IGNORED

Your Personality?

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

Is your offline personality any different than how you portray yourself here on VGS?

I like to think most people here see me as funny and outgoing, but if you were to ask most of my friends offline they'd probably describe me as an introverted, uptight workhorse (which is entirely true haha).

So what about you?

-CasualCart

• Like 3

Very much so.

ThePhleo has been a persona of mine for years.

In the real world I’m your average hard working small business owner working his butt off wearing 37 different hats trying to keep a business afloat.

The Phleo thinks money is boring. Joseph Leo however does not…the two are not meant to ever meet eye to eye on the subject in order for me to keep my focus on the hobby…I could have been a game collecting millionaire too if ThePhleo didn’t exist 😭

• Like 3

I'm shy and quiet in person but online I can talk for a mile an hour. I take my job very seriously, but my job doesn't fit how I look or act necessarily. Finance job but I got piercings, tattoos, and stretched ears, I'm crass and loud with a mouth like a sailor. 

To me It's easier to make connections without seeing the other person's face and trying to figure out what they're thinking. 

Edited by SailorScoutMandy
Correction
  • Like 1

It's hard to say for sure since I don't really know you all see me, but it's probably safe to say that I'm more outgoing here than in real life.  At this point in my life, I have no real desire to go out and meet new people.  That's not to say I'm anti social, but I have enough friends and family in my life, that I have little desire to expand that.  However, I have no issues going to a new forum and meeting new people that way.  A place like this is especially helpful because nearly no one in my social circle has any interest in games, and I really enjoy talking about it with other gamers and collectors.  

10 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I think I'm pretty much the same offline as here. Stubborn and opinionated and outgoing and friendly for the most part. 

Same. I probably come off as more bitter or cynical on here than in real life because it's a gaming forum and I have a high standard for games. I'm often stubborn in defending my opinion but try my best not to be confrontational with other users and respect what they have to say, which is how I try to be in general in my everyday life.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

30 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Same. I probably come off as more bitter or cynical on here than in real life because it's a gaming forum and I have a high standard for games. I'm often stubborn in defending my opinion but try my best not to be confrontational with other users and respect what they have to say, which is how I try to be in general in my everyday life.

I tell people all the time at work that I'm naturally pessimistic so take what I say with a grain of salt lol

My personality is totally different. Like the Phleo had mentioned above about himself, fcgamer is just a persona I've created.

In real life I'm one of the most generous people you'll ever meet. I'm also patient as a saint. I definitely didn't get this from my father, but I think due to my job, as well as living in a hot, humid climate all the time, it forced me to learn patience.

I'd also like to think that I'm quite down to earth. Over the years I've had a lot of opportunities and have also met and befriended people from all walks of life, so I see no need for putting on airs.

The final thought is that for most who know me, they'd honestly have no idea about my game collection or the magnitude of it. Even my friend who played SMB for the first time last week, he's never seen the game room. It's not a big secret, rather it's just not something I particularly identify with IRL. Offline I'd definitely place music / artist in the highest priority / identity slot, followed by cyclist and language nerd. I think such self-identities then change how people act, too, for better or worse.

I never talk about videogames to people IRL.  Those people tend to be weirdos.  Actually I'm just kind of secretive.  I would say my online personality is subsystem of my offline personality.  It's a part of a greater whole, but there's more to me than stuff I type on a game forum.  I suspect that's the same with most people here.

• Like 1

I'm within that percentage of people with Asperger's that get bullied for no real reasons. Between this and the variations of abuse I endured (both offline and online) there were very little moments I was the real me.

But when I got to be the real me... I am kind of a Peter Parker-type of person. And have been spending the past 8 years trying to find the means to start a business. With intent to balance my personal gains in hopes of catching up to my age... And do something for those within the community I became a part of.

Both offline and online, I do my best when people make an effort to understand me.

Events Team · Posted

Quiet. Introverted. Somewhat shy, but articulate when I do speak. Somewhat analytical. Generally care about others more than myself, sometimes to a fault. I would say most of this applies to me both on and offline.

I would say I'm certainly more outgoing online than I am off, but that's just because I find it easier to form coherent sentences through text than through actual speech. I do tend to pause a lot while I'm speaking IRL, but that's just because I sometimes have trouble speaking and thinking about what I'm going to say next at the same time.

Other than that though, I don't create a barrier between my online and offline personalities like some people like to. Who you see on here is, for the most part, who I actually am as a person, just a slightly more exaggerated version of my actual personality since I've learned how to be more outgoing over time. Any differences between me online and offline have been mostly unintentional.

...Oh yeah, and lazy.

I'm very lazy.

I actually kind of had a feeling you were more of an introvert when we have talked, cool to see that I was right about that.

Administrator · Posted

Hmm, interesting topic.  I'd like to think that at the *core*, I'm the same.  And that's what I want - I don't want to be different online than I am in person, or vice versa.  

I'd guess that in reality, certain elements of my personality might be accentuated or more prominent in online settings.  For example, I probably take a bit more time in developing comments and conversations, where as in-person, it's a little bit more casual and on the fly.

I don't quite understand intentionally creating a persona and role-playing on a community / hobby type forum.  This would feel a bit strange or disingenuous to me personally - but I doubt that's what really happens for most people.  I imagine it is just that certain attributes are heightened or exaggerated a bit online.

If I meet someone from here in person, I'd want them to be like "oh, this is the spacepup I know!" - I'd feel a bit bummed if they went into things expecting something, and left disappointed.

I encourage everyone to just 'be yourself' as much as possible, as I think that is better for the community and for building stronger relationships.  But I probably also view this place a bit differently than maybe some people do.  I still view VGS, much like I did NA, as a sort of small, relatively tight-knit community of people with similar interests.  I don't think of this place like I would, say, reddit, for example.

• Like 3

Graphics Team · Posted
1 hour ago, spacepup said:

I'd guess that in reality, certain elements of my personality might be accentuated or more prominent in online settings.  For example, I probably take a bit more time in developing comments and conversations, where as in-person, it's a little bit more casual and on the fly.

I don't quite understand intentionally creating a persona and role-playing on a community / hobby type forum.  This would feel a bit strange or disingenuous to me personally - but I doubt that's what really happens for most people.  I imagine it is just that certain attributes are heightened or exaggerated a bit online.

Well said - I was actually surprised at the idea of an "alternate persona" after starting this topic. I assumed aspects of everyone's personalities were just more or less evident in a forum format - I hadn't thought too much about how an online presence could be intentionally distinct.

I have nothing against that, though. The Angry Video Game Nerd and James Rolfe aren't the same personality, and that's actually pretty neat.

-CasualCart

• Like 3
  • Agree 1