IGNORED

Times Where Store Brand Just Doesn't Cut It?

Aguy

16 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I buy bargain-brand for almost everything. 

But bargain-brand garbage bags are never a good idea.

-CasualCart

893270178_GarbageBargainBrand.jpg.5e2112d950e49c0a26d71c4287dc7e3f.jpg

That is what you save shopping bags for 😛 

Other than construction bags for renovation work, I think I have only bought one bag of kitchen trash bags in the last 20 years.

• Wow! 1

9 hours ago, Estil said:

Can you imagine the crazy guy who hosted a poker night and offered this? 😄

67195L.jpg

Hey man, ya got a smoke? 😄

8f1dd0cc697f4a466b0ba83dba81e70b.jpg

I wonder who they contracted production from.

The thing with store-brands -- they are frequently a 1:1 product with some other offering from another brand you might recognize.

A low-tier store is going to contract with a low-tier producer.  A higher-tier store is going to contract with a mid/upper-tier producer.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Other than construction bags for renovation work, I think I have only bought one bag of kitchen trash bags in the last 20 years.

Yes!  And I hope we never do any of those stupid plastic grocery bag bans (What do they think trash bags are made from?  And even with reusable cloth bags you should still use plastic bags for raw meat and raw poultry so you don't get the cloth bag all sticky inside as well as avoid cross contamination)...I DO in fact sometimes use grocery bags as little garbage bags and they are PURRFECT for doing the litter box! 😄 

Edited by Estil

51 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I wonder who they contracted production from.

The thing with store-brands -- they are frequently a 1:1 product with some other offering from another brand you might recognize.

A low-tier store is going to contract with a low-tier producer.  A higher-tier store is going to contract with a mid/upper-tier producer.

But the yellow Cost Cutters brand (Kroger) was waaaaay back in the mid-to-late 80s.  I imagine it was quite different then.

23 minutes ago, Estil said:

But the yellow Cost Cutters brand (Kroger) was waaaaay back in the mid-to-late 80s.  I imagine it was quite different then.

No, if anything it was LESS different then.  Kroger was not running their own brewery or running their own cigarette factory.

I would wager that a contract brewery for one of the majors was responsible for their product. Could well have been low-end, like Milwaukee Best or maybe Natural Light -- but I seriously doubt it was a unique dedicated product line.

Similar for the cigarettes.

EDIT:  so not a "major" but almost definitely a duplicate of another product with a store label:

https://untappd.com/b/falstaff-brewing-company-cost-cutter/3024785

"Falstaff Brewing" was responsible, evidently.

Edited by arch_8ngel

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Not in Colorado (at least in the near future).  Starting in January you get to pay $.10 for each single use bag at stores (with a few minor exemptions). And it gets better - in 2024 they will be banned altogether.  🥴

I have some folding reuseable bags that I will start using again (got out of the habit when the grocery stores wouldn't let us use them during the virus goofiness) not only for groceries but just about everything else.

I generally reuse such bags - really handy for cleaning the cat box.  My guess is someone will cleverly sell those type of bags in boxes really cheaply.  

When cheap bags are outlawed only outlaws will have cheap bags.  

17 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I always get the most expensive primer and spray paint I can find (Which is what, like $7). One day in college I splurged on like a $4 can of spray paint and my eyes opened the world of not everything on the shelf being the same thing with different branding.

Paints are something that it is almost always worth going high-end, because the difference in pigment content and quality can be extreme.

Though the "affiliated" brand with a given store will often have at least one genuinely premium-quality line.

(having been in the miniatures hobby, though, I get a chuckle at a whole can of spray paint being $4, when itty bitty little 1.5 oz paint pots can cost that much 😛 )

• Like 2

For the most part, I think it really depends on what store you're buying the off-brand stuff from.  Almost without exception, I've been able to find (and use) non-name-brand stuff in virtually every facet of my life without experiencing any issues due to not having the "real thing."

Examples:

Diapers - @Rhapsody98 and I have concluded that buying virtually anything BUT (heh) name-brand diapers (and most often wipes as well) is a total rip off, with lower overall quality.  I'm not saying there aren't junk brands out there, but the Parent's Choice and Member's Mark stuff from Walmart and Sam's (respectively) are top tier compared to every version of Luvs, Huggies, Pampers, etc., that we've ever been gifted for our kids.  I was also a huge fan of K-Mart's brand for our son, as they seemed to catch far more pee far better than even the aforementioned, although my sister in law said she had the opposite reaction with them with her little girl (probably how they "went," as my son needed more protection up front but my niece needed more in the back).  With name-brands, they've either been lower quality, lacking multiple features included by default in the store brands, or both, plus they're always more expensive, often twice as much.  Sorry, but the "big boys" just can't compete with pee stripes, cinch legs, stretch waistbands, plus extra absorbency being included as the default (not to mention cute designs/graphics which aren't the company's logo) versus being individual options to pay an upcharge for on some different name-brand variant (or just pay obscenely more if you can find a name-brand version that actually includes every feature).

