IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

Moderator · Posted
2 hours ago, Zach said:

that's what we've all been saying for the past 10 something years

and by "we" I mean everyone who doesn't collect sealed and/or graded games

I don’t collect sealed or graded games and couldn’t care less about what those people do. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, OptOut said:

Nice to see Certified Collectables is still on the WATA grind...

I'm sure he'll make a tidy profit on that GBA He-man 8.5! And the Atari market is just BOUND to come roaring back any day now, huh, lol! 🤣

Hahaha is this guy still going?!

I swear I’ve seen him grade an Atari Frogger before. This guy must have the WATA VIP pass, he’s always got something graded and most of it is rubbish. 

He really loves his Atari…any day now he’s going to be a millionaire cashing those Atari games out.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Maybe I'm just bitter, but I think investing in collectibles is inconsiderate to hobbyists...

Investors should stick to stocks, cryptocurrency, etc. - things that people don't actively participate in and derive personal value from outside of a purely speculative/financial context.

And as a selfish aside, my biggest gripe with this whole grading / auction scandal is that it's putting too many eyes on the hobby. Just like with the "mini consoles" wave, bandwagon collectors see these YouTube videos and news articles, then rush into the hobby on a whim, feeding price-spikes across the board by increasing demand on everything from loose to sealed / graded games.

I liked it better when nobody cared what game collectors were doing...

-CasualCart

I would like to make 2 counterpoints:

1. Investors can do what they like, just as long as they don’t manipulate unethically. If you look deeper into the subject, you’d find there are unethical investors/scammers across all fields of loose cart/CIB/sealed/graded collecting. It’s not the hobby itself that’s the problem , but the individuals who are bad eggs and ruining it for the rest of the market. 

2. I liked it too when less people cared (about games collecting). However, the advantage to this current situation  is that I’m selling my games a lot easier than ever before. In addition, I’d like to ask “if not many cared, then would this thread or forum gain as much traction as it has up till now?” I  can personally confirm that I’ve never read a 100+ page thread on a gaming forum, and as diligently as I have than on this thread. Why? Because of the popularity increase, it’s got me hooked! 🤓

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted
7 hours ago, GPX said:

I would like to make 2 counterpoints:

1. Investors can do what they like, just as long as they don’t manipulate unethically. If you look deeper into the subject, you’d find there are unethical investors/scammers across all fields of loose cart/CIB/sealed/graded collecting. It’s not the hobby itself that’s the problem , but the individuals who are bad eggs and ruining it for the rest of the market. 

2. I liked it too when less people cared (about games collecting). However, the advantage to this current situation  is that I’m selling my games a lot easier than ever before. In addition, I’d like to ask “if not many cared, then would this thread or forum gain as much traction as it has up till now?” I  can personally confirm that I’ve never read a 100+ page thread on a gaming forum, and as diligently as I have than on this thread. Why? Because of the popularity increase, it’s got me hooked! 🤓

It's true that an influx of investors wouldn't be a problem if it didn't have ripple effects within collectibles markets, but things rarely seems to play out that way. Regardless of whether or not there is any unethical manipulation going on, pushing a speculative focus into hobbies like ours makes people care more about returns and profit than the joy of collecting and playing games that brought them here in the first place.

I can see how this would all be exciting if you're into sensationalism and flipping games, but that's not what I'm personally here for.

My apologies if I'm coming-off too aggressive here @GPX haha. I'm glad that you see positives in this situation, but I just find it all so frustrating and I needed to vent a little bit. 

-CasualCart

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

12 hours ago, doner24 said:

I don’t collect sealed or graded games and couldn’t care less about what those people do. 

I agree, the thing is retro gaming has grown so much more popular due to the ideal demographic getting older and having plenty of disposable income, the Internet making information on game sales so much more available, as well as gaming collector’s showing off their collections and talking about retro games and new ways to pay them via videos and Instagram. 

There are a few games that I would like to have that are now out of my price range, but I just accept that the ship has sailed on those for me and maybe if the bubble bursts I can get them. I would love for games to be cheap again when people thought I was nuts buying old games. However, I mostly only collect what looks of interest for me so I don’t worry about missing out on completing my set.

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I agree, the thing is retro gaming has grown so much more popular due to the ideal demographic getting older and having plenty of disposable income, the Internet making information on game sales so much more available, as well as gaming collector’s showing off their collections and talking about retro games and new ways to pay them via videos and Instagram. 

