IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Pools

BeaIank

7 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

Oh, and BTW, the most ironic fact about the ending time being set at midnight Brasilia time, is that if we truly followed what time was actually stated in the rules, all the contests would have ended on the Saturday 11:00 EST.

I never wanted to mention that since it's uber geeky, but yes: "midnight Sunday" is technically the beginning of Sunday, not the end.

Anyway, thanks for chiming in on this dumpster fire and setting things right.  I consider your arbitration to be the best possible solution available and I hope we can all get back to just playing the games 🙂

And @the_wizard_666, I improved my best score to +6 just now 😛   I know you rage-quit before, but please reconsider and play round 2...

@guillavoie: just for clarification's sake, am I to understand that the 1 v 1 bracketing is over and we are strictly going with top 4 overall scores go to the final round (including your caveat for bert and wiz)?  I just want to make sure I'm 100% on that...

• Thanks 1

@guillavoie I for one am pleased with that resolution.  However, I still stand by my voluntary withdrawal from the competition.  While I wouldn't have been able to respond to @bertsampson's score with the remaining time, I also likely wouldn't have bothered even if I had the time, as the prospect of playing through the game again was, frankly, a thought I did not relish.  If his score is considered valid, then I lost fair and square.  Thank you for stepping in, as I really only wanted a fair resolution to this whole debacle.  And I do want to reiterate as well that, despite my tone, I have no ill feelings toward you OR @BeaIank.  I look forward to next year's competition!

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

@guillavoie I for one am pleased with that resolution.  However, I still stand by my voluntary withdrawal from the competition.  While I wouldn't have been able to respond to @bertsampson's score with the remaining time, I also likely wouldn't have bothered even if I had the time, as the prospect of playing through the game again was, frankly, a thought I did not relish.  If his score is considered valid, then I lost fair and square.  Thank you for stepping in, as I really only wanted a fair resolution to this whole debacle.  And I do want to reiterate as well that, despite my tone, I have no ill feelings toward you OR @BeaIank.  I look forward to next year's competition!

Well, I guess if you're still withdrawing from the Tourney, that makes things simple: Top 4 go through, regardless of where Bert places...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

@guillavoie: just for clarification's sake, am I to understand that the 1 v 1 bracketing is over and we are strictly going with top 4 overall scores go to the final round (including your caveat for bert and wiz)?  I just want to make sure I'm 100% on that...

You really don't want to get stuck playing me 1 on 1 do you? 😂

• Haha 1

And @the_wizard_666, I improved my best score to +6 just now 😛   I know you rage-quit before, but please reconsider and play round 2...

Tell you what, just for you, I'll play Golf (and ONLY Golf) this week.  Obviously my +3 doesn't count since I didn't take a picture, but I'd happily keep our personal competition going. 

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

You really don't want to get stuck playing me 1 on 1 do you? 😂

I consider you the second scariest adversary left, outside of Bert, but you gotta beat the best to win it all, so I would have enjoyed trash-talking you all week.  However, I'm really good at making the cut when there are multiple spots available, so my chances of getting into the final if it's strictly top 4 just went waaaaaaay up... 😛

I consider you the second scariest adversary left, outside of Bert, but you gotta beat the best to win it all, so I would have enjoyed trash-talking you all week.  However, I'm really good at making the cut when there are multiple spots available, so my chances of getting into the final if it's strictly top 4 just went waaaaaaay up... 😛

Honestly I am kinda bummed we're not playing 1 on 1, but hopefully I see you in the finals!

• Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yes, no more brackets, for two reasons : 1. It allows us to make this 9 players second round exception possible. 2. In all honesty, the setup with 3 games and the fancy rules for points Bea came up with fits better in a pool elimination style round than a brackets round.

I'm very happy to hear that you are satisfied with my arbitration, and I now thank you for weighting your opinion prior in the thread as it did gave me some good points to consider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Man, it is totally up to you to participate or not in the round 2 competition, and I will respect your decision whatever you decide. But, by principle, we will leave the opportunity open for you to join in all week long, only because it is what was judged as the best resolution for the situation. If you don't post a score, then the result will be that you accepted the first round elimination and nothing will be affected for the other players.

But, you sure know that I wish you'd play, haha!

27 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

I also take the time to add that while this whole situation brought up some heated arguments and posts from some of the players, both Bea and I aren't taking it on a personal level. While there was indeed some abrasiveness in the tone of some of the posts, I can 100 % guarantee that a lot of the criticism and constructive comments will be taken in account when we will prepare and host next year's season. We value every players and their contribution to the contest, and this incident is something that we should construct upon to try to work for the contest in a constant betterment pattern, adjusting to what the players want and propose.