Steak sauce - It's been a while, but I seem to recall the Walmart version of A1 being close enough that I didn't care about any differences, even though I could tell there was a slight one.  However, the Food City (regional chain) store brand is virtually indistinguishable from the real thing, outside of not coming on quite as strong (same flavor, zip, etc., just less "burny" than real A1 if you happen to snag too much on something, if that makes any sense).  My wife tells the story of my MIL who secretly saved money for years by refilling their A1 bottle with the same store brand stuff and my FIL never realizing it happened while demanding the real thing, then later, after they divorced, telling her her mother was crazy for wasting money on the name brand as the store brand tasted exactly the same.

Garbage bags - I've had some pretty crappy super cheap off brand trash bags before, but again, the Sam's Member's Mark stuff is top notch and absolutely worth the purchase in lieu of equivalent Hefty, Glad, etc. offerings.  For what most folks who demand the "real thing" spend on one large but normal sized box of bags, we'll spend the same and end up with 2-3 huge rolls which last our house a year or longer.

Cereal - For this, I think it depends both on the type of cereal you're buying (Cheerios, Froot Loops, Honey Smacks/Golden Crisps, Rice Crispies, etc.) as well as who made it.  For the basic stuff (Raisin Bran, Rice Crisipies, Cheerios) what you're getting and the formula to produce it is so simple that it truly doesn't matter.  For stuff that's more complicated but still on the tame side (Froot Loops, Honey Smacks/Golden Crisps) you can occasionally hit a store brand that isn't quite right compared to the real thing, but still good in its own right (Aldi's version of Froot Loops, for example, are great, but the color and flavor aren't quite correct).  For all but the most complicated stuff, I've found that you can get a generic equivalent (either store brand or commonly available third party brand) and it seems like they could have been made in the same factory as the real thing (Aldi's version of Golden Grahams and Cookie Crisp, virtually anything that Malt-O-Meal puts out).  So sure, you can get some crappy cereal that doesn't bear the real brand and not be satisfied, but you can also pay a lot less (and potentially get a lot more, like with the huge Malt-O-Meal sacks) and still get the experience of the name brand product.

Hot Dogs - I'm sure there are connoisseurs out there (and on here), but for a generic, regular-ass hot dog to just quickly cook and eat, there's little distinction between any of the numerous brands out there.  I have two picky little ones who rely on them as their go-to when all else fails who will refuse anything that isn't familiar and "the same," so believe me, if you think there are big enough differences for anyone but "trained experts" to detect in most cases, you're wrong.  Sure, there are noticeable differences between dogs of one specific meat or another or ones that mix meat versus kosher, but when it comes down to it, 95% of the cheap dogs (mixing chicken, pork, and sometimes beef) look and taste the same once you've nuked/boiled/broiled them, so no need spend more than a buck or so per package unless you're specifically looking for whatever minor difference appears in your favorite name brand version (or absolutely have to have beef/kosher, cheese filled, etc.).

Condiments - For those saying they absolutely have to have whatever specific brand, that's fine, but there is almost always a store brand equivalent somewhere that will do the job.  For us, the Food City version of tomato ketchup is basically indistinguishable from Heinz save for the labeling and price, so absolutely no need to overspend.  Many more store brands I've experienced seem to taste like Hunts (sweeter, less tart), so I can understand folks preferring Heinz having this opinion, but believe me, there are options out there, even if they're not local/convenient for you.  As far as mayo, those tend to be more of a personal preference situation, but there are plenty of store brands that do a bang up job of faking the real thing (Food City's clones Kraft's Real mayo pretty perfectly, Aldi's Whipped Dressing is pretty spot on as a clone of Miracle Whip, etc.).  As far as regular yellow mustard...I don't know that I've ever found a store brand of generic yellow mustard that didn't taste exactly the same as French's, Heinz, etc.