There are a few games that I would like to have that are now out of my price range, but I just accept that the ship has sailed on those for me and maybe if the bubble bursts I can get them. I would love for games to be cheap again when people thought I was nuts buying old games. However, I mostly only collect what looks of interest for me so I don’t worry about missing out on completing my set.

Lots of people in this hobby have a crazy idea that they deserve to buy anything they want for pennies, or at least what it cost 20 years ago. It’s entitlement at its core. When I was growing up we couldn’t afford games, even though I wanted what my friends had, I never felt like I deserved them just cause. I grow up, get disposable income and can suddenly afford some of the things that I couldn’t before. Still want other things that are above what I feel comfortable with, so I don’t buy them and don’t feel like I deserve them at anything other than what they are going for. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 3

8 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Lots of people in this hobby have a crazy idea that they deserve to buy anything they want for pennies, or at least what it cost 20 years ago. It’s entitlement at its core. When I was growing up we couldn’t afford games, even though I wanted what my friends had, I never felt like I deserved them just cause. I grow up, get disposable income and can suddenly afford some of the things that I couldn’t before. Still want other things that are above what I feel comfortable with, so I don’t buy them and don’t feel like I deserve them at anything other than what they are going for. 

Amen! I grew up similarly. My dad had a great job, but there were five of us kids. I got some of the big name games growing up, but not most and so I was grateful for what I had. I remind myself that when I wish I had other games. I don’t deserve any of it and I am grateful to have much more than I need.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 2:54 PM, darkchylde28 said:

#TRUTH

That dude has more dedication to picking nits than ever I did as an angry, frustrated 15 year old calling BBSs constantly to fill all my free time arguing (until I got a girlfriend and BBSs were killed by the internet).

Off Topic and a few days late to respond to you (like I said earlier, using this holiday weekend to catch up on this thread!), but for the last three or four years, there has been a lively return of BBSes, believe it or not.  Especially in the 8-bit computer space!  There are a ton of Commodore 64 BBSes that have sprouted up in the last few years and are truly a good time to dial/Telnet into.  Some Apple II and Atari 8-bit ones have sprouted up as well, as well as IBM/DOS ones too!  

Just in case if you are interested, start at this C64 list here:

http://cbbsoutpost.servebbs.com/index.php

Edited by Sumer
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, doner24 said:

Being quite possibly the lone member who relies on permanent disability (SSI) to have some type of hobby, I 100% agree.

With that said... I was once told that getting what one wants should be a reward, and not an entitlement or convenience. Which is why I do not complain about stuff, and instead hope to feel like I earned the means to have a normal-ish life, a means to display what I chose to collect/keep, as well as not have to have my interest ending issues repeat themselves.

As for those you also have issues with, it is why I removed a block of text from my response. Atop of me deciding to stop promoting CAS as a viable option, along with me posting any reasons why I chose to do both options. 😅

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CasualCart said:

It's true that an influx of investors wouldn't be a problem if it didn't have ripple effects within collectibles markets, but things rarely seems to play out that way. Regardless of whether or not there is any unethical manipulation going on, pushing a speculative focus into hobbies like ours makes people care more about returns and profit than the joy of collecting and playing games that brought them here in the first place.

I can see how this would all be exciting if you're into sensationalism and flipping games, but that's not what I'm personally here for.

My apologies if I'm coming-off too aggressive here @GPX haha. I'm glad that you see positives in this situation, but I just find it all so frustrating and I needed to vent a little bit. 

-CasualCart

I understand your viewpoint. There is a lot of venting on this thread, you ain’t the only one buddy! 😉

Edited by GPX
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2021 at 3:43 PM, kell said:

Get your point. But assuming it is listed as a BIN, it’s can’t be used as a good gauge of the actual market value. 

Cant count how many times I’ve seen really low BINs over the years that were immediately bought. Shouldn’t affect market value unless there is enough of them to satisfy demand. An outlier shouldn’t impact it.

It's about perception.  Maybe you know this, maybe I know this.  But the random clown they're looking to screw, the newbie, or the desperate, they'll see that as a lucky one off they missed.  They'll see all the fraud BIN or starting prices floating around and figure...damn I better act now or it could get worse if that's as cheap as it could ever get.  It's still good use for manipulation.  I've seen the tactic before.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Shmup said:

This guy must have the WATA VIP pass, he’s always got something graded and most of it is rubbish. 

That youtube channel is literally the guy (mark I think?) pumping his bad investments so he can sell them later. His opinions are questionable at best. lol

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1