IGNORED

Would you rather lose your wallet or your phone?

Hammerfestus

Would you rather lose your wallet or your phone?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather lose your wallet or your phone?

Phone any day. Everything on my phone is in the cloud. I could literally buy a new phone the same day and pick up right where I left off. It helps that I don't buy particularly expensive phones. Right now I'm rocking a 3 year old One Plus 6T that cost me less than $600 when I bought it new.

Losing my wallet means going through the process of going to the DMV and getting a new Driver's License, getting new credit cards, updating all my recurring billing info online, getting new health insurance cards, etc. It's just a huge time sink.

So basically I'd rather drop a bunch of cash on a new phone than spend the time it takes to replace everything in my wallet.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Phone any day. Everything on my phone is in the cloud. I could literally buy a new phone the same day and pick up right where I left off. It helps that I don't buy particularly expensive phones. Right now I'm rocking a 3 year old One Plus 6T that cost me less than $600 when I bought it new.

Losing my wallet means going through the process of going to the DMV and getting a new Driver's License, getting new credit cards, updating all my recurring billing info online, getting new health insurance cards, etc. It's just a huge time sink.

So basically I'd rather drop a bunch of cash on a new phone than spend the time it takes to replace everything in my wallet.

Spoken like a true scholar

Edited by Mr. CIB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I was starting to think my willingness to simply buy another phone over doing all of that other work was just me being lazy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Right now I'm rocking a 3 year old One Plus 6T that cost me less than $600 when I bought it new.

Dude, another OnePlus user? They do exist! I had a 5 for years and then got a 7t when it launched. 

I agree though, for me it's super easy to just sign into my Google account and pick up where I left off. Every account that matters has two step authentication and I'd be impressed if a random lad off the street could do anything with a locked phone. 

• Like 2

I’m inclined towards wallet.  Not even considering cost, the havoc losing my phone would wreak would far outweigh losing my drivers license and the one card in there I actually use.  I can use my phone to fix all the issues that come with losing my wallet but not vice versa.  After reading comments it made me realize my wallet serves very little purpose any more.  It’s not like I carry cash either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I was starting to think my willingness to simply buy another phone over doing all of that other work was just me being lazy.

It's not that I'm unwilling to replace the phone (not that the hassle of replacing cards is that bad) -- it is that the security risk of losing a device that is logged into my email, amongst other accounts, is far greater than dealing with the hassle of replacing a couple of cards.  (where the hassle of the round-robin of changing passwords and forcing devices to reauthenticate greatly exceeds the relatively minor hassle of replacing credit cards -- sole "real hassle" being the driver's license)

I don't carry nor even have for that matter either one.  Just my apt keys and my debit and/or EBT card and that's only if I'm going to the grocery store a few hundred yards away.  I seldom go anywhere else (nor would I have much reason to) besides there or my grandma's (about 2/5 of a mile) every Sunday.

Yeah I'm such a weirdo...

Edited by Estil

Wallet easily... phone can rapidly cancel cards, put a lock on your ID and social for fraud, etc.  Just way too much personal access and far worse things to exploit from a phone if a competent prick gets it.  The wallet, sure they may not care and just go for the cash and dump it, but that's not a sure bet, and all that there is cheap and easy to replace with a few calls or internet taps in that phone.

5 hours ago, Estil said:

I don't carry nor even have for that matter either one.  Just my apt keys and my debit and/or EBT card and that's only if I'm going to the grocery store a few hundred yards away.  I seldom go anywhere else (nor would I have much reason to) besides there or my grandma's (about 2/5 of a mile) every Sunday.

Yeah I'm such a weirdo...

...Not as weird as me: I can't even vote in this poll because I don't own a cell phone.

I find if funny that most of you guys got along just fine a few decades ago without a cell phone and now you can't live two minutes without one?  One guy I work with forgot his phone at home one day, and he was bitching ALL DAY LONG about how it was officially the worst day of his life.  Oh what a world I live in......... 😞

9 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I find if funny that most of you guys got along just fine a few decades ago without a cell phone and now you can't live two minutes without one? 

Well, we can do a whole lot more with one. 

Car broke down in a strange neighborhood? You can have a tow truck and an Uber in minutes rather than walking for hours.

Need directions? Screw outdated maps or asking yokels who send you the wrong way. Now you not only get the route, but traffic conditions and the fastest path to save gas.

Plus you can monitor eBay and get that alert on the Panesians you need and snipe it before those chumps who have to wait until they get home to check. 😛

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Well, we can do a whole lot more with one. 

Car broke down in a strange neighborhood? You can have a tow truck and an Uber in minutes rather than walking for hours.

Need directions? Screw outdated maps or asking yokels who send you the wrong way. Now you not only get the route, but traffic conditions and the fastest path to save gas.

Plus you can monitor eBay and get that alert on the Panesians you need and snipe it before those chumps who have to wait until they get home to check. 😛

If I'm at home I've got my pc for internet stuff, and when I'm out and about, the people I'm with have cell phones 100% of the time, so I've got herd immunity for those sorts of situations 😛