I'm sure I could go on, but these are the ones that stuck in my brain from paging through the thread this afternoon.  There are absolutely going to be people who can detect something about virtually any clone product that isn't the exact same as their preferred name brand, but for 95%+ of the masses, that's just not the case, and if you haven't found a discount clone that works for you yet, I encourage you to keep looking.  For non-household stuff, there might not always be a clone product available, reviews and word of mouth are your friend and can be vital to not stumbling into anything wonky/garbage.  I've had plenty of electronics, tools, cleaners, etc. that weren't of any popular brand and held up perfectly fine against those from the folks who spent far more time and money on advertising and image.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Paints are something that it is almost always worth going high-end, because the difference in pigment content and quality can be extreme.

Though the "affiliated" brand with a given store will often have at least one genuinely premium-quality line.

(having been in the miniatures hobby, though, I get a chuckle at a whole can of spray paint being $4, when itty bitty little 1.5 oz paint pots can cost that much 😛 )

I have a painter friend who will go off for hours if you mention Behr paint. He calls it "painting with pudding", and their flat paint was the only flat that he's seen sag on a wall, after using just about every brand there is. He turns down jobs if customers insist on it.

On 7/30/2021 at 3:04 PM, Tulpa said:

I am the king of buying store brands, on a first name basis with Up & Up (Target) 

It’s been years since I needed them, but the Up & Up breast milk bags were the best bags ever.  They broke less, leaked less, were easier to fill, easier to empty without spilling the contents, and were at a better price.  I will Stan Up & Up’s baby products forever.  

i'm fine with store brand products most of the time. some exceptions:

Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. i doubt this is due to quality, but rather just having developed a specific taste for it.

Mountain Dew. my pop of choice. i do enjoy most of the off brands, but they're certainly no replacement.

Doritos. every store brand i've had has been comparatively trash.

jeez, these picks make me sound like i'm 12.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. i doubt this is due to quality, but rather just having developed a specific taste for it.

I'll vouch for that. All the instant Mac & Cheeses are garbage compared to real Mac & Cheese made properly, but something about the Kraft ones just hits the nostalgia button, probably because so many of us grew up on the stuff. The store brands just don't have it, in addition to being, well, instant Mac & Cheese.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rhapsody98 said:

It has to be Kraft Parmesan cheese.  The off brand smells like feet, and won’t melt into Alfredo sauce.  Your sauce ends up being sandy because the cheese is still granular.  Kraft Parmesan or go home.  

Per our conversation yelled up and down the stairwell, I don't know that we've actually found/experienced an actual store- or off-brand product that's actually equivalent to Kraft Parmesan Cheese.  Everything we've run into has either had a lot of other cheeses in it as filler (perhaps contributing to the feet smell) or simply had cheese as an ingredient then who-knows-what chemicals for the rest, resulting in that garbage my brother had that wouldn't melt, something that actual parmesan is particularly notorious for, as once it's melted then cooled on something, it can be near impossible to get off without scraping it with a hard object with a thin, flat edge.  I'm optimistic that somewhere out there is an off-brand actual equivalent product, but you've/we've been too gun shy to bother looking.

Real Parmesan cheese is actually tricky to make. In the EU, they don't even allow cheese to be labeled as Parmesan unless it comes from a certain region of Italy and is made by a certain recipe.

I doubt Kraft is duplicating the process exactly, but they may have the clout to come close, which might explain why their "Parmesan" is so much better than the others.

1 hour ago, Estil said:

One thing you DON'T skimp on and get store brand is anything for your C-A-T! 😄 

Oh you got me that store brand cat food/litter because it was "on sale"??  I'll give you "on sale".

Cats can absolutely be monsters about refusing to do what they're supposed to when you don't get them the right thing.  And while I do agree with the overall sentiment of the first statement, there are actually a lot of store brands as far as food and litter that do the job right, as well as many name brands that offer garbage products in addition to their tried and true.  Purina seems to have been the victim of a lot of recalls over the years, many times leading to pets being poisoned because of additives/fillers.  The clay Tidy Cat stuff we got semi-recently was pure garbage when compared to virtually anything else that we've used, but it was actually available when we needed litter, so that's what we got (stuck with).  As far as food goes, I think the issue comes down to cats being notoriously picky eaters, so whatever they're used to is usually what you have to stick with unless you're blessed with a cat who eats anything or a pet food manufacturer that makes a lot of different varieties that are similar enough that your cat will still give them a fair shot.

I think as long as you don't skimp on quality, branding isn't nearly as important.

My mom had a Thai cat (the breed they used to call Siamese cats until another breed took that name.) That cat would only eat Tender Vittles cat food. Like, if we dropped the cat off somewhere for vacation, we had to make sure they either stocked Tender Vittles or we had to provide it, because that cat would starve itself rather than eat anything else.

I just looked up and apparently Purina discontinued that brand a decade ago. No idea what we would have done if that cat was still alive when that happened.