IGNORED

Times Where Store Brand Just Doesn't Cut It?

Aguy

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

Per our conversation yelled up and down the stairwell, I don't know that we've actually found/experienced an actual store- or off-brand product that's actually equivalent to Kraft Parmesan Cheese.  Everything we've run into has either had a lot of other cheeses in it as filler (perhaps contributing to the feet smell) or simply had cheese as an ingredient then who-knows-what chemicals for the rest, resulting in that garbage my brother had that wouldn't melt, something that actual parmesan is particularly notorious for, as once it's melted then cooled on something, it can be near impossible to get off without scraping it with a hard object with a thin, flat edge.  I'm optimistic that somewhere out there is an off-brand actual equivalent product, but you've/we've been too gun shy to bother looking.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Real Parmesan cheese is actually tricky to make. In the EU, they don't even allow cheese to be labeled as Parmesan unless it comes from a certain region of Italy and is made by a certain recipe.

I doubt Kraft is duplicating the process exactly, but they may have the clout to come close, which might explain why their "Parmesan" is so much better than the others.

I dont know if its considered off brand or just a different product but I got some parmesan that was more chips or shavings rather than granular like you usually find in the pasta aisle. It was also kept in a cooler near the “fancy” cheeses and that was the best thing Ive ever tasted parmesan wise. So if you get a chance take a look for that and give it a shot

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhapsody98 said:

It has to be Kraft Parmesan cheese.  The off brand smells like feet, and won’t melt into Alfredo sauce.  Your sauce ends up being sandy because the cheese is still granular.  Kraft Parmesan or go home.  

Just get a block of actual parmesan... 😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I dont know if its considered off brand or just a different product but I got some parmesan that was more chips or shavings rather than granular like you usually find in the pasta aisle. It was also kept in a cooler near the “fancy” cheeses and that was the best thing Ive ever tasted parmesan wise. So if you get a chance take a look for that and give it a shot

Because it was shavings of real block parmesan, rather than the stuff Kraft sells that is mixed with anti-caking agent.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Real Parmesan cheese is actually tricky to make. In the EU, they don't even allow cheese to be labeled as Parmesan unless it comes from a certain region of Italy and is made by a certain recipe.

I doubt Kraft is duplicating the process exactly, but they may have the clout to come close, which might explain why their "Parmesan" is so much better than the others.

You must live in some alternate dimension where Kraft makes something that can legally be called cheese rather than a "foodstuff" 😛😉

For parmesan, find your local higher-tier grocer (Harris Teeter, or a Kroger in a nicer neighborhood, Wegmans, etc), and near the deli section, they probably have a full wheel of actual parmesan that they break down into 1 lb and 1/2 lb chunks.

THAT is the "good stuff".

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

You must live in some alternate dimension where Kraft makes something that can legally be called cheese rather than a "foodstuff" 😛😉

I was comparing Kraft "Parmesan" to the knockoff "Parmesan."

I realize if we're being hoity-toity about cheese, you want the Parmigiano-Reggiano stuff from those couple of places in Italy. 😛

16 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I was comparing Kraft "Parmesan" to the knockoff "Parmesan."

I realize if we're being hoity-toity about cheese, you want the Parmigiano-Reggiano stuff from those couple of places in Italy. 😛

Sure, compared to Kraft, the off-brand grated "parmesan" is sawdust.  But even the Kraft stuff is practically just salt and anti-caking agent 😛 

And the fancy authentic stuff is what a good grocery store has an entire wheel of that they break down into chunks at the deli counter. Usually seems priced around $15-$20/lb, but goes on sale for more like $9/lb (which is closer to normal for other European origin cheeses). But the price isn't so bad, since a little bit goes a long way...

Edited by arch_8ngel

On 7/30/2021 at 8:16 PM, SailorScoutMandy said:

I'm not from Cincinnati lol 

Also like 99% of my diet is fruit and veggies, I don't eat meat. 🥦🥬🥔🥕🍅🌽🍠🥑

You try cleaning up a spill with store brand papertowl? It's horrible. 

If you're ever in Cincinnati, Skyline and Gold Star do have vegetarian alternatives. Skyline has a black bean and rice 3 way and Gold Star has a vegetarian version of the chili.

https://www.goldstarchili.com/vegetarian-chili?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInpWPzdOX8gIVDnxvBB08WAfDEAAYASACEgISFfD_BwE

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

If you're ever in Cincinnati, Skyline and Gold Star do have vegetarian alternatives. Skyline has a black bean and rice 3 way and Gold Star has a vegetarian version of the chili.

https://www.goldstarchili.com/vegetarian-chili?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInpWPzdOX8gIVDnxvBB08WAfDEAAYASACEgISFfD_BwE

Anything involving ground beef, you can make a really solid version using Beyond Beef. 

On 7/31/2021 at 11:31 AM, Tabonga said:

Not in Colorado (at least in the near future).  Starting in January you get to pay $.10 for each single use bag at stores (with a few minor exemptions). And it gets better - in 2024 they will be banned altogether.  🥴

That sounds like progress to me. Plastic bags are notorious for environmental waste/litter. I use them for lining small waste baskets around the house and for picking up dog doo, but I could easily adapt without them.

We did away with them in favor of reusable plastic or canvas bags. In fact, I'm staring at one reusable plastic bag that I've had for well over two years that still sees regular use. If it ever does tear, my local Lowes has plastic bag recycling.

On 7/31/2021 at 6:22 PM, arch_8ngel said:

Sure, compared to Kraft, the off-brand grated "parmesan" is sawdust.  But even the Kraft stuff is practically just salt and anti-caking agent 😛 

But I thought Kraft American Singles were made from 5 oz of milk per slice...as opposed to that imitation cheese made mostly with oil and water... 😞  Can you imagine having oil and water burgers? 😞 

I thought America spells cheese C-H-E-E-S-E though?  Sort of like how our local country station would ask how do you spell country [in the local area]...uhh, C-O-U-N-T-R-Y?

This thread is hilarious.  A few rebuttals to some comments made...

1. Pop/Soda - while I generally agree that generic pop is not comparable, the Sam's Cola at Walmart is legit Coca-Cola 🙂

2. Baby Stuff - Diapers etc, shockingly Aldi's has super high ratings for their baby stuff.  Would recommend.

3. Toilet Paper - hell to the naw, got some of that crap during COVID TP massacre days and yeah wow not worth it at all.

4. Velveeta is one - I swear nothing compares.  The Aldi version I tried several years was so bad I threw out a whole crockpot of rotel nacho dip.

8 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

3. Toilet Paper - hell to the naw, got some of that crap during COVID TP massacre days and yeah wow not worth it at all.

I've never understood how store brand TP can be so bad. Charmin, Angel Soft, and Cottonelle all make decent TP, just rebrand some of theirs. Why do you have to contract out to a sandpaper manufacturer?

Edited by Tulpa

3 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

4. Velveeta is one - I swear nothing compares.  The Aldi version I tried several years was so bad I threw out a whole crockpot of rotel nacho dip.

You may cook with some Look-A-Like stuff...

BUT IT WON'T COOK ENOUGH LIKE VELVEETA!

They're thin, or they're pale, or they're run...

(but at least they got the shape of the box right? 😄 )

BUT VELVEETA MARCHES ON!!  ALL THE CHICKEN AND VEGEEBLES TOO...

I have been trying for the longest time to find that commercial...it's sung to the tune of a patriotic song but now I don't even remember what it's called or how it originally goes because I always want to sing it with these Velveeta lyrics! 😄  I wonder why it is some people have thought of me as a walking commercial...