IGNORED

Times Where Store Brand Just Doesn't Cut It?

Aguy

Especially when it comes to food, I mostly buy store brand because it's just as good as name brand but less. But when it comes to Oreo cookies, I have yet to find a store brand that stacks up. Also one time I bought a Walmart brand water filter for our Brita and it made the water taste awful. Never do that again.

Store brand ice cream is usually garbage tier. But ice cream recipes and contents from brand-to-brand vary pretty widely, so the store brand is at least on par with other lower tier products.

Aside from USDA-graded items, though, most food items the grocery store don't really have that much objective quality stratification, and it can just be a matter of taste.

EDIT: generally speaking, I've found that "store brand" quality is going to be approximately on the tier of product that aligns with the tier of store.  i.e. WalMart "great value brand", coming from a lowest-tier store will be comparable to the lowest-tier "name brands" -- versus something like Harris Teeter or Wegmans being higher tier grocers having store brands that align with the a much better tier of branded product.

Edited by arch_8ngel

I am the king of buying store brands, on a first name basis with Up & Up (Target) and Signature Select (Vons/Safeway), but I can think of a few that I won't touch.

Toothpaste - not too many store brands available, but I stick to Colgate.

American cheese - Kraft all the way, yet to find a store brand that competes. To be fair, I rarely buy American cheese anymore.

Certain condiments, like A1 sauce. Can't find a store brand that matches it. Miracle Whip, too (not really a straight mayonnaise guy.)

Just about anything electronic beyond a small adapter or something. Only exception was a robot vacuum I got that had good reviews and had a sweetheart price for its features. If it conks out, I'm not out much, and so far it works fine. Not really a store brand per se, but it's not a Roomba, Neato, or Roborock.

Edited by Tulpa

2 hours ago, Aguy said:

Also one time I bought a Walmart brand water filter for our Brita and it made the water taste awful. Never do that again.

Oh, yeah, I got burned by that, too.

Actually, at one point they were okay, but something changed and yeah, Brita or bust.

5 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Pop Tarts and cereal. My mom would always say theyre tjust as good as the name brand. No mom, Shoprite pop tarts are garbage and no where near the same neither is their off brand cookie crisp that doesn't come in a box.

Soda is another one. The store brands usually taste nothing like the name brand. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Soda is another one. The store brands usually taste nothing like the name brand. 

While I agree they taste nothing like the name brand, I did actually like some of them. Like Sam’s Choice wasnt to bad to me. And to Shoprites credit I did prefer their Spiral Mac and Cheese to krafts standard elbow

2 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Sounds like you need more fiber.  Probably all that Cinci chili. 

I'm not from Cincinnati lol 

Also like 99% of my diet is fruit and veggies, I don't eat meat. 🥦🥬🥔🥕🍅🌽🍠🥑

You try cleaning up a spill with store brand papertowl? It's horrible. 

Edited by SailorScoutMandy
Spelling
  • Haha 1

@Aguythe closest store brand to Oreo I've tried is Kroger kalidos 

https://www.kroger.com/p/kroger-kaleidos-original-double-filled-chocolate-sandwich-cookies/0001111008719

Kroger might be Ralphs in California but idk. They're good on the crisp cookie part instead of that claggy, stick in yer teeth crap most off brands have. I am obsessed with em and always wanna get them when we go to kroger. The regular, chocolate on chocolate, mint, and golden ones are the best but they do weird ones that can have that thick chonky biscuit that rotate like unicorn, fruity cereal, keylime coconut usually not as good.

6 minutes ago, drxandy said:

@Aguythe closest store brand to Oreo I've tried is Kroger kalidos 

https://www.kroger.com/p/kroger-kaleidos-original-double-filled-chocolate-sandwich-cookies/0001111008719

Kroger might be Ralphs in California but idk. They're good on the crisp cookie part instead of that claggy, stick in yer teeth crap most off brands have. I am obsessed with em and always wanna get them when we go to kroger. The regular, chocolate on chocolate, mint, and golden ones are the best but they do weird ones that can have that thick chonky biscuit that rotate like unicorn, fruity cereal, keylime coconut usually not as good.

Our main haunt is a Ralph's and you are right, their creme sandwich cookies are the best knockoff but the creme just isn't as creamy/smooth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phart010 said:

N64 and jungle green controller.9E1E7BC9-0D71-447A-A2EB-F096BDCF5B10.jpeg.950ce7eda75f30c71b4366b26eab4d49.jpeg

@CasualCart did you draw that by mistake? Surely you weren’t intending to make a statement 🤭

Luckily in my apt building I just take the trash bag down the garbage (or "rubbish" as my late wife would say) chute on my floor! 🙂