seen it, and they're NUTS for doing it. But we appreciate these nuts. 

I'd suggest taking a step back, re-evaluate your approach, and maybe come back with a new outlook. I'd encourage you to consider that they DO work hard - coming up with 32 games is NOT an easy feat, ESPECIALLY when picking out of 1500 or so games, AND with a decade of past contests to consider. These guys have learned over that time and the rules, while never "perfect" for everyone, are very much tailored to the group.

Maybe we need to regroup on our approach. I can acknowledge that, and I promise you so can Bea and Guil. But it's not gonna happen on the back of personal attacks. Remember too that there's been a whole-ass pandemic going on and everything. Life's been hell for some people and being negative at volunteers isn't helping.

So I'd ask you to please just step away and try coming back when you're ready to be constructive without attacking.

And to any who agree with him about rules, or anything else, I say speak up. But keep the above in mind. My memory sucks, but I believe we usually do a post-mortem feedback thread at the end of the year don't we? If not, we probably can/should. We're OPEN to feedback, we're NOT open to personal attacks. It's that simple.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

@Gloves Dude, you're 100% right.  I do apologize for my abrasiveness, and I truly do appreciate the work that is being done.  I have no personal animosities toward @BeaIank, @guillavoie, or anyone else involved.  I think a big part is that this was simply the tipping point, and everything that I've held back in the interest of not hurting feelings just kinda blew up.  I love that the contest exists, and frankly it's the only part of the board that I frequent anymore, which is why I'm so passionate about it in the first place.  I'm definitely willing to work with the team instead of against them. 

23 minutes ago, Gloves said:

And so we find ourselves in a contest that is a decade or so old, replaying the same crappy arcade ports over and over again. Best case being we're all masters at Galaga now, but new people never join. Worst case, it just collapses in on itself cuz everyone is bored.

So we can all be me from 2012 until now? You know I like NES arcade ports and won the Galaga contest this year right? 😂

Events Team · Posted
28 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Batman on NES is a fun game. It has a scoring system. You can sit in one place early on and just mash the punch button for infinite points. Can't play Batman without "convoluted rules".

Repeat ad nauseum for basically every NES game.

Which is why people speed run it instead of playing for score.

Anyway, it is almost 10 pm, started at 7 am I stopped working about now. Fuck it was all I had available with the time I got before I had to go deal with work matters. And I can't even know if tomorrow won't be like this again. I didn't have time to run this tournament but I still trying to.
For now I will just abide to whatever decision @guillavoiecomes with and run the next round in whatever spare time I can muster.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Events Helper · Posted
7 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Anyway, it is almost 10 pm, started at 7 am I stopped working about now. Fuck it was all I had available with the time I got before I had to go deal with work matters. And I can't even know if tomorrow won't be like this again. I didn't have time to run this tournament but I still trying to.
For now I will just abide to whatever decision @guillavoiecomes with and run the next round in whatever spare time I can muster.

Shall i join you next season?  😏  Don't wanna put any pressure on @Bearcat-Doug and make him cry......I can help anytime you need!!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Times are tough for everyone these days Bea. Take care. Not worth getting stressed over NES games.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Times are tough for everyone these days Bea. Take care. Not worth getting stressed over NES games.

I'm all for giving people second chances in real life, but letting people back into an elimination tournament who got beat out kinda bugs me since I spent like 12 hours of my life killing wolves last week, but whatever.  I guess if one of the guys who lost Round 1 wins the tourney, I'll just consider him to be a FAKE winner in my heart... 😛

Will those of us who won Round 1 get a mulligan as well if we don't get into Round 3?  This just opened up a whole new can o' worms...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm all for giving people second chances in real life, but letting people back into an elimination tournament who got beat out kinda bugs me since I spent like 12 hours of my life killing wolves last week, but whatever.  I guess if one of the guys who lost Round 1 wins the tourney, I'll just consider him to be a FAKE winner in my heart... 😛

Will those of us who won Round 1 get a mulligan as well if we don't get into Round 2?  This just opened up a whole new can o' worms...

Get Over It Doctor GIF by Hospital Show

LwBs0am.gif?noredirect

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

If you wanted to err on the side of caution/forgiveness, letting both wiz and bert advance is a much better and fairer solution to everyone...

Sorry, but people who were beat out of Round 1 shouldn't be magically back in just to punish people for too much drama...

I believe @guillavoie is going to be catching up so he can moderate in here in a bit. Let's give him some time to digest what's gone on and see what he thinks is ideal. I'd say he has carte blanche on how he deals with the situation, tbh.

• Like 2

Just now, Gloves said:

I believe @guillavoie is going to be catching up so he can moderate in here in a bit. Let's give him some time to digest what's gone on and see what he thinks is ideal. I'd say he has carte blanche on how he deals with the situation, tbh.

I had the highest Challenger score so you can just declare me the 2021 champion and call it a day. Just want to make things easy for you guys.