In short, you guys still all rock!

stone cold GIF

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

Man, it is totally up to you to participate or not in the round 2 competition, and I will respect your decision whatever you decide. But, by principle, we will leave the opportunity open for you to join in all week long, only because it is what was judged as the best resolution for the situation. If you don't post a score, then the result will be that you accepted the first round elimination and nothing will be affected for the other players.

But, you sure know that I wish you'd play, haha!

You sure know how to make a guy feel wanted man! ❤️

I may consider it...I'm gonna be playing Golf anyway to try and one-up @Dr. Morbis after all...but I'm not sure how I feel about losing and still having the potential to advance to the final.  I honestly don't know how I feel about that possibility, although the likelihood of beating @bertsampson and at least three others is pretty slim anyway.  I guess I'll have to think about it.

• Like 1

First off, I'd like to say that I'm sorry that I said anything about Wiz's score.  I really don't have a problem with his picture not including the whole screen.  In fact, when I said his score was invalid, I meant that he didn't have a piece of paper with his name on it in the pic.  Something that I see as equally irrelevant seeing that he has posted many scores throughout the year, and because nobody had called him on it before.  Being old and playing in these weekly competitions for a while now, I remember this being an issue before.  It's a rule for a reason, but we're not playing for big cash prizes or special carts or anything.

B, if I had simply posted my score eight minutes earlier, all this drama could have been avoided.  I've always had a slight problem with the 11pm EST deadline, being in the PST time zone.  Guil and I had talked about it several years ago where I had stated that although it was annoying that I seemed to have less time in the end, I was ok with the cutoff.  I'd like to change that now, and ask for a 3am Monday EST cutoff time.  I'd think that would give some players a little more time if they don't mind being tired come Monday morning, and give us in the PST till midnight.  Oh, and no matter how geeky, I've always considered midnight to be pm, not am.

And finally third, I hate all this drama crap, so I'm going to go back to playing NES games and taking care of my three children, and my wife, and doing my job, and all the other fun things that life has to throw at me.  To anyone that got a little heated over this whole thing, lighten up.  This is all for fun, and if you aren't having fun, why the hell are you here?

7 hours ago, guillavoie said:

First, about @the_wizard_666 not having his full screen in his pictures : ALL his scores are still valid, including his scores in the tournament that got called out. While the writing of the rules are made to be hyper strict, common sense always guided the arbitration of this contest in a case to case manner. We accepted tons of partial screenshots in the past based on the common sense knowledge that the submission setup was easily recognizable. The Wiz's 195,900 score stands.

• Like 3

@guillavoie @BeaIank sure do put up with some shit. I know I’ve completely crapped my diaper in here. Which brings me to my next confession ole @Glovesbeat me in a shooter one week but he was late with his score. I cried and whinned “waawaaawaaa his score is late fuck that” you know what…. I got beat. Was his score a little late? Ya. But he outplayed me and I knew it.

• Love 1

First off, wow a 29-page thread!  Are these contest threads normally this long nowadays?  I feel like I've aged just reading it!

I only started following when Wiz asked me about the Pooyan video, but that seems moot now.  Sorry I was out all weekend when that came up, but FWIW I think the video looks fine.  The gameplay isn't completely perfect and the appearance of "turbo" could simply come from having two fire buttons to mash (both A and B do the same thing).  That said, I don't play Famicom games and have barely played this on my PS1 arcade classics disc, so take this info with a grain of salt.

Otherwise, glad to see things were resolved peacefully.  You guys proved yet again why this is such a great group!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

One separate comment: I personally don't think that we should change the weekly deadline, especially given this week's confusion.

A week is still a week no matter what.  We all have busy lives.  Just plan/play accordingly.

Plus, I can vouch that living in the west is not necessarily a disadvantage (I lived in Arizona when I participated).

33 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

One separate comment: I personally don't think that we should change the weekly deadline, especially given this week's confusion.

A week is still a week no matter what.  We all have busy lives.  Just plan/play accordingly.

Plus, I can vouch that living in the west is not necessarily a disadvantage (I lived in Arizona when I participated).

I agree. You get all week to play no matter what. I never got into the waiting until the last 5 minutes to post a score thing. A score that's good enough to win will hold up no matter when it's posted. If I post a first place level score on Monday it's not like everyone is magically going to become good enough to beat it by Sunday night if it's truly good enough to win.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug