IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Pools

BeaIank

3 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Hard to argue with records I dont have access to. I will say Im not sure it takes a lot of "stones" to complain on a vintage videogame website where most dont people dont know anyone else in person. Theres certainly an argument it doesnt make sense to complain about volunteer mods, but lack of "stones" to do so? On here? Come on. If essentially anonymous bitching puts your mystery friends on edge, Im not sure how they manage to navigate the real world. 

I'm not gonna out anyone who isn't willing to out themselves, so I'll leave it up to them if they want to make any sort of public statements.  But there were several weeks through the competition that it was obvious there was zero effort made beforehand to test out whether the games are suitable to be played in the first place.  And the few times there was an effort made, it was to basically be as punishing as possible and discouraging participation for most average players.

Holy fuck I’m glad I didn’t play in this tournament. 
@BeaIank @guillavoie

You should just cancel this whole thing. 
I feel for you two. You put a ton of time into this, while living and working a real life.

Neither one of you deserve this bullshit abuse.

Thanks for hosting this competition. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Not trying to fan the flames or sway anything, or take a stab at anyone, but whenever I needed clarification on a rule or circumstance @BeaIankhas been helpful. The rules are clearly stated and if someone didn't read the rules stating Brasilia time, that's on them.  It feels like it has been many months since the change from the "standard" was changed and I haven't participated as often as I wanted to. Yesterday, I happened to submit my losing score an hour before it or something along those lines and if I had missed it (even with a winning score) it would have been on me for not knowing the right time. Stuff happens.

Maybe there is a way to implement a floating countdown timer in a thread when an event is occuring? Just a thought.

7 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Thanks, I had actually forgotten about that until now.

The day gutsman rage quit forever lol

@Bearcat-Doug trying to forget when a rookie tapeworm knocked him off the podium and I vaulted into legend.

Edited by docile tapeworm

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Lol I was just rereading that thread and realized the shooter genre finally “clicked” (I mean I’m still not a great player in the genre) with me. I just stayed playing that week for hours….

Claims to be "not a great player in the genre" yet has multiple shooter championships. 

• Haha 1

P

47 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

And the few times there was an effort made, it was to basically be as punishing as possible and discouraging participation for most average players.

Most common complaint there is 1 life contests. Its a misconception that they make the contests "harder." For those of us who have busy lives, they actually give us a better chance to compete. If you gave the top players a full set of lives, guys like me who have wives, kids, jobs, etc may be able to see more of the game, but less of the leaderboard unless time magically appears. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

P

Most common complaint there is 1 life contests. Its a misconception that they make the contests "harder." For those of us who have busy lives, they actually give us a better chance to compete. If you gave the top players a full set of lives, guys like me who have wives, kids, jobs, etc may be able to see more of the game, but less of the leaderboard unless time magically appears. 

Funny, that's not what I was referring to, but since you mentioned them...why have that rule in a game like Elevator Action where there is zero way to prove that someone didn't die at some point in their run? The top players still post redonkulous scores, but unless there's a score cap that is reasonably accessible to many players (like, say, Contra), what's the point of that restriction?  And hell, why make any sort of restrictions like that at all before the tournament stage anyway?  Exceptions could be made for something like SMB where people will likely play regardless of the ruleset, but I would also argue that if a game is so damn broken that you have to change the rules to allow it to be used, why bother using it? 

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Pages 6 and 7 give me the old 404...

Regardless, like I've stated before, I'm okay with being in or being eliminated based on a ruling that makes sense.  I'm not okay with the "fuck it" attitude being presented by the person in charge of making said ruling.  I've mentioned a few other gripes in my posts, but that's the gist of it.  I wasn't gonna win, and frankly I was surprised to get as far as I did, but all of this really turns me off of even continuing to compete, so I simply won't, regardless of what happens.  Maybe next year I may rejoin the contest, but as it is there's a sour taste in my mouth right now and I'm officially out of 2021 regardless. 

Wonder if someone can get Bimmy Lee back on board...

2 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Funny, that's not what I was referring to, but since you mentioned them...why have that rule in a game like Elevator Action where there is zero way to prove that someone didn't die at some point in their run? The top players still post redonkulous scores, but unless there's a score cap that is reasonably accessible to many players (like, say, Contra), what's the point of that restriction?  And hell, why make any sort of restrictions like that at all before the tournament stage anyway?  Exceptions could be made for something like SMB where people will likely play regardless of the ruleset, but I would also argue that if a game is so damn broken that you have to change the rules to allow it to be used, why bother using it? 

Pages 6 and 7 give me the old 404...

Regardless, like I've stated before, I'm okay with being in or being eliminated based on a ruling that makes sense.  I'm not okay with the "fuck it" attitude being presented by the person in charge of making said ruling.  I've mentioned a few other gripes in my posts, but that's the gist of it.  I wasn't gonna win, and frankly I was surprised to get as far as I did, but all of this really turns me off of even continuing to compete, so I simply won't, regardless of what happens.  Maybe next year I may rejoin the contest, but as it is there's a sour taste in my mouth right now and I'm officially out of 2021 regardless. 

Wonder if someone can get Bimmy Lee back on board...

I think the contests aren’t for you and maybe you shouldn’t play anymore. 
Maybe…… you should host your own competition. 
Your complaining is one of a few reasons I can’t play. 

1 minute ago, Richardhead said:

I think the contests aren’t for you and maybe you shouldn’t play anymore. 
Maybe…… you should host your own competition. 
Your complaining is one of a few reasons I can’t play. 

You chose to sit out because the pot boiled over during the tournament you chose to sit out of?  How does that even make sense?

Anyway, I'm done.  I've said my piece, and whether y'all agree or disagree is irrelevant.

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

You chose to sit out because the pot boiled over during the tournament you chose to sit out of?  How does that even make sense?

Anyway, I'm done.  I've said my piece, and whether y'all agree or disagree is irrelevant.

You’re irrelevant.

You’ve been complaining about bullshit from the beginning. Made me not want to be part of this.

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Seriously, most NES games are broken in terms of scoring and the weekly contests have always employed weird rulesets to work around this. Sticking only to games with non-broken scoring would be very limiting, mostly older arcade titles.

With over 1500 or so games between NES and Famicom, not even counting homebrews, you're telling me there's no way to find 32 that can be played that would be both fun AND competitive without resorting to convoluted rules?  I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

1 minute ago, Richardhead said:

You’re irrelevant.

You’ve been complaining about bullshit from the beginning. Made me not want to be part of this.

Refer to my avatar.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

With over 1500 or so games between NES and Famicom, not even counting homebrews, you're telling me there's no way to find 32 that can be played that would be both fun AND competitive without resorting to convoluted rules?  I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

Refer to my avatar.

Batman on NES is a fun game. It has a scoring system. You can sit in one place early on and just mash the punch button for infinite points. Can't play Batman without "convoluted rules".

Repeat ad nauseum for basically every NES game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Batman on NES is a fun game. It has a scoring system. You can sit in one place early on and just mash the punch button for infinite points. Can't play Batman without "convoluted rules".

Repeat ad nauseum for basically every NES game.

Not every, but most that aren't older arcade ports or the rare exception such as Adventure Island.